$350 HIPPO TANG YES HIPPO TANG ????????? (divers den)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Petco took over, prices on many fish went through the roof with this organization, even before the current situation with Covid and shipping appeared.

There we go!!!!! Can bank on this comment, or some variant of, within the first ten posts. It’s not true, of course .....

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nuthin... I am a professional accountant...

How much are you paying for toilet paper right now? All prices are always market sensitive... all prices. The market will correct itself, it always does.

One of you mentioned something like “once divers get used to earning those prices they’ll never come down...” yes they will. The one guy will tell his buddy, then 20 people... before you know they’ll flood the market and be forced to reduce prices again.

The simple answer is... for now... if you don’t want to pay those prices... don’t. Just be patient. Prices will come back down.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandemic pricing. Its gonna get worse before it gets better....If it ever gets better.

Prices were climbing before COVID .... but we will see some return to ‘normalcy’ once flights resume (at least partially). Acquantance of mine in the retail business says import costs for fish have gone way up ... so prices go way up. Fashionable to blame Petco I suppose .....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are rare but a hippo tang for more than a GEM tang 3 months ago is CRAZY !
WHY ARE PEOPLE PAYING LIKE THIS THE DISTIBUTORS AND WORST OF ALL THE DIVERS AND OVERSEAS WILL SEE AND WE'LL NEVER SEE NORMAL PRICES AGAIN!!

Well, somebody has to be willing to pay that much lol .... let’s see if it sells. I’ve been in the hobby since 1987 so what’s normal.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this site out for crazy fish prices and rare finds. They have some really exotic stuff

Holy cow

Screenshot_20200527-203653_Chrome.jpg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My import prices have skyrocketed. Not the price of fish from collectors, but freight is more than double. This is why we're seeing higher prices. That's the way things are right now.

then why are lfs prices the same as always and nowhere nearLA pricing?

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid 40 dollars for a bangaii cardinal and 60 for a diamond goby at a local shop. their corona prices...

$80 Canadian $ at one of my local stores in Canada. About $60 US$.

My import prices have skyrocketed. Not the price of fish from collectors, but freight is more than double. This is why we're seeing higher prices. That's the way things are right now.

Pretty much what my local stores have been saying, the cost of freight is double or more if there is even any flight options which is the other hurdle.

None of my stores have brought any livestock in since COVID so to be seen how much prices will be once they do, but they have all warned freight costs are much higher and along with poor exchange rate with the US$, there is no way the stores can absorb all the costs and not raise prices.

OP
OP
G

gambler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye but $350 + box charge and taxes= 400 bucks for a HIPPO tang that's crazy . I've heard the covid price rates and freight charges and it doesn't come close to justifiying this and if people pay it we will all suffer!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye but $350 + box charge and taxes= 400 bucks for a HIPPO tang that's crazy . I've heard the covid price rates and freight charges and it doesn't come close to justifiying this and if people pay it we will all suffer!

It's not really that crazy. A big tang can take up a large portion of a box, and if you know about regular mortality rates at a big facility like that it isn't much of a stretch to make a bigger fish quite expensive. It's the freight per box, plus box charge, re-ox and packaging, and freight to whatever airport is closest. Right now, that's way too expensive.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA raised prices substantially long before COVID. If you dig through Petco earnings transctipts you can see that LA has not made a profit in some time. Their response to that was to raise prices for DD fish to well above LFS prices. It's up to you if you want to pay them.

Freight is up substantially from overseas and the landed cost of fish is now about 2-2.5x of what is was before COVID. Many LFS's have taken a margin hit to keep livestock prices palatable so customers keep coming in. LA is not one of those places.

OP
OP
G

gambler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really that crazy. A big tang can take up a large portion of a box, and if you know about regular mortality rates at a big facility like that it isn't much of a stretch to make a bigger fish quite expensive. It's the freight per box, plus box charge, re-ox and packaging, and freight to whatever airport is closest. Right now, that's way too expensive.
less than 5 inches is not a big tang check it out!

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put another way - a 5" blue tang probably costs $150 to land now. Add on freight to Wisconsin...they are still taking in very nice margins at $350 for that thing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back