34, 90 and now a 40, what a story.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my lifereef set up! I got some nice fluorescent blue for my setup but eplastics.com has two different translucent purples to choose from as well as solid purple.

downloadfile-8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man he does have some nice stuff. I think I may have figured out a great DIY to use for now that will look good too. I’m going to play around with it in the next couple of days and I’ll post a picture. I will probably upgrade down the road, but for now DIY.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my lifereef set up! I got some nice fluorescent blue for my setup but eplastics.com has two different translucent purples to choose from as well as solid purple.

downloadfile-8.jpg

That looks very nice sir, I can only hope mine looks that good.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has it turns out Krylon does not make a purple in the fusion line. So I did some more research and decided on painters choice from rustolium. From what I can see it will be fine as long as I give it the long cure time. The fact is there will be very small amount under water. Just the accents of the varios.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TONS of acrylic manufacurers are out there when the time comes to upgrade:)

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melev can probably make you anything out of acrylic. He's out of Fort Worth. What do you say Marc? He is Marc Levenson on facebook

Ok I’ll give him a shout. I’m going to use a 5.5 gallon aquarium for an ato for now. Found some paint that can make the glass look like purple stained glass. So it will look nice, but will still wan to go custom built one day.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok started this discussion with a local reefer but wanted to expand the discussion some and get input. I don't feel myself a lazy person but I will pay a little bit to make life easier. With that said I am considering renting my RO system from a local company with them agreeing to change the filters every 3 months. It's a little more expensive but I like them worrying about the filter change and not me. Plus it will be tied into my drinking water so two birds one stone.

So here is the big question, with no DI after three months the water will run between 10 & 15 TDS. Is that too high? Will it cause any detrimental effects on the tank in the long run? They can install a DI but I haven't priced out how much more it will cost. They do not recommend drinking DI water so we are going to discuss putting in a bypass when it's not being used for aquarium water. Is it worth it to add the DI?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, does the company you are considering renting from use carbon blocks that remove chloramine? From experience keeping water above 0 TDS will lead to continuous algae issues in the long run, so I think DI is a must. Maybe @ClintL @cowboy or @Brad Shook who live in your area can chime in with their opinions. I trust their knowledge.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ClintL agreed for sure. I’m sure that’s the direction I’ll go, it’s prerty much the general agreement. We spoke about it earlier, he’s usually my go to for questions. But I was just kind of opening up for discussion you know. He helped me make another decision earlier lol. Was going to post here but no need, he pretty much answered it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the RO system will be installed on friday. It's going to be a 5 stage RO with an additional 2 stages of DI, and two 4 gallon tanks. I am going the more expensive route and renting the system. I just like letting somebody else worry about that part of it. They are going to plumb it so that it will bypass the DI when we are using it for drinking water and then I will open the valve for the DI when I'm making tank water. They are going to start changing filters and DI every 3 months, if we see 0 TDS they may try to go every 4 but we'll see how it works out. Not running a booster pump at the moment but may down the line. I haven't told the wife that she might loose all of her storage under that cabinet lol.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention, these people are pretty awesome and are accommodating for me every chance they get. I ordered an inline TDS monitor and they are going to plumb in for me. I just got a two probe version, figured one where the water come out of the RO and one where the water comes out of the DI.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last piece of equipment I'm just not 100% sure on yet, the refuguium light. I just about refuse to spend the money on a Kessil a360, not sure why I just can bring myself to do it. So I've been looking around and like this one, it's a ufo style. The only problem I have with it is that its not dim-able. I guess I could raise it or lower it but it would be a nice feature. Anybody have one they like that is dim-able but not $300?

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is what will be the ATO resesivoir. It’s temporary but I still wanted it to be purple. Tried some “stained glass” paint. It’s hard to tell in the pic but it did a pretty good job. Later on I plan on upgrading but for now this will do the job.

A28589C2-9539-4567-84C7-85934958FC46.jpeg

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the RO system was installed to day, wife lost all her storage under the kitchen sink. Good thing she didn't keep much under there. They installed the inline TDS monitor for me. He is going to come back in three months and change everything, may try to go every 4 at that point if TDS is still 0. With the inline he said if we decide to go 4 months but I see it sooner to call and he can be there the next day to change it. Gals to have that part taken care, should have gotten a better RO system installed a long time ago.

IMG_1227.jpg

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm making a batch of water now and plan on moving the 34 gallon this weekend. My plan is to get the 90 gallon in its final resting place. If I have time (may not with the superbowl), I was going to cut and place the bulkhead and stand pipes too. I'm going Herbie style, and have one question. How high can I cut the trickle drain and get away with it? This is in the bedroom so quiet is the goal, so how far from the top of the over flow should it sit?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trickle drain should be right below the bottom of the weir opening so there is no splashing sound. I would cut your pipes flush with the bottom of the weir for the trickle and an inch below that for the full siphon.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok easy enough on the trickle pipe. Just 1" below for the full siphon? I'm not arguing I've seen your stuff so its clear you know what your doing, but I've now heard 1" , 3-4", and 6" below. haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back