36in width tank recommendation

Dschwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

So I've been lurking for a bit on these forums and watching/reading a lot of guides/tutorials since I've been thinking of getting my first saltwater tank. I've started the process of hardware I'll need in my basement (Brute mixing station/quarantine tank/etc.) and I'm currently debating on what tank I'll have on the main floor at my house. Last week I was pretty dead set on getting Red Sea 300XL, but after going to the LFS for the first time and explaining to the people there of my intentions, I was literally shocked on how bad I was basically called out that it was a terrible decision to go that route and I'm better off with basically any other tank. Besides the awesome coral and fish they had, the whole experience was basically cringe worthy since I was basically belittled for my idea in front of the other customers.

So could anyone give me any guidance/recommendation on a ~36 inch width tank that they view as high quality/reliable? My plan is to have the tank on the right side of this room (pic below) next to the half-wall splitting the room up with my office. I'd prefer the rimless type tank since I like the design/look if at all possible. I was also thinking I can drill a hole through the half-wall and have something such as an Ikea cabinet with more hardware on the right side of the wall to keep a minimalistic look from this room if that makes sense.

If you need additional info from me on this, just let me know and I'll provide any additional info needed!

Thanks! Dan

1605456201743.png

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they give you any reason why the Red Sea was a bad idea or recommend something else? I've owned Red Sea tanks for years (a 350 and max nano) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They did have some issue recently with the 750xl and possibly a few others, but they have corrected the problems I thought. The 300xl looks like nice tank.

Other options you could look at: Waterbox 100.3, Innovative Marine Nuvo INT75 or INT112, or the Planet Aquariums Crystaline Reef 36"

OP
OP
D

Dschwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got pretty busy after I walked in so he had to help other customers that were actually buying stuff, but he brought up getting a custom tank such as one made in the USA (I don't think he said a name of a vendor) for about the same cost or going with I believe he said MarineLand without the rimless since it'll have a screen/top on it regardless so might as well get one with supported rim.

His argument was they have a higher fail rate, the stands aren't structurally sound (ikea like), provided hardware isn't great, and they're overpriced for what you get.

I'm not trying to bash RedSea by any means either, I'm just at a point where I thought I had a sound plan and walked out questioning if I really knew what I was getting myself into is all.

I'll take a look at those other tanks you suggested. Thanks a bunch!

Dan

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with any other saltwater tank. I just put the first fish in my RSR 350 and I don't have anything to complain about. It looks great and the cabinet is sturdy. IIRC, the XL line uses even better cabinet materials - I would have gotten an XL but they were too wide. Waterbox was tied for first choice, but I got a good deal at an LFS that sells Red Sea below MAP. If you are interested in Red Sea, ask for you LFS pricing. Could save you a couple hundred bucks.

As far as fail rate goes, I've read the threads, too. But suspect that Red Sea is not any worse than any other manufacturer. They just sell a TON of aquariums. All the opinions I got when I asked a few months ago was you can't go wrong with a Reefer or a Waterbox.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got pretty busy after I walked in so he had to help other customers that were actually buying stuff, but he brought up getting a custom tank such as one made in the USA (I don't think he said a name of a vendor) for about the same cost or going with I believe he said MarineLand without the rimless since it'll have a screen/top on it regardless so might as well get one with supported rim.

His argument was they have a higher fail rate, the stands aren't structurally sound (ikea like), provided hardware isn't great, and they're overpriced for what you get.

I'm not trying to bash RedSea by any means either, I'm just at a point where I thought I had a sound plan and walked out questioning if I really knew what I was getting myself into is all.

I'll take a look at those other tanks you suggested. Thanks a bunch!

Dan
Do you mind sharing which LFS this is? I am just curious since it may be close to me as well if you are in Peoria, and I am looking for an LFS near me. If you would rather not share publicly, you could send it to me privately or skip sharing altogether if you prefer.

My aquarium experience is only with glass Tetra and Aqueon standard tanks, so no advice from my experience. I would suspect that failure rates on tanks are higher for larger tanks and less likely on a 36" tank.

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Red Sea 300XL over the 250 because of the advertised plywood stand rather than the MDF type materials.

I bought the 300XL with two LED 90s, the Red Sea 300 Skimmer, and a Reef Wave 45. If I could do it again I would get two reef wave 25s instead of the one 45.

So far I love it. Seems like any structural problems that Red Sea had were more related to the longer tanks. I have it running nearly silent (skimmer is not running right now) and it looks great. I did build a hanging canopy around the lights to keep some light bleed from frying my brain while I watch TV.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water box makes great tanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back