OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
it did just occur to me, that in order to achieve a slicker looking back for the control panel I can get a black acrylic panel, or a black sheet of acrylic and spray paint it black

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looking good. Black pvc board would work well for your panel.
Thank you! that's an awesome Idea. It'll look so clean.

I've also decided to upgrade the return pump and use the VarioS-8. I will run it Internally and possibly connecting it to a VDM module down the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like the way you set up your apex, nice and clean look! Well done sir ! Following along
thank you! it took some time to find an arrangement I liked. In the end I have space on the bottom left for another eb8, but after a few calculations I've realized that I can manage with only 3 and even then I have about a 10 outlets available for use still. I already know four of these will go for future radion lights, and the rest might go towards a potential frag tank I'll possibly be setting up

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Day finally came to take down the tank. It's always a bit emotional to see a tank you've been running and caring for for the last 8 years empty, but it was exciting knowing what was coming!

20200801_223200.jpg

20200803_123530 (1).jpg

All of the fish went into a 100 gallon rubbermaid trough, i made a small plywood mount for lighting and it had proper circulation

20200801_122808.jpg

20200806_133033.jpg

Attachments

• 20200806_133033.jpg
    20200806_133033.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
when our house was first made, half of the houses outlets were added to the same circuit breaker. This includes the kitchen, living room, bedroom, and the family room where the tank is.

this means that the circuit breaker would flip about once a week. If we used the microwave, toaster, or vacuumed while the TV was on the breaker would switch and the tank would be out of power. Having the tank out of the way gave us the ability to hook it up to its own circuit breakers, the four outlet panel divided between two of them.

This took an entire day to do, but it was worth every minute now that we can use the microwave without the risk of power going out!

20200815_201726.jpg

20200815_135539.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It was during this time that I had to travel for work. During the process, there was damage with the bubble regulator on my calcium reactor which caused alk to leech into the tank.

Sad to say, but insane alk swing that came from this resulted in the near loss of most of my coral.

The ammonia spike that came from the ammonia spike caused fish to drop one at a time. I came home to find the water cloudy.

As sad as it was to think, I would be moving forward with a blank slate as far as anything with a skeleton and fish.

Zoas appeared to be doing great though, surprisingly enough.

I did lose a few of my favorite pieces. I'm a big fan of old school corals and my absolute favorites being Sunset Montipora and red dragon Acro. These are 100% on my to acquire list.

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I gave all of the old equipment a citric acid bath, I love how clean everything came out!

I also wanted to start clean. I took all of my rock an gave it double the acid baths. Following this they stayed in a Rubbermaid tub with circulation for a few weeks to let everything seed, I tested the ammonia to make sure everything went appropriately and I was gladly able to start the tank with clean, cycled rock!
received_907503333083024.jpeg

20200803_123048.jpg

make sure you're safe and use gloves and glasses when dealing with acid! a mask works as well, these are not vapors you want in your lungs.

20200803_123118.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
After aqua scaping, Plumbing has to be one of my favorite parts of a reef tank. It's like

I used the reverse check valve in order to cut the siphon for the pump turning off and keep the sump from leaking

I used this as an instruction, but modified it slightly in order to fit my design.

20200923_130506.jpg

20200817_233926.jpg

20200817_125525.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In my previous tank I used painted and bent conduit to mount the radions. This build provided a different challenge, I wanted something that hit all of the following points

• Ease of Access into the tank
    • I wanted a light setup that allowed me to be able to move around in the tank should I need it, last thing I wanted was to not be able to reach in to glue a frag or get something that fell in the back because of the lights being in the way.
  • Lights around 10 inches from the top of the tank
    • This was mainly for PAR, with the lights I was using the last thing I wanted was to restrict the par getting into the tank
  • Ability to add and move the lights around
    • Because I was starting with two and would gradually be adding more, i didn't want the lights to be fixed. I wanted to move them around when needed. This eliminated the option of hanging the lights, It also meant I couldn't build something sticking out of the wall to hold the lights in a fixed position. I also wanted it to be easily removable in case I needed maintenance or wanted them to be upgraded down the road.
  • Ability for the canopy doors to open and close
    • The lights simply being mounted to the top of the canopy would mean I couldn't open or close the canopy doors. It was another reason T couldn't hang them form the ceiling, as the doors rested on top of the cabinet when opened.
  • Ventilation for the lights
    • This is self explanatory, I needed room for the lights to have ventilation to prevent overheating. This meant the backs would have to be opened/exposed.

