300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank greenhouse

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently building a green house to make a mini jungle. It is 30’ by 25’ by 15’. It will be made pretty substantially as it is being built into a hill. I really want to make it feel like a tropical island on the inside. I’m going to plant palms ferns kiwi and a few tropical fruits. I am thinking about adding a 300 gallon tank, to be set into the floor. Around the back I’m going to put a 200 gallon ATO and a 250 gallon awc. It will be urigstes and have electricity. For pumps I have a few power heads and a vectra S1. I will also have a 20g quarantine as I know pest in such a Lage system is a huge pain. I don’t really care about having it be packed stoking wise just some rock sand a few corals and 4-5 yellow tangs. I will then grow some sea lettuce in a 50 gallon Refugium for feeding. My hope is to make it very easy simple and low maintenance. Here is what I’ve done so far.
2CA9CDF3-4ED9-41D9-89CB-02D426B2D82C.jpeg
F5BD0B56-5BA8-4441-B641-BE719DBFCCAA.jpeg

What do you think about that plan?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you've worked out your cooling- it's manageable, but I wouldn't necessarily call temperature control in a green house "low maintenance" unless you're willing to install some coolers and spend some money. Cheapest option is usually industrial fans/evaporative coolers, but you'll have to play around with timers as the season progresses and temperatures change.

Any reason you're using a Vectra S1? Is that because it's laying around? In builds like these, I usually suggest no frills pumps where humidity or exposure won't impact any sensitive electronics- plus you don't have to ensure the pump is silent.

Just make sure you place your plants far enough from the tanks that any debris/leaves don't pollute your tanks.

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the s1 because it’s an extra, however I will also get some other pumps; not sure wich ones yet. Cooling is an issue. I’m going to make a controller for the building with a temperier probe to turn on the cooler when needed. I was thinking a fan in the structure and a swamp cooler on the exterior. I also want it to be naturally lit and have a par meter on the ground. When the par goes to high I’ll have a mesh on a rail to cover it so as to regulate light levels. Thanks for mentioning the proximity of plants to it as I could see that being a big problem. I’ll put a patch of sand between the plants and the tank. I also plan to add some mangroves to the tank anyways.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the par meter idea, but you might be surprised just how well corals do in direct sun in greenhouses. I've visited a few and the shading wasn't for par- it was for heat! The only downside to corals grown in greenhouses is "browning out" of many corals. They'll grow like wildfire, but you'll loose a lot of the colors you might be accustomed to in normal indoor aquariums.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, where are you located? It might be worth visiting some of the coral growing greenhouses if you are close by to pull their ear on what works/doesn't work for a reef tank in a greenhouse. The first ones that come to mind are pacific east aquaculture, tidal gardens, the reef farm, but there are plenty more. Additionally, you could contact @SDReefer as he had a similar project going for a while.

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not to worried about Coloration I just want something natural and nice. i’ve kept and will keep some pretty nicely colored corals; however the more neutral greens and browns are just fine to me. I dive a fair bit and enjoy the natural corals just as much. I have been following Than for a while however I am quite a ways away as I am in Northern California, but thank you for the suggestions I’ll see if I can talk to any of them. I know some corals do better color wise in natural lights then others so I’ll have to look into which ones those are.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back