300 Gallon In-Wall + Fish Room / 115 Gallon Frag Tank

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha not in Indiana for sure. True story though fishing in a retention pond in a very upscale neighborhood I caught a 11-12 inch long “Black Belt Cichlid” . It was a stunning fish that someone obviously released. Lucky for it, I caught it the same year and my friend bought a tank specifically to house it for 4 more years until it died!

Good choice! :)

My cousin, Vinnie, (yes, I have a cousin named Vinnie) is easily the most avid fisherman I know. He has a few sponsors and does some traveling to different tournaments. Just last week, he caught this cichlid in Texas. I guess it was a fish he had been wanting to catch for a little while. I do not know what type of cichlid it is but it sure is pretty!

FB_IMG_1564757990401.jpg

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cousin, Vinnie, (yes, I have a cousin named Vinnie) is easily the most avid fisherman I know. He has a few sponsors and does some traveling to different tournaments. Just last week, he caught this cichlid in Texas. I guess it was a fish he had been wanting to catch for a little while. I do not know what type of cichlid it is but it sure is pretty!

FB_IMG_1564757990401.jpg
Almost positive it’s a green terror cichlids. It’s markings have faded but that’s my guess!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from my cousin, Vinnie, that it's this type of cichlid...

Endemic to Texas according to the description. Here I thought this was a cool story similar to mine and it’s akin to catching a bluegill! Thanks for nothin’!

But seriously I didn’t know that any cichlids were native to the US. The black belt looked similar, but our waters freeze here so lucky I caught the guy when I did!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow is a little bigger then a small and that purple is deff a large now that I’ve been checking him out..
True. The abt is an adult too. Mine never got those beautiful adult colors before a power outage got him :( I had him for 8 months or so I think.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. The abt is an adult too. Mine never got those beautiful adult colors before a power outage got him :( I had him for 8 months or so I think.
Yeah I was surprised with how much color he’s got. That pic was less then 5 mins after dropping them in qt.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the free upgraded purple tang LA, but this fish better be chill. He’s 4x bigger then the hippo and at least double the size of the sailfin.

2B99C784-E3B2-49CA-9F4D-8DA7E13A5F73.jpeg
3C0967B3-A40D-4EA7-B365-BD2198949437.jpeg
D538CBDA-DC9B-4328-85EB-58E18A7E8DF4.jpeg
67B9AA0E-F3E4-4B47-9D24-FC735E750C81.jpeg
1C31132D-0236-45B5-84D6-DA47D6BC82EE.jpeg
40BCFF9B-509A-4D0D-AEF7-D47923CA950D.jpeg

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote of this year. Lol
How are those seachem ammonia alert tiles in the QT....
Honestly, I don’t know! My qts were cycling for months before I added fish. So when I clean them out after this round of fish Ill have to cycle again before adding fish again. It’s so much easier that way! If they do work they have never changed colors lol

U

User1

View Badges
But seriously I didn’t know that any cichlids were native to the US. The black belt looked similar, but our waters freeze here so lucky I caught the guy when I did!

Invasive species. Similar to other creatures not native to other areas around the US. Pythons in Florida come to mind, certain mice on the Farallon Islands off San Fran, lion fish, and other fish, all released into the wild causing issues with Mother Nature. Now Mother Nature is a fine young lass but one day she is going to get really ticked off and I do not want to see what she has in store for us...

On a serious note though - yes, people native to the US and not have taken it upon themselves to catch and release fish not native to our local waters and they run amuck.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive species. Similar to other creatures not native to other areas around the US. Pythons in Florida come to mind, certain mice on the Farallon Islands off San Fran, lion fish, and other fish, all released into the wild causing issues with Mother Nature. Now Mother Nature is a fine young lass but one day she is going to get really ****** off and I do not want to see what she has in store for us...

On a serious note though - yes, people native to the US and not have taken it upon themselves to catch and release fish not native to our local waters and they run amuck.
Lionfish aren’t native to the Bahamas?

U

User1

View Badges
Lionfish aren’t native to the Bahamas?

Florida is what I was mostly talking about. I was just replying to the comment about fish not natural to some areas and how the ignorance of man is usually to blame. Some cases is it is natural disasters releasing snakes but that isn't always the case.

Lionfish mostly Indo Pacific although I'm far from expert - just google foo:
This native range of lionfish covers a very large area from western Australia and Malaysia east to French Polynesia and the United Kingdom's Pitcairn Islands, north to southern Japan and southern Korea and south to Lord Howe Island off the east coast of Australia and the Kermadec Islands of New Zealand. In between, the species is found throughout Micronesia. See figure 1.

Back