OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all are lucky. My tap waters TDS is usually around 740! .
Yeah I can't really say I'm complaining about it from what others have said - but I am trying to do what I can to extend the life of my resin - mostly because I hate replacing it :p.

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your RO pressurized tank used for drinking as well as your tank. Have you checked into TDS creep, there is a lot of good information available on the web. I reduced my DI resin consumption about 30 -40 per cent by removing my ro system from my ato , and just pre flushing my system each time I turned it on to fill my ro/di holding tank. My house TDS is 440 - 450 ppm after RO 19 ppm but if i watch my tds right after turning on my system it would peak up to 60 -80 ppm after ro for a short period. Multiply that many times a day and you get more DI resin consumption. flush it first and the burst of higher tds goes down the drain, and not into your system.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your RO pressurized tank used for drinking as well as your tank.
No. It's purely for storage for water changes - my 55 Gallon barrels are being delivered today.

Have you checked into TDS creep, there is a lot of good information available on the web. I reduced my DI resin consumption about 30 -40 per cent by removing my ro system from my ato , and just pre flushing my system each time I turned it on to fill my ro/di holding tank.
I set that up the other day - a flush before the DI that I run to drain until my TDS out of the membrane drops to normal.

zamerico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your RO membrane. At that pressure, you should be getting 2-3 TDS after membrane. I had the same problem. Changed the membrane and it solved my problem.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is out of everything but the mixed bed resin. Any other good anion/cation resin suppliers?

I could use up the mixed bed stuff and then separate anion and cation when I recharge it - but would really prefer to just find it already separated and ready to go.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/bulk-di-resin/
Doesn't appear to be color changing, but if you are already monitoring TDS that won't be an issue.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your RO membrane. At that pressure, you should be getting 2-3 TDS after membrane. I had the same problem. Changed the membrane and it solved my problem.
It's a brand new setup straight from BRS. The membranes are new unless I got a used system. It didn't look used.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/bulk-di-resin/
Doesn't appear to be color changing, but if you are already monitoring TDS that won't be an issue.
Yeah color changing isn't really important to me - I run a dual mixed-bed setup so that when it starts to creep up between the canisters I can swap them and never let any TDS by to the product water. Thanks for the link!

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just fire the system up after having not messed with it since yesterday and saw !247 TDS! for a few minutes as it slowly dropped down to ~8 TDS where it settled. This is with 1:4 ratio [installed the 800 ml restrictor]. So yeah it's entirely possible this big burst is what was eating it up.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about installing a RO/DI in external laundry room where heat can get over a hundred. Are there any cautions there?

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about installing a RO/DI in external laundry room where heat can get over a hundred. Are there any cautions there?
I think the upper limit for a RO membrane is 110 or 115 but even in a hot external building the water should still be cooler than the air imho.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've made about ~100 gallons and I'm presently sending 7 TDS in to the first mixed bed resin and getting 1 TDS out after - the color change on the first bed shows about 75% exhausted.

It does look like I'm going to be going through resin pretty quickly even with 7 TDS so I likely do have high CO2 or something. I guess I'll look into gravity-fed DI between my RO storage and my mixing tank or otherwise I'll just deal with changing resin a lot.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to 5 stages of deionization. Cation - Anion - Mixed 1 - Mixed 2 - Mixed 3.

I have TDS monitoring before DI, between each DI stage, and after.

Whatever gets used up the fastest I’ll double up on be it cation or anion and will drop to two stages of mixed.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA022231-7B86-4251-A6A9-12636B11ED5C.jpeg 2F7D21F3-36CC-4B83-895C-68067BD61A54.jpeg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to 5 stages of deionization. Cation - Anion - Mixed 1 - Mixed 2 - Mixed 3.

I have TDS monitoring before DI, between each DI stage, and after.

Whatever gets used up the fastest I’ll double up on be it cation or anion and will drop to two stages of mixed.
That's it, show that DI resin who's boss!

I'm running 4-stages of DI, because I had an extra dual cansister sitting around. I may switch to the cation/anion single bed at some point when these cartridges wear out. So I'm selfishly following your progress to see what not to do....

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I ordered the triple resin setup [without resin, was out of stock] and already had the dual mixed from the 6-Stage so I figured why not use all 5.

I don't like the idea of using a single mixed-bed because once it starts passing TDS - your product water has TDS. It didn't make sense to have just a single in use out of the pair - so I used both.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back