36G Bowfront stocking list and what order?

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 36g bowfront but will be changing to a 40g breeder soon. My question is about my stocking list and what is the recommended order I should put them in?
1. 2x occe clownfish. (they are in now for the last month)
2. Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp
3. CUC
4. 1x Royal Gramma
5. 1x Yellow Tang (I know this fish will grow way too large for a 36g but if I get him small in the beginning... I should be able to fit him in once I get my larger tank by end of year.
6. 1x Lawnmower blenny
7. 1x Firefish or 1x Neon Goby
8. 1x Wrasse (six-line possibility but looking for a utilitarian fish)

Any recommendations or guidance would be welcome. I know there are a lot of lists and I have looked up quite a few of them. This is my opinion on all the lists for a starter saltwater keeper but Im really confused on the order since information is either really old or not specified for order.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you already have a 75 up and running, don’t get the tang.
Coris wrasse may be a better fit than the 6 line. 6 lines have a bad reputation for being evil, and I wouldn’t want to chance it.
Everything else will be fine, though I would’ve done the clowns last ideally, as they are the meanest on the list.
Do the wrasse and blenny last as those are most likely to be aggressive.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you already have a 75 up and running, don’t get the tang.
In regards to the Tang... just 100% rule it out then? I will be ordering the new tank for xmas so it will probably not be running until early march?
I would’ve done the clowns last ideally, as they are the meanest on the list.
Lol... and that is a huge misconception so I added the clowns after the cycling period because they are the hardiest.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... and that is a huge misconception so I added the clowns after the cycling period because they are the hardiest.
I and many others can confirm for you from experience that clowns are nasty fish, and if they establish a territory before other fish, will become a major problem.

As far as the tang goes, I personally wouldn’t do it, in the event that you do not have a tank up and running by the time it needs to be transferred. More so, they tend to need a lot of horizontal space for grazing, even at a young age.

busfullofderps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for jerk clowns going in last. You could always use a damselfish to help cycle and then return it to your LFS when your tank is cycled and ready to begin adding your desired livestock.

I would consider a pink streaked or possum wrasse rather than the 6-line. I have had huge success with my yellow banded possum wrasse controlling my bristle worm population. They are a more docile fish, would add before other aggressive species.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and many others can confirm for you from experience that clowns are nasty fish, and if they establish a territory before other fish, will become a major problem.

+1 for jerk clowns going in last. You could always use a damselfish to help cycle and then return it to your LFS when your tank is cycled and ready to begin adding your desired livestock.
I appreciate both of your input and thank you for guiding another noob in this hobby. In your opinion, if I were to re-home/remove the clowns and then add the following... would this be a decent idea?
  1. Remove oce clowns
  2. Yellow Watchman + Pistol shrimp (add)
  3. Royal Gramma (add)
  4. Coral Reef Beauty (I saw a really small one that said captive bred but its really small)
  5. Firefish
  6. Pink Streaked wrasse
  7. Lawnmower blenny (at this point wouldnt this be too many fish?)
  8. 2x Oce clowns

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate both of your input and thank you for guiding another noob in this hobby. In your opinion, if I were to re-home/remove the clowns and then add the following... would this be a decent idea?
  1. Remove oce clowns
  2. Yellow Watchman + Pistol shrimp (add)
  3. Royal Gramma (add)
  4. Coral Reef Beauty (I saw a really small one that said captive bred but its really small)
  5. Firefish
  6. Pink Streaked wrasse
  7. Lawnmower blenny (at this point wouldnt this be too many fish?)
  8. 2x Oce clowns
That should work. You don’t have to pull the clowns but it would definitely help. If you have a small 10 gallon, you can keep them in there for a bit.
Coral beauty is 50/50, some go for corals but others are very well behaved. Might be a bit of a squeeze in a 36, but should be okay for a 40B.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clowns full grown or juvenile? Juvenile clowns are completely fine to add first. They get nasty and territorial once they get big.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also wait on the yellow tang until you have a 75 gallon tank at a minimum. I got a baby Biota yellow tang for my 80 gallon lagoon tank (see build thread), and he grew from quarter sized to silver dollar sized in about 4-5 months. He should also be the last fish added in my opinion; mine was the king of the tank by the 2nd week I had him. As a baby.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clowns full grown or juvenile? Juvenile clowns are completely fine to add first. They get nasty and territorial once they get big.
Smaller one is about 1.25" in length and maybe .75" height.
Bigger one is about 1.5" L and 1"H.
I really dont know how to determine what the typical size of a juvenile is... the captive bred coral beauty was probably .5"L and .25"H so that one was definitely a "juvenile."
I would also wait on the yellow tang until you have a 75 gallon tank at a minimum.
I actually have a 75g in place but it is for cichlids at this time. At the time of me considering of starting a saltwater tank... I intended to rehome the cichlids (in 75g) and mothball the 36g to save on space/money.
36g-75g.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller one is about 1.25" in length and maybe .75" height.
Bigger one is about 1.5" L and 1"H.
I really dont know how to determine what the typical size of a juvenile is... the captive bred coral beauty was probably .5"L and .25"H so that one was definitely a "juvenile."

I actually have a 75g in place but it is for cichlids at this time. At the time of me considering of starting a saltwater tank... I intended to rehome the cichlids (in 75g) and mothball the 36g to save on space/money.
36g-75g.jpg
It’s hard to tell what is a juvie and what is an adult for a lot of fish. They’re still young enough where they shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back