OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you will have the answer if you ask yourself “is this a tank I really want, am I excited to have this tank.” If the answer is no then it doesn’t matter how good the offer.
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m thinking right now. I think this thread is also helping me to talk myself out of it even though my ADHD brain says, “oooh, shiny!” :)

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would stick with proclear as it is what you guys want in the first place. 200 g is $3000 at saltwater aquarium

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-140656.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-140656.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not thrilled with the pump and skimmer they want to throw in either… they sent me the info on what they’d be willing to give me. A Jebao pump and an Aqua Excel skimmer. I’m all for using the value brands when they do the same job as the more expensive options, but I think that if I’m going to invest this much in a large tank, I’d rather just get the quality products I trust. Nothing wrong with those brands if you use them, I’m just not going to go with cheaper options when I’m also going to hook this tank up to my Apex.
When I asked about the serial number and manufacture date, they said they would have to get back to me after they talk to the “guy they got the tank from.” So overall, it sounds like they didn’t give me the whole story the first time around. I definitely wouldn’t go above $3500 at this point and we would pick it up, instead of paying for any delivery. We own an HVAC company so we have large vans & the guys to help move the tank, IF we end up getting it.

Offer them $2500 for the tank as is (let them talk you up to 3k), then tell them you will buy the high end gear you actually want. Not much point in them adding in stuff you will end up replacing in a few months anyway. As you said, you know what you want and I doubt you will be happy with less even if it is free.

Edit: even if you end up at $5k out the door, as long as you have a quality tank, and the gear you actually WANT, I think you will be happy with your choice.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is proclear a good brand?
I believe there are very well built in my opinion. Glass is super clear and comes with an auto top off section in the sump as well. I have seen it in person and in my opinion it's way better build quality than redsea and waterbox combined!!

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proclear 150 and that Cade 310 gallon aren’t even in the same category. Cades are top tier aquariums. I have 2 of the newer models and can’t buy a 160 gallon for that price. I don’t know how good the older models are but 310 gallon is a monster. I would assume that size for a newer model is going to be around 9k. It comes down to do you want the smaller aquarium or the monster. I would pass on that skimmer and pump for sure and see what they would do on the tank only.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Proclear 150 and that Cade 310 gallon aren’t even in the same category. Cades are top tier aquariums. I have 2 of the newer models and can’t buy a 160 gallon for that price. I don’t know how good the older models are but 310 gallon is a monster. I would assume that size for a newer model is going to be around 9k. It comes down to do you want the smaller aquarium or the monster. I would pass on that skimmer and pump for sure and see what they would do on the tank only.
Is proclear a good brand?
I cannot personally speak to the difference between a ProClear and any other higher end tank, since I’ve only owned the ProClear as a large tank. I have smaller tanks that are all so modded out at this point that nothing in them is what originally came with them, except the glass.
I have a ProClear 150 and my nephew has the ProClear 230. Both were pretty easy to assemble and neither of us have had any issues. The only thing I do not like about my tank is the sump. I had originally planned a different build before deciding on this tank after another deal I literally could not refuse. I bought a beautiful Trigger Systems sump for the originally planned build and ever since seeing that sump in person, I’ve wished I had it on this tank.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot personally speak to the difference between a ProClear and any other higher end tank, since I’ve only owned the ProClear as a large tank. I have smaller tanks that are all so modded out at this point that nothing in them is what originally came with them, except the glass.
I have a ProClear 150 and my nephew has the ProClear 230. Both were pretty easy to assemble and neither of us have had any issues. The only thing I do not like about my tank is the sump. I had originally planned a different build before deciding on this tank after another deal I literally could not refuse. I bought a beautiful Trigger Systems sump for the originally planned build and ever since seeing that sump in person, I’ve wished I had it on this tank.
Sounds like the biggest question is how big of an aquarium do you want. The newest cades sumps are great and I have zero issues with them. I honestly can’t speak to this model. Most of that model I believe is overseas in Australia. Might hunt a forum over there to find out more. Algae barn carries the newer models.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing for the return already goes back up through the overflow so yeah, it would seem to make sense that I can cut the PVC off right there and reattach the nozzles right there, right? I think I would definitely try to find a way to turn the sump around too.
the sump is all glass and it does have baffles… there are 3 large compartments and then a smaller compartment for overflow/filter socks.
Yes thats exactly what I would do with the return.

