OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One of the more interesting challenges I had with the tank was finding away to feed nori. Because of the tank being acrylic and having such a thick brace, I wouldn't be able to just reach in and grab a magnet or clip on the wall. Furthermore I wanted a way where the front of the glass wasn't obstructed.

An additional issue I noticed was when using a clip, usually the lead tang would rip off a large chunk of it and then the rest would ignore it when it was in the water column. Boom, half a sheet of nori wasted.

My response to this was simple.

I took a 4-6" segment of 2" pvc. I drilled four holes into the top and tied it to the canopy with fishing string. I would then attach the algae sheets with two Rubberbands on each end. The result was an easy way to drop nori into the tank and then hang the pvc to dry when I'd pull it out.

I noticed the tangs became much more active in grazing this way, having access to it from all angles, than they were in the previous tank when I'd use a clip.

In addition to this, tangs would only rip off smaller chunks at a time and they'd graze on it all day. Usually I'd use two sheets folded in half, one on each end.

20201030_180831.jpg

20201030_181018.jpg

20201030_180845.jpg

20201030_181342.jpg

Last edited:

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also picked up this cam at a killer deal from Costco and the Porthole from Avast marine, I really look forward to try them out and finally be able to take some decent coral pics!

Still not ready to jump the $1k macro lens though, so i'll have to make do with the one I have.

It's an EOS Rebel T7, lens is a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, no idea what that means but I'm about to learn!

20210204_181530.jpg
How do you like the rebel t7? On the same boat about dropping so much money on a macro lens

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How do you like the rebel t7? On the same boat about dropping so much money on a macro lens
I actually really like it so far. Im not a professional photographer and I've never used a camera this high end, so I'm learning still but it takes decent macro shots for the lens it has.

I'm going to post up some pics with it later today!

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow this thread is way overdue for an update...

Ok so… acrylic sucks. I’ll just say it, it’s horrible. It scratches, it bows, it’s opaque. I remember reading before and not believing it but in the end, it’s true. Any benefit whatsoever to an acrylic tank ends the moment the tank is on the stand. Form there it doesn’t matter how cheap or light it was, its nonstop scratching. You’re ultimately left with the question: do I make big gashes trying to remove the coralline algae, or do I let the algae grow? Either way. Tank's gonna get pretty hard to enjoy

That why, last summer (2021), we reached out t9 glasscages for a custom made 300 gallon aquarium. By August of last year, it had arrived! It took 4 friends and a lot of lifting but we managed to get it right on the same sand as the previous, benefit was this tank was longer and an inch taller bringing the total water volume to 315
20210825_122004.jpg

20210825_152816.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Fun build to read through with an interesting surprise at the end! New tank looks great!! Best of luck for a smooth set .
Thanks! The change was actually a year ago, tank's gone a long way since then so over the next few days I'll have a good amount of updates to post as well

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
holy updates batman. where do I even go from here? the last thing I posted was the Aquarium change, swapped over to a Glass tank from Acrylic! This happened August of 2021. It's now 2023 :grinning-face-with-sweat: well, Since then, I've gotten all of the lights (6 radion g5 pros currently) and am currently looking to add 5 more xr15s, angled to give coral growth from the front!

about two months ago, I started my coral on the Reef Moonshiners program as well. stuff was growing previously, but it wasn't growing at the rate that I wanted it to be. the color lacked its oomph. this will be its own update

I set up a frag tank and completely remade the water change system! though I no longer do water changes (moonshiners)

I'm also starting to culture pods and phyto! The goal is to Post two or three times a week, I can't wait to revive this thing!

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
this reply is two years late, but i'm still using the t7! I did upgrade from the stock lens to a Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Di VC!
I also recently started using some extension tubes with the lens. i'm very happy with the results
here are some pics that are long overdue! ;)

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your foxface been well behaved with corals
this reply is two years late, but i'm still using the t7! I did upgrade from the stock lens to a Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Di VC!
I also recently started using some extension tubes with the lens. i'm very happy with the results
here are some pics that are long overdue! ;)

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Has your foxface been well behaved with corals
he has so far, knock on wood! this is the third magnificent I've owned. first I lost during a huge broke outbreak in the 180, second I lost during the transfer. I've never had a magnificent eat or target coral

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Here's the current fish stock list, with what i hope to add down the road
Currently:
  • Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
  • Chocolate Tang
  • Blue Hippo Tang
  • Convict Tang
  • Sohal Tang
  • Rainsford Goby
  • Achilles Tang
  • Hybrid Powder Blue/Gold Rim Tang
  • Purple tang
  • Yellow tang
  • Gem Tang
  • Starry Blenny
  • African Midas Blenny
  • Pair of Mystery Wrasse
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Pair of Black Ice Clownfish
  • Single Longfin Mocha Clownfish (looking for pair!)
  • Male Bellus Angel
  • Female Japanese Swallowtail Angel
  • 1x Royal Gramma
  • 1x Bicolor Anthias
  • 1x Bimaculate Anthias
  • 1x Lyretail anthias
  • 3x Ochrestriped Cardinalfish
The goal, moving forward, is to add more small fish! wrasses and gobies will be to come down the road :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Beautiful.

Do your different anthias species shoal together?
They do! It's pretty cool. I wanted one school originally. Had 12 lyretails in qt, they narrowed it down to 1 by the end of it. Put in 3 already qt'd bicolor, ended up with just one in the end. The goal now is to have just one or two of several different species! They stick together with the exception of the bourbonis which sticks to itself. I'll be adding another one soon to see if they pair up

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your built...Yes I agree Radions. I have 4 on my 300, XR30blues... I added 3 Kessil A360x in between each radion and I love the shimmer and extra Blue I can get. I have the Kessils at far blue come on at 7am go off at 9pm (max50%) the Radions come on at 10 go off at 7. I also use the kessil to modify program when we have people over so that the tank is not dark and so I do not have to mess with the radion program...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back