30g Planted Seahorse Tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very nice The Purple! I miss my seahorses but not the associated work that they required.

Having fry is fun and the male changing color is definitely a sign that he is interested. I raised erectus fry once and did ok, raised 16 out of 22 but it's a boatload of work. After that I gave my fry away, LOL.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very nice The Purple! I miss my seahorses but not the associated work that they required.

Having fry is fun and the male changing color is definitely a sign that he is interested. I raised erectus fry once and did ok, raised 16 out of 22 but it's a boatload of work. After that I gave my fry away, LOL.
Hey vlangel! I don't think he's pregnant yet, but any day now... I'd love to try and raise the fry someday. Any tips?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vlangel! I don't think he's pregnant yet, but any day now... I'd love to try and raise the fry someday. Any tips?
I made a kreisel nursery that was in my display. I used a plastic goldfish bowl and drill a hole in the shoulder for an air pump to create a circular flow. I still have it and could probably send pics.

Also I cleaned and enriched the baby brine shrimp every day and fed the fry 5Xs a day for over a month. That part was rigorous.

Then as they grew they needed bigger food so I had to buy live adult brine shrimp. After that at about 6 weeks they need to be trained onto shaved mysis. I found Hikari nice and small when they were ready to transition onto whole mysis.

Finally the show stopped for me was that no LFS wanted to give me more than $5 a piece for my 4 month old fry that they were going to get $60-$75 for. I did not like the idea of them going to homes where their needs would not properly be met either. I found a LFS 2 hours away that gave me $15 each but a seahorse expert worked there and I knew they would get good homes. Also they came to my house to get them. They also are the ones who got my fry from then on.

It's not for the faint of heart but I am glad that I did it once.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a kreisel nursery that was in my display. I used a plastic goldfish bowl and drill a hole in the shoulder for an air pump to create a circular flow. I still have it and could probably send pics.

Also I cleaned and enriched the baby brine shrimp every day and fed the fry 5Xs a day for over a month. That part was rigorous.

Then as they grew they needed bigger food so I had to buy live adult brine shrimp. After that at about 6 weeks they need to be trained onto shaved mysis. I found Hikari nice and small when they were ready to transition onto whole mysis.

Finally the show stopped for me was that no LFS wanted to give me more than $5 a piece for my 4 month old fry that they were going to get $60-$75 for. I did not like the idea of them going to homes where their needs would not properly be met either. I found a LFS 2 hours away that gave me $15 each but a seahorse expert worked there and I knew they would get good homes. Also they came to my house to get them. They also are the ones who got my fry from then on.

It's not for the faint of heart but I am glad that I did it once.
It definitely sounds daunting and a lot of work. I know what you're talking about with the goldfish bowl. I read a CORAL magazine article where someone made a kreisel with a yogurt container.

Thanks for the information!

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool thread. I know it’s old but I wanted to add that Johnson’s Seagrams is a federally protected species and illegal to buy/sell/possess. I don’t want the unsuspecting user to start trying to track down the species.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/johnsons-seagrass

-Andrew
I heard that...I bought the stuff a year ago online unknowingly, I wonder if the vendor knows it's illegal. I'll shoot them an email.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back