30 Gallon Tank: What would you stock?

Fishgirl6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I've tried saltwater aquariums once before, but I'm finally ready (ish) to turn my 29 gallon tall+10 gallon sump into a saltwater aquarium. I'm curious as to what you all would do and what your thoughts are, but I'd also love any recommendations with the criteria below.
What I'm thinking:
1.) I don't want anything super dangerous... no dwarf lionfish (but something like a puffer is fine)
2.) I would love a reef. Coral recommendations are much appreciated. I am willing to dose and have some time and capital to buy equipment; however, I'd prefer coral that actually has a shot at living.
3.) Medium care requirements. I've done baby brine shrimp before, and I never will again... flake/pellet/frozen food would be preferred! If the fish breed and babies need live food, I can cross that bridge if it happens.
4.) I'm thinking about clownfish, so something compatible with a pair of them would be fantastic!
5.) Colorful fish/CUC appreciated! I love to actually see the fish in the tank, so something that isn't sand colored would be amazing.

I'm excited to hear what you all would do, and whatever recommendations you have!

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp, a pair of clowns, a pair of damsels. Everything juvenile. I like pairs because the fish exhibit different personalities and characteristics. My opinion.

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I've tried saltwater aquariums once before, but I'm finally ready (ish) to turn my 29 gallon tall+10 gallon sump into a saltwater aquarium. I'm curious as to what you all would do and what your thoughts are, but I'd also love any recommendations with the criteria below.
What I'm thinking:
1.) I don't want anything super dangerous... no dwarf lionfish (but something like a puffer is fine)
2.) I would love a reef. Coral recommendations are much appreciated. I am willing to dose and have some time and capital to buy equipment; however, I'd prefer coral that actually has a shot at living.
3.) Medium care requirements. I've done baby brine shrimp before, and I never will again... flake/pellet/frozen food would be preferred! If the fish breed and babies need live food, I can cross that bridge if it happens.
4.) I'm thinking about clownfish, so something compatible with a pair of them would be fantastic!
5.) Colorful fish/CUC appreciated! I love to actually see the fish in the tank, so something that isn't sand colored would be amazing.

I'm excited to hear what you all would do, and whatever recommendations you have!
If your wanting a reef, then you probably won't be able to get the puffer as most aren't reef safe. I definitely would go for a pair of clowns if I were you. I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish in my 29g and I love them. Another fish I have is a yellow watchman goby. Very fun fish to watch. Both the clowns and the goby eat pellets/flakes/frozen brine shrimp. Also the first coral I added was a duncan. Pretty easy coral to care for and very nice looking in my opinion.

OP
OP
F

Fishgirl6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp, a pair of clowns, a pair of damsels. Everything juvenile. I like pairs because the fish exhibit different personalities and characteristics. My opinion.
I definitely like the idea of pairs! Damsels look super interesting!
If your wanting a reef, then you probably won't be able to get the puffer as most aren't reef safe. I definitely would go for a pair of clowns if I were you. I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish in my 29g and I love them. Another fish I have is a yellow watchman goby. Very fun fish to watch. Both the clowns and the goby eat pellets/flakes/frozen brine shrimp. Also the first coral I added was a duncan. Pretty easy coral to care for and very nice looking in my opinion.
Thanks! I'll look into duncans and gobys! I don't think any puffers are reef safe, which is a good point.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon and I’m working on stocking. Right now just a bunch of coral and a six line. My stocking list is a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a midas blenny, and an exquisite or hellfricks fire fish. I may have to take the six line out for these guys but I’m gonna test it. I wanted a bunch of color in my tank and that’s why I chose these.

BigCalhouna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you’re thinking of the tank are having certain fish more important to you or is having coral more important to you? If you’re going for coral and fish then my tank is stocked with a pj cardinal a yellow watchman with a pistol shrimp a pair of chromis (which replaced my pair of clowns that got moved to the 90 gallon) and crabs and snails all paired with mushrooms zoas palys and other soft corals since I run an A80 on a 29gal and have no sump for more filtration/water volume

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g long with a scooter dragonet, pjamma cardinal and Banggai cardinal. I could probably get away with one more fish max.

OP
OP
F

Fishgirl6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you’re thinking of the tank are having certain fish more important to you or is having coral more important to you? If you’re going for coral and fish then my tank is stocked with a pj cardinal a yellow watchman with a pistol shrimp a pair of chromis (which replaced my pair of clowns that got moved to the
I would probably say that a 50/50 mix is the right move for me! I love cardinals... I hope to have the space for a 90 gallon soon... that would make an epic tank.

OP
OP
F

Fishgirl6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ow just a bunch of coral and a six line. My stocking list is a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a midas blenny, and an exquisite or hellfricks fire fish. I may have to take the six line out for these guys but I’m gonna test it. I wanted a bunch of color in my tank and that’s w
That sounds like an awesome tank!

BigCalhouna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably say that a 50/50 mix is the right move for me! I love cardinals... I hope to have the space for a 90 gallon soon... that would make an epic tank.
It’s more doable than you think also especially since you have a higher water volume which leads to less water parameter swings. As for the coral you can do depends on the light you plan on using as well as difficulty and willingness to dose! I learned from going to my LFS and talking to the people who worked there as well as the regular customers that would be in there for stocking my tanks with compatible fish and coral combinations ‍♂

OP
OP
F

Fishgirl6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more doable than you think also especially since you have a higher water volume which leads to less water parameter swings. As for the coral you can do depends on the light you plan on using as well as difficulty and willingness to dose! I learned from going to my LFS and talking to the people who worked there as well as the regular customers that would be in there for stocking my tanks with compatible fish and coral combinations ‍♂
That's why I'm so excited about a 30 gallon! 10 gallons just had a bunch of water swings.
I have this light at the moment, but can add more if needed. Amazon.com: LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank: Home Improvement
I'm willing to dose, but I think it's best to start out with coral that is on the hardy side of the spectrum. I'm still not sure if LPS or SPS is the way I want to go.

Back