34, 90 and now a 40, what a story.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t grow SPS but I can grow some chaeto.

59B7621A-46AD-48C6-90CC-8F96EA0C6087.jpeg
Wow!! That’s a ton!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably should have done it a couple weeks ago but I hate throwing it out and I can’t get people to take it around here.
Same here :(

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail decided he wanted a big chunk of the nori tonight.

B6E2D78F-A4F4-4239-83FE-A2C2D813F2BC.jpeg
Nice shot! My nessars march up the tank every night when I leave the clip in for them to get scraps.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure if it's lighting or what but me and SPS in this tank aren't getting along. I have excepted the fact and have decided to run with it. My tiny BTA seems to love the top of the rock where he is at so I will be on the hunt for some more BTA's. The spot I had planned on covering in SPS will now be the BTA rock. I am going to Lubbock Texas this week for work for a couple of days. I hope to find a nice one while I'm there.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure if it's lighting or what but me and SPS in this tank aren't getting along. I have excepted the fact and have decided to run with it. My tiny BTA seems to love the top of the rock where he is at so I will be on the hunt for some more BTA's. The spot I had planned on covering in SPS will now be the BTA rock. I am going to Lubbock Texas this week for work for a couple of days. I hope to find a nice one while I'm there.

What lighting are you running?

BTW - ever been to Luckenbach, TX? I have back in 2012. Long story = short story = I was solo supporting a guy running across the US. Took 3 months. My Bella, the dog I just had to put down, went with me. Anyway, we crossed TX, all the way, on Rt. 10. Actually, we crossed most of the country on Rt. 10. While in TX, I made a side trip just because I wanted to see Luckenbach. The only thing there was an old abandoned school house. That's it. Just a bunch of vacant land and that old schoolhouse. I was still happy I made the trip though. Just one of those things, I guess.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running?

BTW - ever been to Luckenbach, TX? I have back in 2012. Long story = short story = I was solo supporting a guy running across the US. Took 3 months. My Bella, the dog I just had to put down, went with me. Anyway, we crossed TX, all the way, on Rt. 10. Actually, we crossed most of the country on Rt. 10. While in TX, I made a side trip just because I wanted to see Luckenbach. The only thing there was an old abandoned school house. That's it. Just a bunch of vacant land and that old schoolhouse. I was still happy I made the trip though. Just one of those things, I guess.
Running a pair of maxspect ethereals. I doubt they are the issue, they are strong, I have a feeling it's other operator errors causing the problem in the tank.

Yeah I've been threw there and no there isn't much. Pretty sure I have a shot glass somewhere from the lone building that is still in operation.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting was my question too.

I only ask because u stated ur BTA has settled at the top where u originally planned sps... and to my knowledge, most BTA species cannot handle the Par required to have thriving SPS.

So I guess I am saying if ur BTA is happy there, you may not have enough PAR to keep the needier sps species.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting was my question too.

I only ask because u stated ur BTA has settled at the top where u originally planned sps... and to my knowledge, most BTA species cannot handle the Par required to have thriving SPS.

So I guess I am saying if ur BTA is happy there, you may not have enough PAR to keep the needier sps species.
I would post a screen shot but I have to be at the house and I don't have it on me. When I did par measurements with my lighting I was getting the lower end of what SPS need at the top of the rock. So you are probably 100% correct, SPS aren't happy with it but it's in the right range for BTA. I was considering going t5 hybrid and adding some light, but the more I think about it I kind of think I'll drop SPS minus the Monties on my back glass. I've been at saltwater for about 2 years and still figuring out what I like and don't like. I really like anemones and think I'll go that route. I wish I would have figured that out before I killed a few hundred dollars worth of SPS but at least I hadn't gotten anything way high end. In the future I will have a bigger tank, and I think at that point I'll will go SPS. However on this 90 I'll stick to anemones, LPS, and softies.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post a screen shot but I have to be at the house and I don't have it on me. When I did par measurements with my lighting I was getting the lower end of what SPS need at the top of the rock. So you are probably 100% correct, SPS aren't happy with it but it's in the right range for BTA. I was considering going t5 hybrid and adding some light, but the more I think about it I kind of think I'll drop SPS minus the Monties on my back glass. I've been at saltwater for about 2 years and still figuring out what I like and don't like. I really like anemones and think I'll go that route. I wish I would have figured that out before I killed a few hundred dollars worth of SPS but at least I hadn't gotten anything way high end. In the future I will have a bigger tank, and I think at that point I'll will go SPS. However on this 90 I'll stick to anemones, LPS, and softies.

I made the same mistake. Hundreds of dollars in sps gone due to impatience and overconfidence.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back