32 Gal Brute can for quarantine? Like em, don't like em?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to re- quarantine (with copper) a handful of fish because of a stupid mistake. 4 wrasses, damsel, tomini, clown pair. I was thinking of getting one of the Nuvo 50 AIO and then convert to a nice display at my office but those won't be out until sometime in May. Then I thought of just doing it cheaply with 1 or 2 of the brute cans. I have a 60 lb piece of tonga that has been stewing in a brute for 5 months that I could throw in. Anyone use these can for this purpose? Are they too tall with too small of a surface area? I really don't want to put the lower tubs in my office because of foot traffic and getting stuff into them. I guess I could buy a cheap marineland 50 or 75 but then what to do with it after? Thoughts?

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you use just be sure to only use it for QT of fish if you use copper. I prefer a tank for QT so you can see the fish and any signs of disease, but you could use a brute trash can for sure. I actually have one as an active sump.

OP
OP
Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. That is one thing I don't like about the brute is fish sitting at the bottom in the pvc fittings and not being able to see them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to re- quarantine (with copper) a handful of fish because of a stupid mistake. 4 wrasses, damsel, tomini, clown pair. I was thinking of getting one of the Nuvo 50 AIO and then convert to a nice display at my office but those won't be out until sometime in May. Then I thought of just doing it cheaply with 1 or 2 of the brute cans. I have a 60 lb piece of tonga that has been stewing in a brute for 5 months that I could throw in. Anyone use these can for this purpose? Are they too tall with too small of a surface area? I really don't want to put the lower tubs in my office because of foot traffic and getting stuff into them. I guess I could buy a cheap marineland 50 or 75 but then what to do with it after? Thoughts?

Can’t really see fish in a brute can but I use like 45g totes which work great and lightweight.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt and i wouldnt put them all together for qt. i'd do the 4 wrasses together, get rid of the damsel and try to do the tang with the clowns.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get another tank, then just keep it for qt or u can start a frag tank..
The copper thing is a myth I have done this two months after copper use and no products to absorb the copper
That being said it was Cupramine.. i have now used copper safe in a 40 and did a few wc... I have always used sand and small rock as well I’m these qt tanks.. never a problem and acros, lps you name it is in there.
I’ll update and make a post once I try it w the tanks I used copper safe in (the chelted copper they say takes longer to remove from the tanks.

I actually tell a lot of friends when they start to buy every fish the want, copper and deworm.. enjoy the tank for a few months they slowly add more rock and coral.. I would have done this a million times knowing what I know now vs fish introduction, aggression and so on..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back