36 hours no heat or water movement

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting this off by saying i am an IDIOT and hope my fish don't have to die because of that fact. i found out that i have an electrical gremlin somewhere in my house sucking up electricity. i tried to turn everything off in the house and see if i could monitor energy usage in real time to see where it was coming from. no luck but i forgot to plug the fish tank back in when i was done with all this. that was late Wednesday night. i checked the temperature of the tank this morning to see that it was 58 degrees! at that moment i remember that i never turned the power back on in the tank. both my clown fish are on their sides and every few seconds will show signs of life looking like they are drunk and my scopas tang is swimming around like nothings wrong. i have the house heat on blast to try and bring the water temp up assisting the in tank heater. anyone think when i return home from work i will see 2 completely dead clowns or did i catch my mistake in time?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
starting this off by saying i am an IDIOT and hope my fish don't have to die because of that fact. i found out that i have an electrical gremlin somewhere in my house sucking up electricity. i tried to turn everything off in the house and see if i could monitor energy usage in real time to see where it was coming from. no luck but i forgot to plug the fish tank back in when i was done with all this. that was late Wednesday night. i checked the temperature of the tank this morning to see that it was 58 degrees! at that moment i remember that i never turned the power back on in the tank. both my clown fish are on their sides and every few seconds will show signs of life looking like they are drunk and my scopas tang is swimming around like nothings wrong. i have the house heat on blast to try and bring the water temp up assisting the in tank heater. anyone think when i return home from work i will see 2 completely dead clowns or did i catch my mistake in time?
There is no way to know whether you caught it in time. BUT - do you have someone that can check on the tank - because if the clowns (or other things die) - (I don't know what you have) - there could be problems with ammonia - and that could kill the rest of the living things. Fish can often times tolerate cooler temperatures (is the temperature in your house 58? - otherwise how could it get that low?).

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in MN where it is currently -10 outside and costs a fortune to heat a house all day. During the day when nobody is home it can get as low as 50 degrees and thats where my tank heater would normally kick in keeping the tank at 70 degrees but as stated i was an idiot and unplugged the tank and forgot to plug it back in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i live in MN where it is currently -10 outside and costs a fortune to heat a house all day. During the day when nobody is home it can get as low as 50 degrees and thats where my tank heater would normally kick in keeping the tank at 70 degrees but as stated i was an idiot and unplugged the tank and forgot to plug it back in.
I would suggest that you keep your tank at 75 minimum. That aside. The only thing to do is wait. Unless you can have someone check the tank

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crud your right i was typing 70 but thinking 75. i have a temp gauge on my tank and sweet spot is between 70 and 80 so normally just look at the gauge and make sure its in the middle.

Back