OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you @Katrina71 for the kind words. Of course I came home realized I won the award and also realized my tank crashed while I was gone because of my own mistake. I've lost a lot of coral and am trying to get it turned around. I'll keep it updated through out the week on the progress. I'm a little bummed right now and mad at myself.

dcinky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you @Katrina71 for the kind words. Of course I came home realized I won the award and also realized my tank crashed while I was gone because of my own mistake. I've lost a lot of coral and am trying to get it turned around. I'll keep it updated through out the week on the progress. I'm a little bummed right now and mad at myself.
Sorry to hear that. What mistake did you make? Maybe someone can learn from it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. What mistake did you make? Maybe someone can learn from it.
Something incredibly simple, I didn't check my dosing containers before I left. My assumption is that they were near empty when I left and ran out right after I left. The alk and calcium droped hard and I think that caused my po4 to rise. Plan is to do 10% water changes the rest of this week and I filled the containers last night and am dosing again.

dcinky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something incredibly simple, I didn't check my dosing containers before I left. My assumption is that they were near empty when I left and ran out right after I left. The alk and calcium droped hard and I think that caused my po4 to rise. Plan is to do 10% water changes the rest of this week and I filled the containers last night and am dosing again.
Hopefully you can make a full recovery
Thanks for sharing your bad experience, I’m sure it will be helpful to others. I hope you can make a full recovery.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry you had a crash. You caught it quickly and did everything to correct the issue. You are human. We ALL make mistakes. You already have things bouncing back! That's awesome! Give it 6 weeks... you'll be amazed.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh, so much to keep track of. So little time. We work our butts off to afford our slice of the ocean, and sometimes it's far too easy to let a minor thing slip, and it results in a whoops a daisy moment.

Fingers crossed for a full recovery sir. We are rooting for u and the corals.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. This issue turned into pretty much an entire tank crash and I got pretty bummed as far as aquariums go. Then it got worse. We ended up moving, same town but found a place in the county on an acre with a shop and a barn. The move was fast, we only had two days to get it done. In the middle of it all I chipped my 90 gallon and had to scrap the whole thing. Ended up giving most of what I had left to a friend and just got down to my 50 gallon low boy with my wife's toby puffer and the tiny yellow tang. Ended up loosing my eel in the move, he survived the move but never ate after that and didn't last long after wards. So now I lost my prize tank and my prize fish. Since then it's been keeping the fish i have alive and that's about all. I all but got out of the hobby and if not for my wife I probably would have completely. However, she talked me into not getting rid of everything and giving it some time and I have.
My dad didn't want the 40 cube anymore and it was too pretty to see it go so I took the tank. It is currently sitting empty but I have decided to take the equipment I already have and slowly turn it into a nice aquarium to replace the low boy. I will still have my wifes toby puffer so I have to be careful about what coral goes in. so far he is living with some Zoa and some mushroom and haven't touched them so I'm hoping he continue this path. I'm not going to make another build thread just keep going in this one. I'm going to stay small for now so the maintenance is low. I don't have as much time as I used to, because now not only do i have work and normal life i'm a student as well. I'm slightly lower than what is considered full time this semester but will go full time next semester. so the goal is to keep it low maintenance so I can keep up with it and everything else. I've missed this forum and aquariums and am looking forward to it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a pic, some people may have seen this tank before. This isn’t the current state of the tank but it’s the tank I’ll be going with. I have some nice equipment on hand and should be able to make a nice tank out of this.

EF4D6D06-21C5-44CB-91A4-E18511378505.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well, well, if it isn't the prodigal reefer!

Happy to see you back. Not so happy to hear about your woes. Happy to hear you moved. Not so happy to hear you now have a barn and a shop because I'm jealous.

Looking forward to seeing you rebuild these tanks and add the 22g in too! (Might be a good idea to throw a link into the FW 22g thread sending folks over to this thread.) (Also, you never got your "Build Thread" badge.

And as a final zinger; hey, how's that excersise/weight program working for ya? :p

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well, well, if it isn't the prodigal reefer!

Happy to see you back. Not so happy to hear about your woes. Happy to hear you moved. Not so happy to hear you now have a barn and a shop because I'm jealous.

Looking forward to seeing you rebuild these tanks and add the 22g in too! (Might be a good idea to throw a link into the FW 22g thread sending folks over to this thread.) (Also, you never got your "Build Thread" badge.

And as a final zinger; hey, how's that excersise/weight program working for ya? :p
Thanks, I'm over the woes of it. They sucked but time to move on and enjoy the hobby again. I'll keep the office tank in here just because why not.

exercises/weight program is not up for discussion at the moment ;Dead

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm over the woes of it. They sucked but time to move on and enjoy the hobby again. I'll keep the office tank in here just because why not.

Cool!

exercises/weight program is not up for discussion at the moment ;Dead

Neither is my running program! (However, that will be changing soon.)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and I had a build thread badge, I wonder what happen to it. ;Shifty

I told them to remove it because you're a slacker! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back