$350 HIPPO TANG YES HIPPO TANG ????????? (divers den)

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way Petco = quality marine = liveaquaria=diversden are paying close to $150 for a 4+ inch blue tang
The fact that wholesale prices are top secret, and this secrecy is actually enforced, tells you all you need to know :)

That said, the current price increases are due to the very high cost of freight right now, which is directly tied to the small number of flights available. As far as I can tell everybody including wholesalers has seen profit margins go down.

Unfortunately, since restrictions on international travel are some of the most important and easiest ways to limit the spread of a global pandemic, if I'm looking in my crystal ball I don't see this situation changing anytime soon. Like perhaps a year or two. Like all predictions about the future this one may be wrong, I hope so.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm wrong about this but I have a feeling this is going to be just like airline baggage fees. They were introduced because costs went up (fuel costs for airlines) and after costs came back down and fuel is lower that it's been in over a decade, the fees remain. If people willingly pay these prices, they'll never return to what they once were.

PS. Its not just DD . Regular liveaquaria fish are through the roof too. $400 for a sm, unquarantined purple tang that is drop shipped from a wholesaler in CA :oops:

OP
OP
G

gambler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm wrong about this but I have a feeling this is going to be just like airline baggage fees. They were introduced because costs went up (fuel costs for airlines) and after costs came back down and fuel is lower that it's been in over a decade, the fees remain. If people willingly pay these prices, they'll never return to what they once were.

PS. Its not just DD . Regular liveaquaria fish are through the roof too. $400 for a sm, unquarantined purple tang that is drop shipped from a wholesaler in CA :oops:
I agree and this was one of my points if people pay it will never go back to "normal"

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their prices for fish have significantly gone up over the last few years, its not a secret and it didn’t just start happening.

There we go!!!!! Can bank on this comment, or some variant of, within the first ten posts. It’s not true, of course .....

Last edited:

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, check out the Tinker's Butterfly that sold in 5 minutes:

1590703880515.png

These used to be $500, then jumped to $899 during the Hawaii ban, now $1299. PIA had one of these for $599 and TSM had one for $899 just a week or so ago. Prices are all over the place.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are rare but a hippo tang for more than a GEM tang 3 months ago is CRAZY !
WHY ARE PEOPLE PAYING LIKE THIS THE DISTIBUTORS AND WORST OF ALL THE DIVERS AND OVERSEAS WILL SEE AND WE'LL NEVER SEE NORMAL PRICES AGAIN!!
My LFS has a Gem Tang asking $1,399...

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the places with high prices are landlocked locales. I know my 2 stores where I live in Florida have normal prices on all their stuff and have no problem getting stuff in from the wholesalers in Miami.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put it is supply & demand; if the demand is there, it’ll sell. They do trickle out their supply to help manipulate the demand but hey- they’re a business. The recourse you have as a consumer is to take your demand elsewhere. As long as someone is willing to pay, it’ll be the norm.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I going crazy or that thread was older than it shows? I see it was posted yesterday yet I’m pretty sure I saw the post and first replies a few weeks ago.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their prices for fish have significantly gone up over the last few years, its not a secret and it didn’t just start happening.

Newsflash - EVERYBODY's prices for fish have gone up over the last few years …..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a Gem Tang asking $1,399...

LOL … rewind a few years and a gem tang was $3,500 ….. maybe you wern't in the hobby then ...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source of all the outrage hasn't sold …. and now there's a second one. Perhaps reefer are a bit more sensible than credited after all. Will be interesting to see whether DD drops the price and at what point it does sell.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm wrong about this but I have a feeling this is going to be just like airline baggage fees. They were introduced because costs went up (fuel costs for airlines) and after costs came back down and fuel is lower that it's been in over a decade, the fees remain.

Well, fuel costs have only come down recently .... because nobody is going anywhere LOL. Some of the elevated fish prices are speculation, but most is the high cost of freight ..... because nobody is going anywhere. Once the airlines calibrate to the 'next' normal, hopefully freight costs come down a bit. But, we shall see.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a quote of $55USD/kg to bring in corals from Australia. with a 750kg minimum! There just isn't enough flights to go around and the airlines are ballooning their rates.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a quote of $55USD/kg to bring in corals from Australia. with a 750kg minimum! There just isn't enough flights to go around and the airlines are ballooning their rates.

Yep. Used to paying like $3/kg from Bali, now $14/kg.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back