300 gallon build

Jbob-Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So I haven't updated in quite a while, but I have finally been making some progress on my big 300g tank! I have been working hard on getting my stand cleaned up, sanded, stained, and reinforced. Everything is finally finished. I found some nice black iron hinges for my four doors, and my wife ordered some very fitting door knobs (my love for sea turtles). I gutted the inside vertical supports that were dried up and cracked and replaced them with new 2x4s (2 per corner) and 2x6s at the middle front and back. I also dropped the floor to give more head space inside the stand for cleaning, by laying my bottom frame 2x4s flat rather thank standing. This gives me 10.5" of clearance from the top on my sump to the top of the doors.

I have purchased my dolphin pump, protein skimmer, wave makers, testing kit, refractometer, and my RODI system. RODI is hung up, but still dry because I still need my water tank for storage and mixing. Also need to buy a couple of connections to supply the water to it, and a float valve for auto shut off. Still need my lights, sand, and filter media, but I'm getting very close!

I already have a bunch of dry coral that I brought home from Hawaii that I am going to bond together for my coral tree and need to get my live rock to make my arches. Lighting is next and already know it's not going to be cheap, but it will be one of the last purchases besides 300 lbs of live sand. It's all coming together!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the project coming? I am doing a replace the 140 with a 300.
Commissioned the tank builder in Nov 2020.
Got it in late Dec 2020. Holidays put a stop on the start, so we did not start till mid Jan...
Been doing a lot of research reading, designing on paper (even did cardboard prototypes) , chatting with other reefers to see what they like and don't like as far as equipment and also what has or did not work for them as far as chemicals or daily practices.
I also been trying to save cash where I can buy buying slightly used stuff and making things myself.
Check out my build for ideas, I hope it inspires you...

OP
OP
J

Jbob-Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the project coming? I am doing a replace the 140 with a 300.
Commissioned the tank builder in Nov 2020.
Got it in late Dec 2020. Holidays put a stop on the start, so we did not start till mid Jan...
Been doing a lot of research reading, designing on paper (even did cardboard prototypes) , chatting with other reefers to see what they like and don't like as far as equipment and also what has or did not work for them as far as chemicals or daily practices.
I also been trying to save cash where I can buy buying slightly used stuff and making things myself.
Check out my build for ideas, I hope it inspires you...
Congrats on the new tank! Mine is slowly coming along. I've already purchase all of the filtration and water movement equipment that I will need to get the tank started (protein skimmer, return pump, heaters, and wave makers), and a water testing kit and refractometer. I still need to buy my lighting ($2400+/-), sand, a 100g water container for my newly purchase RODI, salt, and dry, live rock. My tank is still in the garage as I need to finish cleaning it and perform a leak test. Then it's just getting the massive thing in the house and onto the stand... There are other smaller items that I still need to get as well, but not until after the tank is in the house (plumbing, etc).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back