300 gallon switch to a 300 gallon rebuild

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got a deal on a 300 gallon tank.
I picked up the sump and get the tank Thursday.
The only thing I don't like about the tank is that they drilled the bottom for their sump set up. My plan is to just install bulkheads in those two spots and block them off, then just cover them with the rock work.
We will be building a new stand and since the bulkheads will stick past the bottom of the glass I will just leave holes where they fit.
They also have a hole in the bottom chamber of the sump but I have extra 1/2 plexiglass that I'm going to cut to fit that entire chamber and silicone in place.
The sump also has a 25 gallon ato reservoir that I won't use so I was thinking of turning that into a refugium. (Any help or advice on this would be appreciated).
Ok as you see the power washer is out so I'm going to start cleaning. They have some kind of paper backing on the bottom I'm going to clean that all off then paint it black.

Happy reefing everyone.
Happy Mothers Day to all of you moms out there too.
20220508_111718.jpg
20220508_111657.jpg
20220508_111703.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cleaned up nicely. The power washer to the paper off no problem. Then a nice vinegar bath. A few scratches but hey it's a sump inside a cabinet right!
Leaving to pick up the 2x4s now.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a lot done today. Now just need to build the sump door on the left, box in the controller and equipment side then add inside paint. The top piece of trim is getting replaced I just added a couple scrap pieces up there to see the look. I have to go to a different home depot to get them in 10' need top and bottom pieces still. I made the doors no hinge so that those big things aren't sticking way out into the room if I'm doing something in there. Hopefully I can get the finishing touches done tomorrow.

HAPPY REEFING EVERYONE!
20220509_190145.jpg
20220509_185819.jpg
20220509_185934.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got the back painted black, tomorrow I will be painting the bottom black. Sorry no pictures today my phone was dead when I finished.
I also think I figured out how I'm going to make my sand lake for my wrasse, goby and pistol shrimp. I'll take a couple pictures of this tomorrow and hopefully some members will chime in and let me know their opinions on if this idea should work or not.

Also got an email from modular marine and hopefully my overflow and other parts will be here by the end of this week. I read a lot on overflows and designs and to be honest, I really liked how pleased most people are with these overflow systems. I got the 3600gph overflow also purchased my bulkheads and ball valves from them.

I have also decided that I'm going to go with 2 eflux 3170gph pumps. Both will have duel manifolds one will run a uv light and gfo reactor, then up to the DT. The other will run a carbon reactor, possible refugium or Chaeto reactor, then up to the other side of the DT.
This could change I might add a total of 3 ports on each manifold so that I have 2 extra if ever needed.

HAPPY REEFING.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm waiting on Modular Marine to ship my overflow and other plumbing parts. Constructing the return line manifolds now. It's all coming together. Hopefully the other parts will be here by this weekend for a test run.

Question? If my total volume of water is right at 300 gallons and I'm running 2 return pumps that will give me 2k gph and my 2 neptune wavs that are rated at 4k gph but I don't run them at max so let's just say 2.5k gph I do have some other jebao pumps in there as well to just give random movement. But just the main stuff gives me about 9k gph that would equal out to 30 times turnover correct? This has always been the hard part for me to figure out. Help with this part will be greatly appreciated.

HAPPY REEFING.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have a hole in the bottom chamber of the sump but I have extra 1/2 plexiglass that I'm going to cut to fit that entire chamber and silicone in place
Siliconing on plexiglass panels is not a recommended fix.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made my own sumps and used acrylic for the spillways, granted the silicone was adhered to the glass then the then the acrylic was in-between the two beads but it has been holding strong for 6 years. My thought was there will not be any pressure from the bottom side so if I lightly sand, prime, then apply a bead around the hole and the perimeter if the slot this piece will sit in I thought it would work since it will actually only have down pressure and no push or pull. This is my return section of the sump. I did also purchase a bulkhead to fit but that means I have to raise the sump off the base of the cabinet and its already tight in there. I guess I could throw a couple more 2x4s under the sump to give it space.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220518_163446.jpg
painted with rust-oleum appliance epoxy. This is the best I've used so far. Thin smooth mirror like and the magnets slide as if they were on the glass. Still have to finish the plumbing but waiting on parts. After the test run everything will be broken back down and the cabinet will be resanded and finished. It's the only workspace I had.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Still no word from modular marine with the overflow and other fittings. I went and bought some so I could keep moving forward but at a standstill until the overflow gets here.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got word that my overflow and a couple plumbing parts will be shipping by tomorrow. Thinking about going tomorrow to pick up a black ABS sheet to place on the bottom. I'm still sloshing back and forth about going BB I guess I'm just been sand washed with all the tanks I've seen in person. But I think my idea of a sand pond will work even in high flow. Ordered my coralline epoxy putty for my rock ideas.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update.
So I got delayed twice now from ups they say my overflow, gate valves and bulkheads will be here on Wednesday.
I have also decided to just go with sand again.
I bought 150lbs of 2 to 3 mm natural bottom live sand. I read a lot of good reviews and watched a few videos on it. Im hopeful this will work as I have my wrasse, goby, and pistol shrimps and don't want to confine them to one area of the tank.
I finished all the other plumbing besides the gate valves and through the tank where I need the bulkheads, and painting the pipes.
I have attached a few photos and need some advise or clarification on what I'm trying to do with the refugium. I don't need this for an ato reservoir so I want to cut the top to hold the neptune grow light and feed it with a line off the manifold that will go to the bottom as it fills it will flow into a 1" drain back down to the chamber before my returns or maybe into the return just don't want bubbles going to the return, and my skimmer is going into the chamber before the returns. So that part I'm unsure about yet. The other section right after the filter socks, I want to use as a frag tank or grow out area. Maybe a holding cell for misbehaving little fishies too haha.
20220530_191731.jpg
20220530_191942.jpg
20220530_191640.jpg
20220530_191635.jpg
20220530_191632.jpg
20220530_191629.jpg

Happy reefing.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipped the tank today to be ready for drilling in the overflow and just really didn't like the looks of the bulkheads they had in the bottom of the tank.
Now it was full of water when I went to purchase it and there were no leaks, maybe because of the whole tube of silicone that they used to glue the outsides of the bulkheads. Anyhow I decided to take them off and this is what I found.
Only the silicone was holding them together. I scraped it away from the glass and pop they fell in half.
Hmmm glad I checked this out. I think we would have been swimming in our dining room sooner or later.
20220531_175158.jpg
20220531_175335.jpg
20220531_180935.jpg
20220531_180921.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my oh my...
So fixed the lower bulkheads, got the overflow and started drilling. Checked over and over to make sure it wasn't tempered, phone check, laptop check both with good polarized glasses and it showed to not be tempered screens always went black. But boom here it is. Sad sad day.
20220601_191204.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that…. Truthfully, if I had seen those bottom bulkheads, I’d have never used that tank… but that’s why I’m an acrylic only guy!

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't to worried about the bottom ones. I've seen tanks don't that way with no problem. That actually just gave me a little ease about drilling the back since the bottom was drilled. But so be it. Debating our next step. I've got a lot invested in the stand and plumbing so we'll see.

Back