360g Angel dominated mix reef tank

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool, I am looking for small majestic also, seems this one is the least prone to nip LPS and SPS

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From hardiness perspective, from ur experience, which one is hardier, goldflake or majestic angelfish?
i only can choose 1 fish, between goldflake and majestic. My tank already have yellow tang, so I already have yellow fish, and I don’t have blue color fish.
thanks much

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From hardiness perspective, from ur experience, which one is hardier, goldflake or majestic angelfish?
i only can choose 1 fish, between goldflake and majestic. My tank already have yellow tang, so I already have yellow fish, and I don’t have blue color fish.
thanks much
Majesty is a shy fish , gold flake will be more visible however if u only have 1 angel then majestic is fine since they are no other angel bully it.

Jimbo327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I was wondering what happened to your stag tank. Sorry to hear that it crashed because of a power outage. I loved seeing those stags grown out, it provides great structure. Looking forward to seeing the angel tank. I'm surprised you didn't just keep your old tank and use it for the angel tank.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there
For those of you who knew me before welcome back. For the new folks my name is Anthony from Irvine ca. My old tank was a 360g peninsula staghorn dominated reef tank.
During the pandemic i have an power outage and the tank crashed. I was able to sell and give away most of my sps and only keeping fish only for 2 years from 2020-2021.
But once a reefer always a reefer so I restarted the tank in the beginning of Jan 2022.
The new tank is quite different. Its no longer peninsula but a traditional front to back set up. Now i can really appreciate the 36” deep.
Tank is aquascape with reef rock branch and arch. And for the light i went with 4x neptune sky and 6x kessil 360x.
Since its an angel dominated reef tank i need heavy export to control nutrients produce by 10 angels and 10 tangs.
Zeovit dosing, algae scrubber and large skimmer taking care of the bio load. I also set up 1g wc everyday to keep up with trace elements. Instead of ca reactor im running a kalk reactor for high ph and keeping the alkalinity stable.
For now there’s only frags in the tank so the alk uptake is minimal no needs to run ca reactor. Below is the list of equipment
AQUARIUM
96”x36”x24” 360g AA acrylic tank
LIGHTING
4x neptune sky
6x kessil 360x

FLOW
2x mp60
5x jebao sow 20
1 tunze wave box
1 tunze 6085

SKIMMER
vertex a300

ALGAE REACTOR
Clear water c300

RETURN PUMP
Red dragon

CONTROLLER
Hydros, Apex and GHL

SUMP
Custom sump by AA

CA REACTOR
Dual chamber reef octopus, Alan Lee custom regulator and masterflex pump.

FRAGS TANK
2x 100g shallow tank. One run with T5. One run with led.

Well that’s for now more will come

The new

The old

Looking very nice, beautiful angels and nice fish selection.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, I was wondering what happened to your stag tank. Sorry to hear that it crashed because of a power outage. I loved seeing those stags grown out, it provides great structure. Looking forward to seeing the angel tank. I'm surprised you didn't just keep your old tank and use it for the angel tank.
I did but i dont set up as peninsula style anymore. Yeah I collect a bunch of new sticks and now just sit back and wait for them to grow.
My angels list most are juvenile
Emperator
Blue face
Majestic
La mark
Japanese swallow tail M and F
French
Lemon peel
Queen
Flame

My tang list
Koi
Purple
Yellow
Gem
Blue tang x 3
Clown
Blonde naso
Chocolate

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks its going to be a cool journey watching those juveniles angel change to adulthood and also the sps frags become colonies.
I have read from the best angelfish keepers that there is nothing better than raising some of these fish from juveniles and seeing them become adults, a great and fun task.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello there
For those of you who knew me before welcome back. For the new folks my name is Anthony from Irvine ca. My old tank was a 360g peninsula staghorn dominated reef tank.
During the pandemic i have an power outage and the tank crashed. I was able to sell and give away most of my sps and only keeping fish only for 2 years from 2020-2021.
But once a reefer always a reefer so I restarted the tank in the beginning of Jan 2022.
The new tank is quite different. Its no longer peninsula but a traditional front to back set up. Now i can really appreciate the 36” deep.
Tank is aquascape with reef rock branch and arch. And for the light i went with 4x neptune sky and 6x kessil 360x.
Since its an angel dominated reef tank i need heavy export to control nutrients produce by 10 angels and 10 tangs.
Zeovit dosing, algae scrubber and large skimmer taking care of the bio load. I also set up 1g wc everyday to keep up with trace elements. Instead of ca reactor im running a kalk reactor for high ph and keeping the alkalinity stable.
For now there’s only frags in the tank so the alk uptake is minimal no needs to run ca reactor. Below is the list of equipment
AQUARIUM
96”x36”x24” 360g AA acrylic tank
LIGHTING
4x neptune sky
6x kessil 360x

FLOW
2x mp60
5x jebao sow 20
1 tunze wave box
1 tunze 6085

SKIMMER
vertex a300

ALGAE REACTOR
Clear water c300

RETURN PUMP
Red dragon

CONTROLLER
Hydros, Apex and GHL

SUMP
Custom sump by AA

CA REACTOR
Dual chamber reef octopus, Alan Lee custom regulator and masterflex pump.

FRAGS TANK
2x 100g shallow tank. One run with T5. One run with led.

Well that’s for now more will come

The new

The old

So I just started a 210g XXL750 softy tank with angels. A couple of questions if you don’t mind? I have a 3-4” passar (king) a changling emperor 3”, blue Koran maybe 2.5” and a 2-3” xanthrus. I put them all in to the tank from QT at the same time and haven’t had any aggression issues. I purchased a Queen and a French received on 8/30 and they are about ready to come out of QT. They came in much bigger than I ordered, the Queen is probably 7” and the French about 6”. Do you think they will be too aggressive to add to the angels I currently have in the tank?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just started a 210g XXL750 softy tank with angels. A couple of questions if you don’t mind? I have a 3-4” passar (king) a changling emperor 3”, blue Koran maybe 2.5” and a 2-3” xanthrus. I put them all in to the tank from QT at the same time and haven’t had any aggression issues. I purchased a Queen and a French received on 8/30 and they are about ready to come out of QT. They came in much bigger than I ordered, the Queen is probably 7” and the French about 6”. Do you think they will be too aggressive to add to the angels I currently have in the tank?
Angel aggression is much less than tang. Since the bigger one add in last they wont be the boss right away however your tank size housing 6 potential large angels is at the limits. The smaller the tank the more aggressive the fish because they want their territory

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been wanting to do an emperor and 3 regals but have been concerned about them nipping. Do you have any clams? That’s another concern I’ve had adding large angels.
No clam and meaty corals. Best is to raise them from juvenile stage so they dont have a taste for corals. Nori clip is a must so they will be busy nipping at algae.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Angel aggression is much less than tang. Since the bigger one add in last they wont be the boss right away however your tank size housing 6 potential large angels is at the limits. The smaller the tank the more aggressive the fish because they want their territory
Thanks. I do plan to upsize at some point. Have 5 tanks currently. Planning a custom for the angels as they grow. Going to try to determine what dimensions I want and can get into my basement. Then plan what might be my last build.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No clam and meaty corals. Best is to raise them from juvenile stage so they dont have a taste for corals. Nori clip is a must so they will be busy nipping at algae.
Does your Queen eat nori? The French is eating like crazy but the Queen ignores it.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sooooo tempted to add angelfish to my SPS dominant tank. I have two dwarf angelfish (flame and lemon peel) are waiting in another tank for quite some time but I am really scared to transfer them. I need to fix the auto feeder and I will be follow your feeding routine.

Nice tank and fish collection you have there

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sooooo tempted to add angelfish to my SPS dominant tank. I have two dwarf angelfish (flame and lemon peel) are waiting in another tank for quite some time but I am really scared to transfer them. I need to fix the auto feeder and I will be follow your feeding routine.

Nice tank and fish collection you have there
My love for angel fish is always strong. Even with my old tank with full sps i still have quite a few. Flame and lemon peel are not bad because they can eat variety of food. But the pigmy and flameback are way worse

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back