360g Angel dominated mix reef tank

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the pigmy and flameback are way worse

How strange, I have kept both Centropygi Argi and Acanthrops species over many years and never experienced a single problem with them pecking corals. Have you kept them?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How strange, I have kept both Centropygi Argi and Acanthrops species over many years and never experienced a single problem with them pecking corals. Have you kept them?
Yes i did. However with angel fish its a hit and miss.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i did. However with angel fish its a hit and miss.
Hmmm well I must have had a dozen or more argi or acanthrops over the yeas,never had one go bandit. Am not talking all angels just the specis I mention.
I have kept bicolour, multibar and yellow and a regal. I wouldn't trust them with some corals however. The pygmy angels have all been safer IME.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hmmm well I must have had a dozen or more argi or acanthrops over the yeas,never had one go bandit. Am not talking all angels just the specis I mention.
I have kept bicolour, multibar and yellow and a regal. I wouldn't trust them with some corals however. The pygmy angels have all been safer IME.
My cousin had a potter’s that was fine in his tank. He decided to get out and gave me everything he had. Put it and his corals in my reef. The potter found something in my tank it liked, then ripped through all of my corals and his. It is hit and miss.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cousin had a potter’s that was fine in his tank. He decided to get out and gave me everything he had. Put it and his corals in my reef. The potter found something in my tank it liked, then ripped through all of my corals and his. It is hit and miss.
I have no experience with Potters angels only the 2 I mentioned which I have never had any issues with. Potters also get a fair bit larger than those I mentioned and aren't really pygmy angels which maybe something to do with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s some of my experiences how to keep angel fish in a reef tank
1) try to get juvenile fish. They haven’t got a taste for coral yet so less chance of nipping.
2) Feeding schedule through out the day. Best way is with auto feeder because u can feed small quantity. Nori clip for them to gaze algae instead of corals.
3) corals selection is the key. Sps , Torches , Hammer, Frog spawn , Elegant , Mushrooms, Soft corals , Anemones, Chalice, Montipora so far are safe in my tank. Any meaty corals such as Acan , Donut, Brain , Scoly are at risk. Clam is 50/50 if u have a few angels but for my tank is dangerous.
4) Angel fish selections. Reef safe angel is a no brainer Lamark, Japanese swallow tail , Flame . Angel with big mouth have less chance of nipping polyps because they rather eat larger food items like sponges. However with angel fish its a hit and miss so u have to decide is the fish is more or less important compared to your corals.
A tank full of variety of angel fish is awesome. They dont get super aggressive like tang and their color is spectacular.
Hopefully this will help for anyone who wants to add angel fish into their reef tank however its still a risk of bad behavior fish.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread. I decided to try dwarf angels. I have a coral beauty and a flame angel. The coral beauty doesn't touch anything. But the flame only nibs at my gonipora. It sucks its polyps in so far, it looks almost dead. I put it in another tank. Took several weeks to look normal.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some of my experiences how to keep angel fish in a reef tank
1) try to get juvenile fish. They haven’t got a taste for coral yet so less chance of nipping.
2) Feeding schedule through out the day. Best way is with auto feeder because u can feed small quantity. Nori clip for them to gaze algae instead of corals.
3) corals selection is the key. Sps , Torches , Hammer, Frog spawn , Elegant , Mushrooms, Soft corals , Anemones, Chalice, Montipora so far are safe in my tank. Any meaty corals such as Acan , Donut, Brain , Scoly are at risk. Clam is 50/50 if u have a few angels but for my tank is dangerous.
4) Angel fish selections. Reef safe angel is a no brainer Lamark, Japanese swallow tail , Flame . Angel with big mouth have less chance of nipping polyps because they rather eat larger food items like sponges. However with angel fish its a hit and miss so u have to decide is the fish is more or less important compared to your corals.
A tank full of variety of angel fish is awesome. They dont get super aggressive like tang and their color is spectacular.
Hopefully this will help for anyone who wants to add angel fish into their reef tank however its still a risk of bad behavior fish.
Excellent information, I would only add that keeping the corals in a fairly good health point helps a lot, the angelfishes can "search" for corals that are in poor condition, or that may be under some kind of stress either for another coral or some deficiency in water chemistry. The argi complex is usually a group of angelfishes that usually behave well with corals, however their aggressiveness towards other pomacanthids is usually very marked, despite the fact that they are the smallest of the family.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your large angels? I just bought adult regal angel (I know this is very difficult fish to eat). I plan to give him angel frozen , nori and pellets. Should I also try half shell clam? So far He is not shy in my tank. Thanks much

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you feed your large angels? I just bought adult regal angel (I know this is very difficult fish to eat). I plan to give him angel frozen , nori and pellets. Should I also try half shell clam? So far He is not shy in my tank. Thanks much
I feed everything nori , flake , pellet and frozen. As far as regal i used to have one before it will eat everything too when it’s break in. Its picky in the beginning but it will eat everything.
i would save the clam for last resort because if the regal like it then it will not touch other foods

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feed all my angels - hikari mega marine angel, plankton, spirulina brine shrimp, and PE Mysis. I also feed nori. Haven’t fed pellets yet.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your genicanthus angels. I have a pair of Swallowtails and a pair of Lamarcks. They are so friendly and active. One of the Lamarcks turned male (despite being bullied by an agressive female swallowtail). He's my favorite fish.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love your genicanthus angels. I have a pair of Swallowtails and a pair of Lamarcks. They are so friendly and active. One of the Lamarcks turned male (despite being bullied by an agressive female swallowtail). He's my favorite fish.
Yeah the female is very active and eats everything. The male is more timid and only eat frozen and flake.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good brand for sinking pellets for angelfish. Right now I am feeding my new regal with nori and angel frozen. My BrS pellet is floating type, since he only eat from the bottom

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back