Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Torben,

Orphek looks great!!! Great Idea!!!
Abyzz Flow Canons great!!!
Would certainly looking at Abyzz A400 Return Pumps. Their energy efficiency rate and construction is crazy good.
For the Skimmer at that volume would go probably with a Sander Helgoland Skimmer...

Oloid looks interesting... First time I saw it...

Gruss,
Torben
torben this thing is going to be crazy!

and I have to go with what the other Torben wrote, go with Abyzz... with there new controller they'll be fully apex integrated!!

Cheers, Flo
Hello and thanks for advises Flo and Torben!

Abyzz 400 was mine first thought. But than I compare different manufacture by watt per liter and price per pump. This is my result:
This ist the 230 Watt flow version of RD3 230 Watt. I just need to bridging 1.20m if water level is 40cm in sump. So RD3 needs 230 Watt for 16.000 Liter that is 4300 gal.

Screenshot_20200302-193743_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Abyzz haven't got a flow version. They have power and can overriding several meters. The Abyzz need 400 Watt for 16.000 liter / 4300 gallon.
Screenshot_20200302-194709_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

If I have to overbridge more meters Abyzz would be my choice. In this project I would lost 170 Watt per pump and I need four of them. 4 times 170 Watt = 680 Watt per hour = 1500 EUR per year. Much money!

Price:
4 x RD3 230 watt flow
4 x 1220 EUR = 4880 EUR

4 x Abyzz 400
4 x 1890 EUR = 7560 EUR

Differenz between Abyzz and RD3 = 2680 EUR RD3 is cheaper.

Quality of the pumps

I bought 3 RD3 pumps in 2014. Two of them have had problems after a few days with their controllers. RE repair that and since that no problem again. I heard the supplier of this controllers had problems at the start. I olso bought 2 Abyzz 200 in 2014. Never had problems by running this pumps. Two times I had problems made by myself. I forget but I thing I dropped them. I send to Abyzz, only 70km away of my home, and get them back without bill! That was fantastic. I love the Abyzz and normally Abyzz is my favorite but in this special case it is more expensive than RE stuff.

So I think I have good luck with two so good manufacturers in my area. Royal exclusive is about 300km away. By the way Deltec 80km and Aquamedic also 80km. Somebody want to deceive with me? ;)

@Torben
Same thing with the skimmer. Sander Helgoland need three times more energy than the Royal Exclusive Bubble King Deluxe 650. This skimmer is for 25000 liters and I have a big flies filter in front of the skimmer so this size of skimmer would be more than sufficient. May be I would give my current Genisis Evo 3/500 a chance. If it don't work I buy the Evo 3/1000

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great system and can’t wait to see the new system take shape. Your ventral is doing well with so many other anthems?
Sorry for late reply. The Ventralis is doing well. I lost another one a few weeks ago but I don't know why. Buy two very small ones half year ago. Growing fast since then. Don't know why smaller one disappeared. Now the Ventralis does half a day his own thing and half a day schooling with evansi in the free water.

To buy just two was a test for make my own expiries with Ventralis in crowded tank with big fish. Now I know I have just a 50/50 chance. Temperature ist between 24 and 24.8 degrees.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happened with my smaller one in my seahorse tank. In my 350 all 3 are doing well. One female is transitioning to male and I am adding a 4th Saturday. Looking forward to your updates :)

OP
OP
A

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into new Abyzz A1200 model, 12700 GPH. I would think couple of those would be good for your size system.

-Delivery height: 41 feet
-Power consumption: 4-1200W
10 year warranty is nice to have

I will visit Alex (Abyzz) next week ;)
Thinking about 2 of this pumps an run them only at 450 Watt. Less energy and if one pump broken the other one have enough power alone

Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will visit Alex (Abyzz) next week ;)
Thinking about 2 of this pumps an run them only at 450 Watt. Less energy and if one pump broken the other one have enough power alone
You will most likely end up with more head pressure than you expect due to elbows, valves, random flow generators, marine growth in tubing etc...

Meerwasser Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Torben,

wow looking forward to this build! I followed your tank build on another forum and it was amazing!

I am currently using the EpoReef from Norbert in a 900 l tank and I really like it ;). I am curious how it looks like in such a big tank :)

Greetings grom Germany.

Fabian

OP
OP
A

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow comes concrete and the foundations are poured for the ground floor. As it currently looks, the construction for the first floor, where the aquarium is also to be built, will be postponed to the next year. There were a few fire protection issues that needed rescheduling. In Germany there is not only a slight delay at the airport in Berlin, but also with me. The Germans among us understand what I mean :)

Abyzz I didn't visit because of Corona. Now I have time until next year to check my plans of pumps and skimmer again

OP
OP
A

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ground floor is ready for concrete ceiling. Have to wait a few weeks until delivery. We wait for concrete stairway also. I was surprised about the low price of such a concert stairway so I ask the distributor for an offer for the whole concret tank. Normally I plan to do DIY but if the price is in relation to the stairway I will buy,

Normally I would finish the 1st floor next year because of problems with fire protection report and the economic situation of Corona in my business area but now I think about finishing this year because of logistical problems for build process if I do separated the process of different floors of each other.

If I finished this year I will go only with my existing equipment for now. There are 3 metal halid 1000 watts, 6 ATI Sirius X6, 2 ATI Sirius X2, 4 ATI Sunpower 8 x 80 watts and a 300 Watt Plasma lamp.

So there is time to check which lamps will work in the future for this tank.

Also there are a few pumps of Abyzz, Royal Exclusive, Blue Eco and Panta Rhei to run this tank. Also there are few Skimmers in my store.

My fleece filter Genesis Evo 3 /500 SWT will do this job also. 50.000 liters are possible.

So I will report how it will go on

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see a concrete build here at Reef2reef! Can't wait to see it wet, and I hope all goes well with the virus and your plans!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back