37 gallon cube - need advice about types of corals for this newbie!

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on Day #1 of my new tank. Any coral suggestions for me? I‘ve marked up my rock with possible scenarios. I would love any feedback/advice. Thanks!

E2AEBA1A-FC10-4E0F-A701-F905AD99AE34.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is exciting for you im sure and congrats on setup. Tank is new- Go slow. Start with a couple cheapies as a test and to build confidence in moving forward.
You did not mention if LPS or SPS. For either category,:

LPS:

xenia
mushroom
zoa
leathers

SPS:

Stylopora
Candy cane
staghorn
montipora

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exciting for you im sure and congrats on setup. Tank is new- Go slow. Start with a couple cheapies as a test and to build confidence in moving forward.

LPS:

xenia
mushroom
zoa
leathers

SPS:

Stylopora
Candy cane
staghorn
montipora
Thanks for the advice! I went by a LFS today, and they had an AMAZING selection of corals! I’ll definitely start small....when it’s time.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Stock looks pretty good, I might choose something other than a toadstool leather though, they get really large and the shedding may irritate surrounding coral. I'd get the gsp and zoa first.. after those are doing well get the toadstool (or similar), next buy the frogspawn and hammer and last the acropora. I'd recommend trying a more forgiving sps like a pocilipora or stylopora before the acros though in the ??? Spot to see if the tanks ready. usually around 9mos to a year is a normal time to try those things ime.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome!! Stock looks pretty good, I might choose something other than a toadstool leather though, they get really large and the shedding may irritate surrounding coral. I'd get the gsp and zoa first.. after those are doing well get the toadstool (or similar), next buy the frogspawn and hammer and last the acropora. I'd recommend trying a more forgiving sps like a pocilipora or stylopora before the acros though in the ??? Spot to see if the tanks ready. usually around 9mos to a year is a normal time to try those things ime.
Pocci good but i did Not recommend it because it can take over tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gsp and zoas good starter indicator,after seeing good results,duncan imo would be next starting lps,remember to dip all corals,better safe than sorry

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LPS:

xenia
mushroom
zoa
leathers

SPS:

Stylopora
Candy cane
staghorn
montipora
Thanks for your advice!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on Day #1 of my new tank. Any coral suggestions for me? I‘ve marked up my rock with possible scenarios. I would love any feedback/advice. Thanks!

E2AEBA1A-FC10-4E0F-A701-F905AD99AE34.jpeg
I like the aquascape

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I’m on week #5 for my tank. So far, so good. I’ve had some aquascaping changes since I started. I added my clown fish from smaller tank, and they seem much happier. I bought some Zoas and GSP from lfs, and they‘re good too.
I’ll take any suggestions for attaching frags. I’ve had a time with them. Tried gel super glue and epoxy, but they were both so messy. It might also be that tank is deeper than what I want. I’m on my tiptoes or on a chair to reach the bottom.

5B961396-1A29-41CB-ACC4-96E2CF45FD7D.jpeg D70161D2-EF0C-4103-821F-1BF551561A00.jpeg

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe purchase a grabber thing that old people use to place them in the water if it's too deep for you to reach

Screenshot_20200817_105522_com.android.chrome.jpg
Maybe purchase a grabber thing that old people use to place them in the water if it's too deep for you to reach

Screenshot_20200817_105522_com.android.chrome.jpg
Hmmm, I didn’t even think about that. I may need to give it a try.....

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bottom left I would be careful with frogspawn being to close to spas — also as others have stated toadstools can get big and they may cast a showdown over anything around them.

Gsp as you have keep it on an island -

Duncan’s, Acans are good to start with And hammers as well.

I personally would stay away from
Xenia and Kenya tree — spread waaay to easy

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back