35 gallon beginner stocking?

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I have an empty 35 gallon aquarium I want as my first saltwater tank. The dimensions are 30 L, 12 D, 17 H. I have a Fluval 407 canister for filtration and I am planning to invest in a sumpless ato, a protein skimmer, and a RODI water converter. I was wondering if there is anything you think I am missing or if there is something I don't need to buy. I was thinking to use an moderate to heavy amount of Caribsea dry rock and I'd also have dry sand. Should I go with live rock / sand instead? For stocking, I don't have any fish I am set on. I do like orchid dottybacks but am open to any stocking suggestions you have. Many people have said to stay away from any kind of coral / anemones but if you disagree, please let me know and what kind you recommend. Thank you all very much for any ideas!

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I have an empty 35 gallon aquarium I want as my first saltwater tank. The dimensions are 30 L, 12 D, 17 H. I have a Fluval 407 canister for filtration and I am planning to invest in a sumpless ato, a protein skimmer, and a RODI water converter. I was wondering if there is anything you think I am missing or if there is something I don't need to buy. I was thinking to use an moderate to heavy amount of Caribsea dry rock and I'd also have dry sand. Should I go with live rock / sand instead? For stocking, I don't have any fish I am set on. I do like orchid dottybacks but am open to any stocking suggestions you have. Many people have said to stay away from any kind of coral / anemones but if you disagree, please let me know and what kind you recommend. Thank you all very much for any ideas!
I would go with live sand and buy some beneficial bacteria to help cycle it and maintain the bacteria.I agree with not getting any corals for atleast 3 months after its set up. For stocking theres a lot of options ill just sugest some groups. Clownfish,wrasses,damsels,blennies,maybe something like a coral buety or a flame angle.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people use canister filters in marine tanks, I would swap that out with something else (but even if not your equipment should work). I always recommend dry rock over live - most 'live rock' these days is just dry rock that has been soaking in water. Real 'live rock' is rock that comes from the ocean with purple algae buildup and organisms all over it. Its pretty rare to find anymore and is very expensive compared to dry. Although cycling and stability process takes longer, starting with dry rock is cheaper and can potentially help you avoid any number of issues that come with live rock.

Definitely use a bacteria like Microbacter 7 or Biospira to assist in your cycle. Add fish slowly and sparingly after cycle is complete. If adding corals, do so several months later when tank has gone through algae/bacteria/diatom blooms and has shown itself to be stable. Generally this is indicated when the tank starts growing its own coraline algae

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people use canister filters in marine tanks, I would swap that out with something else (but even if not your equipment should work). I always recommend dry rock over live - most 'live rock' these days is just dry rock that has been soaking in water. Real 'live rock' is rock that comes from the ocean with purple algae buildup and organisms all over it. Its pretty rare to find anymore and is very expensive compared to dry. Although cycling and stability process takes longer, starting with dry rock is cheaper and can potentially help you avoid any number of issues that come with live rock.

Definitely use a bacteria like Microbacter 7 or Biospira to assist in your cycle. Add fish slowly and sparingly after cycle is complete. If adding corals, do so several months later when tank has gone through algae/bacteria/diatom blooms and has shown itself to be stable. Generally this is indicated when the tank starts growing its own coraline algae
Also i never really understood why canister fileters are frowned upon if you dont have room for a sump like me . I clean mine weakly and i have a pretty heavy stocked tank and im doing great.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as long as your not running a media in it that would have any detrimental effect on the bacteria it would be fine. In marine you usually want to include some type of refugium in your sump for nutrients, so open top options like a sump are easier. Could also control that through chemical filtration as well...

if I were using a canister, I’d fill it with floss/debris filter, some kind of bio media and a bag of carbon/gfo

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as long as your not running a media in it that would have any detrimental effect on the bacteria it would be fine. In marine you usually want to include some type of refugium in your sump for nutrients, so open top options like a sump are easier. Could also control that through chemical filtration as well...

if I were using a canister, I’d fill it with floss/debris filter, some kind of bio media and a bag of carbon/gfo
Yep thats what i have

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back