30gallon frag tank

Discussion in 'Reef LED Lights' started by Brandonsegula, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Several years ago we experimented with SPS frags and different LED Spectrums...

We found that Birdsnest SPS grew quite well only 450nm Royal Blue... We liked this idea as back then the Cree XR-E Royal Blue was very efficient and relatively inexpensive... Today the Cree LEDs are even more efficient and less expensive.

The Kessil is a good light and that spectrum will grow coral. For me I like more of the 410-430nm along with the 450nm. Compared to our Sirius XTC the Kessil is weak in the 410-430nm. Also to show off your frags a little full spectrum tweaked for looks goes a long way.

Here is a Photosynthesis Chart that will show the importance of the 410-430nm.

PhotoWavelength_zps29db24cb-300x183.jpg
    PhotoPigments-300x186.jpg
    Note: Below 10 meters coral receive very little light greater than 600nm
    PhotoPenetration.jpg
    The Nice thing about our Sirius XTC LED Board is it has 9 Channels that can be individually controlled. This way you can tweak the spectrum to optimize looks and offer a more natural light.

XTC Full Spectrum .jpg
    Sirius XTC all LEDS ON
    XTC Factory W Full Colour.png
    Sirius XTC adjusted to simulate an ocean depth of 20 Meters

Battle Corals grows their Frags under intense 400 watt MH Lighting with PAR Values over 1000. Photoinhibition occurs around 500 PAR. Above this the corals produce reflective pigments, some of which are very desirable. The Kessil with offer over 500 PAR in a shallow tank. Our Sirius XTC was designed to replace a 400 watt MH with PAR Values a little bit more than a 400 watt MH Radium...

Hope this info helps. If you want more Info on our Sirius XTC or the XTC DIY Kit, please feel free to check out our site or contact us.

XTC Small.jpg

Bill

Brandonsegula likes this.
  3. Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula Well-Known Member

How much is one of these lights? If it’s around 500 I’d rather just buy an ati fixture with t5s. I’m looking for the most bang for my buck while staying cheap.

4. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

The Complete Sirius XTC is on sale for $545 the DIY Kit is $254-$298 depending on optics.

T5s are about $20 each and you will need six thats $120 every bulb replacement not to mention the increased electricity... After 9 months the intensity of T5s drop quicker than Harvey Weinstein's pants at a hollywood screening... The cost of replacement alone will pay for a quality LED fixture...

I've been reefkeeping since the early 90s and have learned that's less expensive to purchase quality thats lasts longer than to continue to replace cheap stuff. Some of our original DIY Kits are still going strong after 5 years.

Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted