300 Gallon In-Wall + Fish Room / 115 Gallon Frag Tank

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still like the live rock? I’m sitting here figuring up how much it’s going to cost me just for sand and rock ‍♂️.

How do you like those Y check valves and where do you have them installed at? Just watched a video on them, then looked at reviews on BRS and it was a mixed bag

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the performance of the BK deluxe 250. I’m in the planning stages of a 300gallon and trying to decide between the 200 and 250.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the performance of the BK deluxe 250. I’m in the planning stages of a 300gallon and trying to decide between the 200 and 250.
Things a beast, Being I qt fish and they are getting added slowly the skimmer keeps bringing my No3 to 0 despite my heavy feeding. I would deff buy again!! Ill take a pic of the skimmer in use in a little!

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still like the live rock? I’m sitting here figuring up how much it’s going to cost me just for sand and rock ‍♂.

How do you like those Y check valves and where do you have them installed at? Just watched a video on them, then looked at reviews on BRS and it was a mixed bag
I started everything from dry/dead because I didn't want any hitchhikers, I beached the rock for 3 weeks to ensure it wouldn't leach Po4. As for the check valves I have mine located right after the return pump 90's up, before the return split. It works great for me and if it ever fails my sump would fill almost to the top but it wouldn't overflow. (fingers crossed)

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been glueing frags so I lowered the skimmer level so it doesn’t overflow when it goes nutts, this was cleaned 2 days ago!
B7EEE66F-AEEE-48B5-9D3C-CCF8242233B6.jpeg
98F2BEE0-0DDF-4964-AE13-857B04596787.jpeg
775CE101-E1DD-4CC2-A5C5-BF7EAD06C779.jpeg

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading your thread. I am blown away. Your build is truly a work of art. I do t know why but I love the blue pvc. I have two questions that popped up as I was reading.

1. Do you have insurance on your fish room and it’s contents? Does your homeowners cover it? How does all that work? As I was reading I just keep seeing dollar signs and I hear the cash drawer of an old school register. Haha! Then when I saw your generator I realized my 16 gallon aquarium is nothing and I stressed during the hurricane threat for no reason.

2. I see the need to QT. But all the medications without any sign of illness, is it all necessary? And can it have any I’ll effects on the fish going forward? Mind you this is all new to me, just something I thought of.

Again, it looks amazing. Super jealous. Can’t wait to see how it all progresses.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading your thread. I am blown away. Your build is truly a work of art. I do t know why but I love the blue pvc. I have two questions that popped up as I was reading.

1. Do you have insurance on your fish room and it’s contents? Does your homeowners cover it? How does all that work? As I was reading I just keep seeing dollar signs and I hear the cash drawer of an old school register. Haha! Then when I saw your generator I realized my 16 gallon aquarium is nothing and I stressed during the hurricane threat for no reason.

2. I see the need to QT. But all the medications without any sign of illness, is it all necessary? And can it have any I’ll effects on the fish going forward? Mind you this is all new to me, just something I thought of.

Again, it looks amazing. Super jealous. Can’t wait to see how it all progresses.
Thanks for checking it out!!! I appreciate all the kind words!
1. I do not have insurance on the fish room. The fish room is actually 6" lower then the rest of the house so in case of a leak or break the water will flow out the slider tracks and never get into the main house/kitchen (in theory). I did have an "accident" once where about a 60 gallons went on the floor lol. (I was transferring water from the FW container to the SW container and the doorbell rang and it was ups, I quickly opened the package from BRS and it was the wrong item, so I immediately got on the phone to report the wrong items and completely forgot about the water lol. Lets just say I remembered when my wife screamed, and said there's water everywhere.) but that's when I realized once the water level reached 1/4 inch it begins to exit though the slider tracks, but a 1/4 inch of water on the floor is still not fun. This build was expensive, but I've been keeping tanks sw and fw for several years and gone through ****** equipment and how much of a headache that is. I planned and saved for this build for 2 years before I even joined R2R. As for the generator that is a must when you live in south Florida, especially when you live on a small island like me, my power probably goes out 1-2 times a month in the summer (rainy season). The generator will keep me up and running for roughly 8 days.

2. I believe I haven't had any signs of illness because when I receive the fish they go directly into 1.0 copper power, I don't do an observation period before meds. If the fish is only in copper for 17 days or so(14 days plus ramp up period) it's not as bad as keeping them in it for the full 30 (if you don't have a 2nd sterile qt). In short I'm still shocked I haven't lost a fish! 8/8 with live aquaria. I will never not qt, my last 220 I lost 22 fish due to velvet.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I'm changing the title from 650 gallon pred build (this is still awhile from the actual planning phase and 2 years from any real progress) but I did just get my frag tank in so that's coming soon!

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT at 2.0 copper power, powder blue eating like a pig. Flame hawk fish eating but shy and chromis being shy still!!
8D69DE9B-ED13-4360-A946-ED5DDFFCE666.jpeg

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Build! Love the attention to detail! Have to start thinking about QT for my build. May have missed it but what size is your QT? Are you also QT corals and CUC?

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Build! Love the attention to detail! Have to start thinking about QT for my build. May have missed it but what size is your QT? Are you also QT corals and CUC?
I use (2) 20 gallon QT's. I've been trying to find a biocube 32 for a coral qt but haven't had any luck as of yet I dip with coral rx and bayers then cut off the plugs and use new plugs. Also I do not QT my CUC.

Spearo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!

I just moved back to the North Naples area from Maitland/Winter Park. Where did all the LFS go!? Is Fish Central still open? I was spoiled up there going to TSA and WWC. Also, I may be able to help out with those lions in the future, avid diver and fisherman.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 9.56.14 AM.png

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!

I just moved back to the North Naples area from Maitland/Winter Park. Where did all the LFS go!? Is Fish Central still open? I was spoiled up there going to TSA and WWC. Also, I may be able to help out with those lions in the future, avid diver and fisherman.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 9.56.14 AM.png

Welcome back to the area. Yes this is an awesome build for sure, especially seeing it in person.

As to the LFS's, we have Barrier Reef left here in Naples. Fish Central is no longer. The next is Salt Water Solutions in Bonita. There are several in Ft. Myers and the Cape after that.

Spearo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the area. Yes this is an awesome build for sure, especially seeing it in person.

As to the LFS's, we have Barrier Reef left here in Naples. Fish Central is no longer. The next is Salt Water Solutions in Bonita. There are several in Ft. Myers and the Cape after that.

I bet! Looks like hundreds of hours of planning and work. It's going to look amazing when all the frags grow in!

Yep I'm aware of all those shops up North but didn't know the situation further South! Seems like there's a void someone needs to fill. I grew up in Estero and was heavily into reefing 2007-2009. My college entrance essay was actually about the first time I stepped into Boardroom Aquatics (amazingly I got in, haha). I was wary about starting tanks moving around so much but I think this position is going to keep us in the area indefinitely. Currently I'm running an heavily modified 29g biocube.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AiKkz - was away for a while. I see you're still using that other guys profile pic!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back