300 Gallon Predator Tank Build and Stocking

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I had a 7' 210 Gallon that blew a seam and let about 50-60 gallons of water out in my living room a week ago. Thankfully I had a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank in my back yard and was able to save the live stock and keep the rock wet until I could get everything put into my old 125. As of now it appear that all the livestock is ok.

Now to the better part of this story, I am supposed to be able to pick up an 96"x30"x24" 300 gallon tank to replace the 210 on Friday, so now with the extra space I am wondering what I should stock it with. Currently having the following fish:

1-Pinktail Trigger
1-Redtooth Trigger
2- Snowflake Eels (Funny part is we though the 1st one was dead somewhere and he only reappeared after the 2nd one was put in the tank, so having 2 was kinda an accident)
1-Scorpion fish (AKA Rock Fish)
1-One Spot Foxface
1-Tomini Tang (Can be removed to another tank)
1-Blue Spot Puffer

Looking for ideas as what to add to the new 8' setup once everything is up and running. This is mostly a non coral tank. I might throw is frags of leather/Softies from my other tank just because but it won't be a reef tank for sure.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely love the harlequin tusk, never kept one but I have been told that some get overly aggressive when they get big. Maybe someone with some experience with them will chime in.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 5 years. No aggression towards fish. Aggressive grabbing food. He's in there with a Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, 4 puffers, Yellow Tang, Foxface and a Long Nose Hawkfish in a 200g.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Harlequin I had for about 4 years before I had to move and sold everything. Same behavior luckily. I guess it depends on the individual. I've had a cranky Clown Trigger and one that was chill.

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas as what to add to the new 8' setup once everything is up and running. This is mostly a non coral tank. I might throw is frags of leather/Softies from my other tank just because but it won't be a reef tank for sure.
I think that you can add a panther grouper, some puffers and probably a shark (banded cat shark)

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you can add a panther grouper, some puffers and probably a shark (banded cat shark)
I would love a shark, but IMO a 300 isn't big enough for one. It would work for a little while but in the end I would need to find it a bigger tank and I don't think anyone in my area has one. Also sharks tend to do better in raceway style tanks with rounded corners.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbs up on the harlequin tusk
i would also highly recommend a zebra moray.,,
niger trigger
whatever grouper you like (warning they get big quick and eat alot )
i have a 300 predator with several mini lions with 5 triggers and 2 zebras eels , a dragon eel and 3 groupers. everybody plays nice, if i could do over i would have skipped the clown trigger once they get about 5 inches they get more aggressive IMO.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbs up on the harlequin tusk
i would also highly recommend a zebra moray.,,
niger trigger
whatever grouper you like (warning they get big quick and eat alot )
i have a 300 predator with several mini lions with 5 triggers and 2 zebras eels , a dragon eel and 3 groupers. everybody plays nice, if i could do over i would have skipped the clown trigger once they get about 5 inches they get more aggressive IMO.
I would like a zebra eel, but I already have two eels. It was by accident that I have two. I got one snowflake and within an hour of being a the tank he took a ride to the sump in the other room. I got him out and out him back in the display and covered the overflow with mesh. For about two weeks, five of us searched the rock for him and couldn't find him. He would not come out to eat, just seemed to have disappeared so I figured that he got injured and died. Ended up ordering an eel and the day after it was in the tank I went to feed. I feed the eel on the right end of the tank and my son said that eel is fast! He is at the other end of the tank looking for more food. I was like he must be fast and looked at the right end of the tank and seen the eel was still there and that is when we discovered there was two. IMO three eels would be too much for a 300 gallon.

I am interested in getting some type of grouper, but I would want a species that stays on the smaller side (At least for groupers). I haven't choose a species yet so suggestions would be great. It seems a lot of places doesn't carry many groupers still availability and cost are a factor.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epinephelus fasciatus is a smaller size grouper. It is a pretty fish too, red, white and pink. Saltwaterfish.com has one for sale in WYSIWYG.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back