32G Biocube switch to AI Prime HD lighting

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been thinking about upgrading my lights to the AI Prime HD's instead of the biocubes base lighting.

I was wondering if this is a good switch? Also I saw this video on how to cut a hole into the lid of the biocube remove the lights nad have the ai prime stick through the hole.
Has anyone ever done this?
- here is a video of what im talking about.
I would also like to know whats a good lighting schedule for a 32G tank. I would like to do the hole and put the ai prime through it though.

My tank is many LPS corals. I don't plan on ever having SPS, this is my first tank and I don't want to kill off SPS corals.

Thank you everyone for your input.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
guess this is a bad idea to do? if so what settings should i start off with and to slowly change my lights for my corals so they dont get harmed.

KoTS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess this is a bad idea to do? if so what settings should i start off with and to slowly change my lights for my corals so they dont get harmed.
What are you trying to achieve with the upgrade? If you want to keep the hood, the steves leds get pretty solid reviews on here.

You could take the top off too and get some extra evaporative cooling.

No bad choices, just depends on your goals.. I still have stock but have been exploring the upgrade options as well.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light will be fine for that tank. AI Prime is the best bang for your buck light out there for smaller tanks. You may want a 2nd one eventually, but a single one will be just fine for a while unless your tank is loaded with SPS. The only concern I have is if you're just cutting out the hole and resting the light on there, it's not allowing for an appropriate spectrum blend for the light. I think BRS found that the light should be ~14" from the water to allow for maximum spread.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy in the video also is using a Biocube 14 and it appears you have a Biocube 32. I don’t think the prime will give you enough spread you should consider taking off the lid and adding something like a hydra 26.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back