300 Gallon Stock Tank Reef

Ravens243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, I know I'm not the first to think about this. I was searching youtube a few months ago and stumbled across a guy who had a fowlr 300 stock tank. I thought it was the coolest thing i have ever seen. It looked so natural and everything looked so happy. It reminded me of the Baltimore Aquarium and looking down on all the cool fish at the entrance. Unfortunately I can't shake the idea and I'm ready to start a new project. I already have lights, new RO DI system and external pump just sitting here in the room. My fiance has surprisingly gave me the green light and now I just have to make up my mind. I have searched for days trying to find more info but they are mostly used for Koi/Turtle ponds. I have read that people have leaky rubbermaids, especially with hair line cracks. Is that something common? I do plan on updating the stock bulk head and plug. I would probably make it an emergency overflow. So my main question is, can i drill the side to add two overflows? Will that affect the structural integrity? I have never owned a rubbermaid stock tank but after taking multiple trips to the local tractor supply, they seem very solid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, dude... post the link to the video!!!

I use these, will always use these and have never had a problem:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.102-l-strong-box-lockable-tote-in-blackyellow.1000706729.html

They are the least expensive and most durable containers I have ever used.

The hairline cracks are probably due the opaque or clear plastic tubs. I have two specifically that are no longer water tight. It is likely they crack when they are moved around. My ATO reservoir is a clear container (by design), and it works just fine. But I never touch it... I have not had an issue with most other containers.

The stock tanks uses very thick plastic and probably have a warranty. Check with your vendor before buying...

Drilling should not cause an issue if you use a proper bulkhead, even then the plastic on such a tank should be thick enough to no bow when filled with water (which is why they are often oddly shaped)...

OP
OP
R

Ravens243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually going to use one of those totes for my skimmer chamber lol. They are sturdy. I'm going to use a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank for my sump and put it in the basement.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually going to use one of those totes for my skimmer chamber lol. They are sturdy. I'm going to use a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank for my sump and put it in the basement.

They would work perfectly for a skimmer chamber. If I ever have to 'fill' them, I usually put a ratcheting strap around the top to eliminate the bowing...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back