36g bowfront: Cycle is done and its time to add fish. Question about lighting though:

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously I thought about doing a fish-in cycling but since I was going to wait 2 weeks and do nothing... I cycled the tank using Dr Tims stuff. 10 days later its all done.
Post Dr Tim measurements:
Salinity: 1.021sg/25ppm
NH3: .5 (assuming common api misread)
NO2: 0
NO3: 80+? (I did a previous 10g water change that was showing 160+)
post-cycling-complete-measurements.jpg

Then I did a 50%+ water change:
post-water-change-measurements.jpg

And FTS looks like this:
full-tank-shot-w-lights.jpg

I did add two ocellaris (orange) clowns but I will be removing them because the LFS plainly lied/mislead me. I told him that I wanted a b/w oce and an orange oce together and he told me that they will try to kill each other since they are different colors. I thought I read that if they were both ocies... then it would be ok but he confirmed it with another person and I ended up getting 2 orange ocies. But, when I came back home... I read a b/w oce and orange oce will be perfectly fine. So, Im going to return them.
Tank-w-clownfish.jpg

My question is about lighting. I do have 2x Hydra 32 HDs (from a previous high light planted tank):
1. Do I start a lighting profile as if Im going to be adding the specific corals I want now? (softies and LPS - basic/budget friendly only until I figure out what I am doing)
2. Do I start with a 10 hour light period or should i start with a 4 hour and gradually raise the time range so the tank "can get used to the amount of lighting?" For example, start with a 4 hour period then in 2 weeks make it 6 hours and 2 weeks/ 8 hours and so on?
3. Or do I just leave it on for the 10 hours and "acclimate" the light for two months at 50% or higher?
EDIT: "acclimate" means to "ramp up the power to an x amount of days. So if acclimate is set to 30 days then it would ramp up the full power per the profile in 30 days.
I will be using this profile from the BRSinvestigates:
Hydra 32 lighting profile
Which looks like this:
brs-recommended-lighting-profile.jpg

Even though my tank is 30x16x21... I can use this profile has a template as best as I can.

TLDR:

1. Do I start a lighting profile as if Im going to be adding the specific corals I want now? (softies and LPS - basic/budget friendly only until I figure out what I am doing)
2. Do I start with a 10 hour light period or should i start with a 4 hour and gradually raise the time range so the tank "can get used to the amount of lighting?" For example, start with a 4 hour period then in 2 weeks make it 6 hours and 2 weeks/ 8 hours and so on?
3. Or do I just leave it on for the 10 hours and "acclimate" the light for two months at 50% or higher?
EDIT: "acclimate" means to "ramp up the power to an x amount of days. So if acclimate is set to 30 days then it would ramp up the full power per the profile in 30 days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back