32G Coralife Biocube Build - 4 Weeks - Looking for Suggestions

paulhinrichsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I posted over in the welcome section but didnt get too much response, so i wanted to make a proper build thread. New to the hobby, I used to have a pond and a freshwater aquarium growing up in NJ...but living in Florida now in a townhouse I decided to get into saltwater fun! Here's a list of the stuff I have going so far.

Brand new Coralife Biocube 32g
Lighting:
  • PAR* 53
  • Peak PAR* 81
  • LUX* 2200
  • Peak LUX* 3430
Hydor Koralia Nano 565gph Circulation Pump
Biocube's Stock Pump 264GPH
Hydor Slim Skim Nano Internal Protein Skimmer, 23-35 gal (Inserted into Chamber 1)
35 pounds of Fiji-Live Rock
35 pounds of Caribsea Live sand
Chamber 2 = Completely Empty

Currently, I am still cycling the tank, I am going to put Copepods (Tisbe/Tiger mix) in on Wednesday to give them a bit of a start to culture in the tank. That being said, I'm currently working on trying to figure out how to maximize the use of chamber 2. I currently have a Hydor Skimmer running in Chamber 1, so I have some leeway with what i can do there. My current thinking was to buy the inTank Fuge and the inTank media basket for the Biocube, and put both in Chamber 2 next to each other. Has anyone done this? What do you recommend? I assume if you did this you grew chaeto in the refugium, what light did you buy? How is it working? Also what do you guys recommend for putting in the media basket if i go this route, besides chemipure elite...what are the best products out there?

Anyone have any recommendations on how i can improve? I was wondering if there are any very easy, blue led lights that fit the biocube 32 to give off the flourescent look. I am definitely planning on growing a heavy amount of coral and rock anemones. The only fish im for sure grabbing is a snowflake clownfish. For cleanup crew, if i have rock anemones...what is my best option? I was hoping to get a starfish in there, wasnt sure if that would cause conflicts. Another question..will the copepods have any issues making it through the thick sponge that filters between chamber 2 and chamber 3 which push them back into the tank?

Money isnt a huge deal, i would definitely prefer doing this right rather trying to cut corners...so if there is anything else people have found that works really well for dosing with corals, or if another small pump would help...let me know!

img_6929-1-jpg.527633

OP
OP
paulhinrichsen

paulhinrichsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also big follow up question, my Hydor Protein Skimmer fits VERY snuggly into Chamber 1, it has been producing lots of bubbles, but without anything big enough to see living in my tank there isnt really much to skim...so it still looks completely clean. The hood on the biocube pushes the skimmer so the top is just above the water line...is the skimmer sitting too low?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at better lights, stock lights won't cut it for most anemones and sps.
The second chamber is on the right track. I Don't use any media on mine(personal preference)
You should remove the sponge between 2-3 it'll accumulate debris fast.
Like others have suggested in your other post , rocks to close to glass will be problematic to clean the glass.
Hope that helps a bit

RIXXIR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 32 as well, a month old with tank raised damsels, crabs and a small mushroom. The lighting is adequate for what's in there now but as it matures, I will rip the hood off and hang an AI Prime. Skimmer also, just haven't decided which one. Any ideas anyone?

clowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for 6 months now
What i did is get a fluval sea skimmer for chamber two and placed a large foam sponge then added filter floss wgere the water comes over the baffle from chamber 1
In chamber 1 i have the tubes going to an external media reactor that i have wrappes in LEDs to serve as a external refugium
e0f42ea8b8d9d2eb1efbf5a8ca9af1c1.jpg

ReeseCami&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get an In-tank media basket. It has been a great addition to mine. I have a 3 year old biocube running stock power compacts with al the led slots filled in. That and you need more rock in the tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back