36 gallon to 112 gallon tank upgrade questions

Maverik276

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Pretty new to the forum so bare with me. I have 36 gallon mixed reef that’s been running for over two years. I just bought an IM 112 gallon lagoon cube. The new tank is eventually going where the current tank is. I’m looking for some advice on my plan for the move. I have the new tank sitting across from its eventual home right now. My plan is to plumb the new tank and leak check it where it is. I have felt sliders under it and can slide it across the floor to its final destination once emptied.

Here’s where my confusion begins. I know I need new sand and more rock than I have for the bigger tank. I want to use Fiji pink live sand and caribsea liferock dry rock. If I setup the new tank, mix the saltwater in the tank then add new sand and the liferock, then move my existing rock as well as a marine pure block and several bags of ceramic bio media from my current tank, can I add my fish, inverts and corals as well without having any disasters? If this seems like a good idea should I supplement with some Dr. Tim’s or other form of beneficial bacteria to be safe?

Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any and all feedback and thoughts. TIA

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Pretty new to the forum so bare with me. I have 36 gallon mixed reef that’s been running for over two years. I just bought an IM 112 gallon lagoon cube. The new tank is eventually going where the current tank is. I’m looking for some advice on my plan for the move. I have the new tank sitting across from its eventual home right now. My plan is to plumb the new tank and leak check it where it is. I have felt sliders under it and can slide it across the floor to its final destination once emptied.

Here’s where my confusion begins. I know I need new sand and more rock than I have for the bigger tank. I want to use Fiji pink live sand and caribsea liferock dry rock. If I setup the new tank, mix the saltwater in the tank then add new sand and the liferock, then move my existing rock as well as a marine pure block and several bags of ceramic bio media from my current tank, can I add my fish, inverts and corals as well without having any disasters? If this seems like a good idea should I supplement with some Dr. Tim’s or other form of beneficial bacteria to be safe?

Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any and all feedback and thoughts. TIA

Yes you can straight transfer as your current tank is well established. I personally would add a bottle of bio spira just to be safe as its a rather large upgrade and the current rock you have may not be enough for a tank that large.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back