36 bowfront aquascape suggestions?

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm new to this and am setting up a 36 gallon bowfront. I plan on getting a large tank when I redoe my basement but wanted to get something smaller going now. I picked up the tank, stand and some accessories the other day. I also picked up a decent amount of rocks from a mature tank. I feel I have a amount of rocks but wouldn't mind some tips on the placement. Since I am so new to this and don't really have a definite direction as to what I want to keep in the tank, I will just say it will be a mix of anything I find interesting. I know...not much to go off of. Lol. I'm hoping to learn a lot so I know what direction I want to go when I set up my large tank in the future. Here are a couple pics of the rock layouts I tried.
20230520_102400.jpg

This is showing the main rock and 2 rocks on top of it. The main rock creates a large cave. I know caves are great and necessary but is it good to have a huge cave like that?
I was able to fit another rock in the cave to kind of break it up a bit. This next picture shows it. This is the current set up which is not final. I just put them in so the rocks don't dry out.
20230521_163519.jpg

I did try a couple options and I seem to be leaning towards standing up the 2 rocks on each end of the base rock. They sat very sturdy and also created some more small caves. I'm open to any ideas and let me know if there are any questions or more pics needed. Thanks.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just flipped the rocks and moved it to the left. I also added a picture of the top view. It may be a good idea to spin the main rock 180 but I like the side facing the front right now better. It has some nice large holes in the front face of it. Also this is the side with the large opening to the cave.
20230521_165133.jpg
20230521_165151.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t go with the first design, too much chance of it toppling and striking the glass. Also I’ve never saw Arches on a Reef in the Ocean.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stand that rock that is on the right on its side fat side up and lean it on the right side of your scape. Imho

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stand that rock that is on the right on its side fat side up and lean it on the right side of your scape. Imho

Haha. I was watching a video about the rule of thirds the other day. Complete change of plans. I will be getting rid of the rocks. They are full of vermetid snails. Now I just have to figure out if it is safe to keep the sand and water.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything you could soak the rocks in to kill the Vermetid Snails, and not kill off everything else? Thinking a large dose of Magnesium?

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything you could soak the rocks in to kill the Vermetid Snails, and not kill off everything else? Thinking a large dose of Magnesium?
I wish I knew. Since the tank is only a couple weeks old I don't even want to take a chance. I tried to take a short-cut and use live rock from another aquarium even though I knew there was a risk and it came back to bite me. Lol just took the rocks out. All that is left in the tank is 2 clowns and 2 emerald crabs. I will put the clowns back into the tank I took them out of yesterday and am going to put the emeralds into a tank I will be using as a quarantine tank until I can find out if the water and sand are safe to put some dry rock into it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back