32 Gallon Fiji Cube Wife's Office Build

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all,
Since Covid hit we are all spending a lot more time working from home. My wife is a marine biologist and avid diver who now spends countless hours in her home office. I have a SPS frag system in the garage that shares the same wall as her office. I figured that I would add some life to her office, and began looking for a small cube tank that had an external overflow.

I decided to go for the 32 gallon Fiji Cube since it was on sale at the time and looked like it would be perfect. I had a bunch of extra Marco rock, super glue and mortar, so I began working on an aquascape. My goal was an open scape that had two structures and a lot of branches. I wanted to make a tunnel of sorts between the structures, that was visible to my wife when looking at the tank from her desk.

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step was to plumb the tank through the wall and attach it to the frag system. The garage is lower than the office, but that wasn't much of an issue. The wall did a good job of supporting the pvc.

IMG_5019.jpg
IMG_5021.jpg
IMG_5022.jpg

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it with one 360, but there was not enough light for the goals I had for the tank. I wanted to put some higher end sps on top and then torches and other LPS lower in the tank.

IMG_5040.GIF
IMG_5041.GIF

Last edited:

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up! I like seeing everything from the scaping to how you plumbed through the wall (good on ya)! This is a fun build and great thing for the office to escape the work grind!

Truly loving it and I am looking forward to seeing some updates of this tank and seeing how it develops. What are the livestock plans in mind?

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up! I like seeing everything from the scaping to how you plumbed through the wall (good on ya)! This is a fun build and great thing for the office to escape the work grind!

Truly loving it and I am looking forward to seeing some updates of this tank and seeing how it develops. What are the livestock plans in mind?

Thanks Blaine, thanks for the encouragement! It is a fun build for sure, and my wife is super happy with it. More to come with the live stock etc

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scape was not sitting well with me, I wanted there to be a little more verticality to it. So I pulled out one of the structures and added some height to it.

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded the light to a Radion G5 XR15 Blue. I ended up mounting it on the left side because the center overflow prevented me from mounting in the center back.

I threw in some corals from my frag tank and my 150 gallon in my office. I also picked up some LPS from the last WWC live sale! I think it looks way better after adding to the right structure.

The door to the stand came damaged from Fiji Cube with a really sparse paint job, so I am in the process of repainting it.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 2 days, but I was able to catch the two clowns from my 150, who never really seemed happy in there, and placed them in their new home.

IMG_5214.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged my JF homewrecker, JF solar flair, SC orange passion and TGC cherry bomb which will go on top of the structures once they heal. The SPS frag that is already in there is a Vivid Confetti. I am considering an anemone for the clowns, since my wife would love that. However, I have never had luck with them staying where I wanted them to stay.

The lower portion of the tank will be more torches, some acans and other LPS. Maybe a few rock anemones.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video of the frag tank that I am plumbed into. And a few pics of the tank in my office which I have a different build thread for.

Thanks for checking this out, there will be more to come as things progress...

IMG_5063.GIF
IMG_5069.jpg

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome. I just picked up a fiji cube as well, can't wait to get it running.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repainted the door and cleaned up the wiring under the stand this weekend. Getting some nasty algae on the new live rock, so like I told my wife, “When all else fails add more snails.” I added about 30 snails from my frag tank on the other side of the wall, and they are mowing it down.
33B5195F-B02E-454E-8E96-7D0C1816F0EC.jpeg
7EEDCED8-2F90-4C0D-A98E-0E5A6B3CB90A.jpeg

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it’s a fun little build. I think you will really like the tank. What size did you get?
I got the 81 ext. Wish I didn't have to travel so much for work over the next couple months so I could get it set up.

Back