330 gallon 10+ year dream tank!

Frosted_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, awesome build thread! I know what you mean about garbage construction. We bought a new build in Edmonton and did the basement ourselves. So many corners cut and sloppy work! I am sure they didn’t care because they didn’t have to deal with it later. Glad to see you got the tank in place!

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, awesome build thread! I know what you mean about garbage construction. We bought a new build in Edmonton and did the basement ourselves. So many corners cut and sloppy work! I am sure they didn’t care because they didn’t have to deal with it later. Glad to see you got the tank in place!
Man, every out side wall wasn’t square, the framing wasn’t done proper, had to cut an inch off every sheet of drywall lol

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, every out side wall wasn’t square, the framing wasn’t done proper, had to cut an inch off every sheet of drywall lol

Pretty standard for subdivision homes, build them cheap and fast. Most buyers can't realize a wall isn't square, when a wall bows, or the differences between construction materials so the builders don't care. Even when you spend $750,000-$1,000,000 on a home people need to realize it was done as cheaply as possible to maximize profit. It probably wasn't sealed properly, the mechanical is poorly designed, poor electrical design, cheap materials etc etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty standard for subdivision homes, build them cheap and fast. Most buyers can't realize a wall isn't square, when a wall bows, or the differences between construction materials so the builders don't care. Even when you spend $750,000-$1,000,000 on a home people need to realize it was done as cheaply as possible to maximize profit. It probably wasn't sealed properly, the mechanical is poorly designed, poor electrical design, cheap materials etc etc
Yeah, like a furnace and hot water tank dead centre in the basement we found the original drawings for the house, it was suppose to be behind the stairs in the corner.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, like a furnace and hot water tank dead centre in the basement we found the original drawings for the house, it was suppose to be behind the stairs in the corner.

Proper placement for your furnace for best performance, lower running costs and to extend it's life is dead center of your home. Water heater doesn't matter as much but still should be roughly centered in the house as well. :)

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper placement for your furnace for best performance, lower running costs and to extend it's life is dead center of your home. Water heater doesn't matter as much but still should be roughly centered in the house as well. :)
It just feels odd, dead centre is behind the stairs technically. Like, 4 feet over from where it is. You can see the area it was suppose to be in lol

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the last of my equipment showed up , 4x orphek OR blue plus bars, and a reef octopus 250int skimmer. This thing is a beast to say the least compared to my vertex.

0544284D-2EDE-4E7B-BA68-D90684CCF6BA.jpeg

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 more days and it’s on! Fly home Monday night, then I’ll be working my rear off on the basement. Hope to have it done besides flooring (I’m still undecided) and trim. Then I’ll get the tank set up. I may not get water in it before the end of 2020, but I’ll have water in it for the end of January!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironic you say that! I actually picked up 4 GHL mitra 6100HV with the upgrade kits for $500! Pairing them with orphek OR blue plus bars.
Sweet! I'm still designing my new system right now. Ours will sit right between our family room and kitchen. Roughly 275 gallon with close to 100 gallon sump. I have decided to run everything GHL. I have a ton of design work to do for everything to fit and function.
Everything will sit inside a floor to ceiling wall unit. 66 x 32 x 30 will be the dimensions of the display. The sump will be 60 x 24 x 16. I have close to 100" floor to ceiling.

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dry wall is fully finished (ceiling is done) just need to spend a day mudding it all !
Took a day of after Christmas sales as well and went and bought all the IO salt they would let me. I got some strange looks at the cashier with 8 buckets. I had to explain I have a massive tank. ;Hilarious

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @JoshH fir the sand! It’s always great to have a good community around!

Any time! It was great having you stop by And hey if the kiddos are really ever too much we could just feed one of them to my dogs the next time you stop by ;);Hilarious;Hilarious

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back