In the end, a trip to ACE gave me the idea of a rail mounted inside of the canopy. I used square weldable tube to make the rail and flat bar to attach the Light. Using nuts, bolts, and spacers I was able to affix the holder to the tracks, Everything was double painted to prevent rust and I'm able to add the Radions as I choose!

my favorite thing about this design is the ability to slide the lights side to side in a section without having to take the light off completely. In the event that I do need to, a simple Allen wrench and care makes this design easily adaptable. In the end it looks really clean as well, which is a huge plus.

20200824_234801.jpg

20200824_234744.jpg

20200824_234749.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It's time to talk about the... stocking list

So here's what I have in mind, I'll obviously add them in waves and qt everything for 6 weeks
Must haves (per family requests):
-Gem tang (fathers favorite)
-Mystery wrasse (father's favorite)
-Red sea sailfin tang (mothers favorite fish)
-One spot foxface (brothers favorite fish)

Rest of the list
-Pyramid Butterflyfish Trio
-Whitetail bristletooth tang
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Sohal Tang
-purple tang
-Sargassum triggerfish
-group of rainsford gobies. I kept these in a 60 gallon macroalgae cube I kept a while back, I love watching them dart around and the detail they'll add to a larger tank
-goby/pistol shrimp pair
-mandarin dragonet pair
-starry blenny
-African midas blenny
-clownfish pair. I'm in love with the longfins, but I also liked the black storm pair I had previously

I'm also looking for a schooling fish that swims openly. I'm considering black and white chromis or scissortail dartfish, but I'm leaning towards seven lyretail anthias.

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
my personal favorite part of any build is the scaping. I like the randomness and creativity i can put into it.

for this build I chose a three island approach. On the right, I would include LPS and zoas, as well as a mushroom garden.

The center Island would be for the more invasive coral, this includes tubinaria, the more invasive zoanthids, bubble tips, and xenia!

On the left, the goal was to run a majority of sps with the occasional odd frag here and there. I made the back steep, with the hope of including the longer gorgonians and montis there.

Overall, I really like how the scape came out. Only thing I would change would be to add more hiding places for fish, but that can always be added.

I used Emarco 400 mortar to hold the rock together as I built it, and I can honestly say the stuff is strong enough to the point that the rock will break before the cement does. One bucket was all I needed for the entire build, and i was a bit generous in some parts than others

20200823_123045 (1).jpg

Here's some pics of the middle island as stuff was added, you can see the nems were NOT happy. They completely browned out.

20200828_194646.jpg

20200828_194642.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
More picks of the setup. I really like how clean the wood skin came out to be

you can also see the canopy in action, and the doors which were surprisingly difficult to add.

I ended up finding soft close hinges that didn't have to be on the inner frame of the door, it closes and opens super smoothly.

also pictured, you can see what the Radion DIY light track looks like from a distance.

side note: these WAV's are POWERFUL, i'm running them at 50% and they still do quite a bit
20200829_142221.jpg

20200829_142214.jpg

20200923_133359.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
also picked up this cam at a killer deal from Costco and the Porthole from Avast marine, I really look forward to try them out and finally be able to take some decent coral pics!

Still not ready to jump the $1k macro lens though, so i'll have to make do with the one I have.

It's an EOS Rebel T7, lens is a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, no idea what that means but I'm about to learn!

20210204_181530.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back