300 gallon marineland deep dimension leak after professional reseal.

TrimericDust2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people of R2R. I got a used leaking 300-gallon deep dimension from a guy on my local Facebook marketplace. I knew that tank was leaking when I got it, so I paid 425 dollars to have the tank professionally resealed. I filled the tank up a week after getting it resealed, and it did hold water. I carried the tank inside filled it up with saltwater, and it only held water for 5ish days before it started to leak. This morning around 3ish pm (give me a break it was a Saturday) , I opened my bedroom door and noticed an electrical burning smell coming from the tank, and that is how I knew something was wrong. The leak was out of the front viewing panel at the bottom. I caught the leak too late; it filled the whole stand and just started to pour onto the floor when I caught it. Inside the stand, I had all my equipment plugged in, some of which were the controllers of my 3 Ecotech MP40s and T5 lighting fixtures, all of which were completely submerged in water. I unplugged the electricity and started to drain the tank into the yard.
I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I got in contact with the person that I paid to professionally reseal the tank, and he said that it leaked because the tank was not perfectly level. I will post pictures below of a level on top of the black trim of the tank. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me as to why the tank leaked. Also, what do you think? Is the tank so unlevel that it would lead to it leaking because even for the one picture where the level is not perfect, I only have to move the level 1mm for it to be perfectly level? Also, is there any hope for my MP40s? 2826 is from front to back and 2825 is from the length

IMG_2826.jpg IMG_2825.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,do you have a level, to span whole tank ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did he disassemble all panels ,and rebuild,or just resealed ??

Breach85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak is In the silicone between the glass that holds the tank together.. The pro you hired for 425 dollars only resealed your tank inside.. Because to professionally reseal a tank you have to take it all apart and put it all back together again.. That would be a lot more money to do that.. That said you still might wanna reach out to the pro and see if you would be able to work something out.

OP
OP
T

TrimericDust2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. The tank is not rimless. I do not have a level to span the whole tank. All he did was reseal the inside, he did not disassemble all the panels. He said that he would come back and reseal it again for half off. Should I ask if he can take the whole tank apart? It would definitely cost more money.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can be of no service in the actual Tank leaking department. However, you should read your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. It may cover the damage of all of the electronics, any floor or ceiling damage as a result, and other things. There is even a SLIM chance that the tank could be covered, and you could get yourself a brand new tank. It's all going to be down to how your policy is written up.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
on a 300 gallon tank, band aid reseal is not acceptable from a professional.
He should have done it right the first time.
sorry but ,i would say no to just a quick fix, it will not last.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very viable option, if he won't work with you and do it right,for what you already paid for ,no more.
he should at least offer half $$ back !!!
Yes ,move on...:(

OP
OP
T

TrimericDust2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I was so excited to finally have a large tank. I am not a noob and have been in this hobby for close to 7 years. I currently have a 40 gallon filled with Acros and high end torches. I even have a mastertronic. I will message the guy back about your opinions, does anyone think that I should expose his business or leave a bad review on his website? I guess I will just post the 300 for sale and try and use that money on what holiday deals I can find on a new smaller tank. Thanks guys.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
give him a chance to make things right.
then give your honest review.
good luck and happy reefing... :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back