32 gallon Fluval Flex owners - please share what mods you've done to upgrade the tank! (Pics would be great too!)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to swap out the stock pump? It’s well rated for medium to low flow through the filtration, which is a good thing. The return pump isn’t meant for flow as much as it is meant for turn over through the filter. And high velocity isn’t as desired in filtration. Don’t just upgrade things based on r2r suggestions, think it through first.

I had filtration issues with both the stock and the sicce 1.5. While I totally agree that according to the size of the tank the stock pump is sized correctly, the AIO chamber design is terrible and doesn't allow for optimal flow through the filtration. The idea behind a circulation pump is to push filtered water out and bring unfiltered water in and do so efficiently. When I had the 1.5 on there, it simply didn't pull enough through despite my wavemakers keeping food suspended for 10-20 minutes... After 3-4 days, my filter floss was still pretty much white in color. So I watched the tank for a long period of time after feeding, and most of the food was settling in/on the rockwork and sand despite going next to the weirs multiple times, leaving it to my cleanup crew to take care of. But because of this, I was always suffering from High Nitrates, like 50ppm+. So, I swapped to the 3.0, and now when food gets near the weirs, it gets pulled into them, and then into the filter floss... I can watch the process happen, just as if I had an overflow box.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran carbon. But only after a chemical was used for meds.
I only run things like carbon, gfo etc...if there is an actual real reason. High nitrate, phosphate, chemicals etc.
If my levels are in check I let it ride on regular bio media and water changes when needed. I only have sps and lps, and one small patch of zoas.

I definitely recommend dumping some pods in. They will populate your entire system, every nook and cranny.
Makes sense - use as needed. Will get the pods for sure! I was looking at what AlgaeBarn.com has - can get a jar of pods plus live phytoplankton to feed them, for $60. Seems pricey to me, but I really have no frame of reference for how much those things usually cost. If that's decently priced I don't mind paying it though. Just want to start off on the right foot!

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey we have a awesome flex32.5 facebook group going! everyone can feel free to join

put in facebookdotcom then put /groups/477750452828952

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had filtration issues with both the stock and the sicce 1.5. While I totally agree that according to the size of the tank the stock pump is sized correctly, the AIO chamber design is terrible and doesn't allow for optimal flow through the filtration. The idea behind a circulation pump is to push filtered water out and bring unfiltered water in and do so efficiently. When I had the 1.5 on there, it simply didn't pull enough through despite my wavemakers keeping food suspended for 10-20 minutes... After 3-4 days, my filter floss was still pretty much white in color. So I watched the tank for a long period of time after feeding, and most of the food was settling in/on the rockwork and sand despite going next to the weirs multiple times, leaving it to my cleanup crew to take care of. But because of this, I was always suffering from High Nitrates, like 50ppm+. So, I swapped to the 3.0, and now when food gets near the weirs, it gets pulled into them, and then into the filter floss... I can watch the process happen, just as if I had an overflow box.
Aha, now I get it. This also makes sense.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey we have a awesome flex32.5 facebook group going! everyone can feel free to join

put in fbdotcom then put /groups/477750452828952
Already in that group ;-)

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

put in facebookdotcom then put /groups/477750452828952
Sweet, thank you!!!

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense - use as needed. Will get the pods for sure! I was looking at what AlgaeBarn.com has - can get a jar of pods plus live phytoplankton to feed them, for $60. Seems pricey to me, but I really have no frame of reference for how much those things usually cost. If that's decently priced I don't mind paying it though. Just want to start off on the right foot!
To be honest, all my pods came in on some chaeto and a piece of live rock, that I got from a buddy during my cycle. I have never added any. They just keep reproducing.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest, all my pods came in on some chaeto and a piece of live rock, that I got from a buddy during my cycle. I have never added any. They just keep reproducing.

I bought a couple jars of pods from algae barn (if you decide to do it, sign up for their newsletter and you can get a coupon for your first order), but many people told me the same thing, that whenever you are ready for some chaeto, get it from a local reefer and it'll have tons of pods on it. Regardless, I wouldn't add any until you have either macro or nuisance algae in your tank for them to eat.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple jars of pods from algae barn (if you decide to do it, sign up for their newsletter and you can get a coupon for your first order), but many people told me the same thing, that whenever you are ready for some chaeto, get it from a local reefer and it'll have tons of pods on it. Regardless, I wouldn't add any until you have either macro or nuisance algae in your tank for them to eat.
Good to know! I figured if I ever end up with fish that need pods especially, that I'd get their newsletter and or join their "pod club" for discounts. ;) Going to my LFS to pick up some live rock tomorrow though, so maybe I can snag some chaeto from him too and toss it in the return chamber of my AIO, lol. I'm guessing I'd have to feed phytoplankton though until I got algae growth... probably more trouble than it's really worth at the moment.

Back