Also I would just get the system and no other add ons as others have said.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends! I need some advice on a very first world “problem”. :rolleyes:
I was visiting an LFS that is somewhat near me but I don’t get out to it very often. Hubby and I have been kicking around the idea of getting another large tank & we had been thinking about getting another ProClear 150 to go right next to the one we already have. I want to consolidate and get rid of some of the nano to medium sized tanks I have set up now. But THEN, I saw this beautiful Cade 310 gallon system with ~125g sump at that LFS. They had $5700 written on the glass but then when I asked about it, they said they’ve had it in their store about 4 1/2 months and want to get it off their floor. They said they would throw in a skimmer and return pump for a grand total of $5k. Space isn’t really an issue so I’m not worried about this tank being a lot bigger than the ProClear. We’ll make it work!
The LFS says this is a totally new tank but they did not know the model number & the owner wasn’t in the store at the time. I can’t find this tank online… does anyone recognize it? I’d like to at least see a review or two if I could find the model number.
I’m torn because getting a new ProClear 150 would already be ~$3k after tax and that wouldn’t include the skimmer or pump. Neither tank includes lighting, obviously. The Cade is almost twice as long though so I’d need twice the number of lights. (At least 2 Hydra 32s vs 4+ Hydra 32s or 64s)
Give me your advice! What would you do if you were us?

948E0537-D1D0-4B0B-9A74-93EFF897719B.jpeg 522CCC09-42ED-4E97-840F-16E2C77FF52E.jpeg
I hope that all of that branding is easily removed unless Cade is going to sponsor the tank. Other than the huge logos, the tank looks pretty sharp.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends! I need some advice on a very first world “problem”. :rolleyes:
I was visiting an LFS that is somewhat near me but I don’t get out to it very often. Hubby and I have been kicking around the idea of getting another large tank & we had been thinking about getting another ProClear 150 to go right next to the one we already have. I want to consolidate and get rid of some of the nano to medium sized tanks I have set up now. But THEN, I saw this beautiful Cade 310 gallon system with ~125g sump at that LFS. They had $5700 written on the glass but then when I asked about it, they said they’ve had it in their store about 4 1/2 months and want to get it off their floor. They said they would throw in a skimmer and return pump for a grand total of $5k. Space isn’t really an issue so I’m not worried about this tank being a lot bigger than the ProClear. We’ll make it work!
The LFS says this is a totally new tank but they did not know the model number & the owner wasn’t in the store at the time. I can’t find this tank online… does anyone recognize it? I’d like to at least see a review or two if I could find the model number.
I’m torn because getting a new ProClear 150 would already be ~$3k after tax and that wouldn’t include the skimmer or pump. Neither tank includes lighting, obviously. The Cade is almost twice as long though so I’d need twice the number of lights. (At least 2 Hydra 32s vs 4+ Hydra 32s or 64s)
Give me your advice! What would you do if you were us?

948E0537-D1D0-4B0B-9A74-93EFF897719B.jpeg 522CCC09-42ED-4E97-840F-16E2C77FF52E.jpeg
I'm a proud Cade S2 1200 owner. I would highly recommend you go with the new Cade S2's. This one is clearly a very old system and for $5k you can do much better imo. Good luck & keep us posted.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After everything, we decided to go with another ProClear. It was just delivered Friday. I plan to cover both cabinets in a wrap of some sort so that they match.

Attachments

• 4647B5E2-6F1D-4D2D-90E9-BD6B471C98B1.jpeg
    4647B5E2-6F1D-4D2D-90E9-BD6B471C98B1.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 36

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back