33gal stocking option questions

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have an AIO with 33gal in the display portion.
I currently have:

x2 mocha storm clown
x5 nassarius snails

that said, I do want probably 1-2 more fish (maybe ruby red dragonet?!), but my next question was how many inverts can I add to this tank?
I was interested in various shrimps, porcelain crabs, hermits, crocea clam, conch, urchin, and other snails.

I know the rule for fish is typically 1inch p gal, but what's the rule for inverts? :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a lot of inverts as long as there is enough food.

If you want a dragonet for that size tank get one that eats frozen food or culture your own copepods.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those POD eaters do real well in systems with rockwork which is at least, 8 months old, and in a 33, only one POD eater.

Crabs I never use. They just cause trouble. I trust none.
Perfect water and a diverse team of snails will keep the system clean.

Royal Gramma, an Lyretail Anthais, a Bangaii, all work well with the clowns.

Clams, yup, water must be stable though.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a lot of inverts as long as there is enough food.

If you want a dragonet for that size tank get one that eats frozen food or culture your own copepods.
I definitely plan to look for aquacultured + start building a pod population in my tank. If I did get a dragonet, it wouldn't be for another 4-5 months down the line due to how new my tank is.

Those POD eaters do real well in systems with rockwork which is at least, 8 months old, and in a 33, only one POD eater.

Crabs I never use. They just cause trouble. I trust none.
Perfect water and a diverse team of snails will keep the system clean.

Royal Gramma, an Lyretail Anthais, a Bangaii, all work well with the clowns.

Clams, yup, water must be stable though.
Thanks! I guess I'll wait much longer for the dragonet beyond my original 4-5 month timeline. And I only planned to add the dragonet as a pod eater, unless clowns also feast on pods from time to time?
I've been reading around and people said porcelain crabs + pom crabs are guaranteed reef safe!
I'll definitely look up the other fish you listed just now.

And yes! I'm aware of that for the clam and plan to wait until the 6month mark.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 1 inch per gallon thing was made up by fish stores and should really be ignored.
You can add lots of snails, nassarius, ceriths, turbos, Trochus etc. I don't care for hermit crabs and emerald crabs...bad attitudes. Porcelain and pom poms are great though. Could definitely get a cleaner shrimp, a blood red and maybe a couple or three sexy shrimp.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 1 inch per gallon thing was made up by fish stores and should really be ignored.
You can add lots of snails, nassarius, ceriths, turbos, Trochus etc. I don't care for hermit crabs and emerald crabs...bad attitudes. Porcelain and pom poms are great though. Could definitely get a cleaner shrimp, a blood red and maybe a couple or three sexy shrimp.
Ok thank you! I looked up the blood red shrimp and it says it bothers corals, so I may hold off on that one lol.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't. The only thing wrong with the blood red is he's too modest and doesn't come out often enough to show off ;)
I’ll have to get one down the line then. :) thank you!

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 32gal biocube on May 2nd I am manually adding in 6oz pod bottles every 2 weeks my first fish was a scooter blenny (red dragonet) he loves it I have about 30 pounds of live rock I started with.

I just one day got offered the stand for free if I got the cube so I just kinda jumped in head first I bought what I wanted NO experience with salt water.

Soon as my water levels passed week 2 I added in Red scooter blenny (dragonet) 6 red legged hermits, 8 snails (2 turbo, cerith, nasarrius' and astera) a coral banded shrimp, emerald crab, and 2 clownfish.

I love the scooter blenny most active fish I have ever owned.
The clowns are ok I feel bad (they were free only reason I took them) because I have no corals or aneoneme for them to bond with but they seem to be doing ok.
Coral Banded Shrimp I very much regret getting I got everything rather small size but I now have an aipista out break starting and he will eat both peppermint shrimp and nudibranch when he grows more. I don't like Chemicals and I think the tank is too small for a aiptasia eating file fish. Most likely going to have to return him. Also never comes out in the days and even in the middle of the night if I wake up turn on flash light I see him on the rock but instantly hides.
Emerald crab very small no issues yet seems to be a hard worker I like him..
Hermits one died I think and the 5 other each killed a snail to upgrade shells (I didn't have empty bigger shells I do now)
Snails didn't really make it so I got more that were smaller than the hermits and the hermits bigger shells they seem to be doing well and left alone now. Asteras and Margaritas seem to work the hardest I swear my Turbo is the laziest snail in the world.

Don't think I will be adding anymore livestock I think there is room for one more thing but after I remove the CBS and add 2 peppermints for the aiptasia I think I'm going to play the sit and wait game until the tank is fully clean for corals. Just a little insight on how I stocked my 32gal and how my first month is going hope you are enjoying this as well!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back