37 gallon FOWLR nitrates high

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1 year old 37 gallon FOWLR tank, and the last couple of weeks I have been unable to keep my nitrates at an acceptable level. They are reading around 40 )right after water changes)-80 no matter what I do. I faithfully do water changes once a week (and have done 2 fifteen gallon changes in hopes to reduce nitrates, and all I have in my tank right now is a coral beauty angel, dwarf hawkfish, domino damsel, and 3 snails. I have an HOB filter (which I have an algone packet in there but it isn’t doing anything), a small skimmer, and a power head that agitates the surface. I definitely do not overfeed- I feed once per day and only what they eat within 3-4 mins. I have only been using treated distilled water that I have tested and has absolutely zero of anything in it (after 10 months of using treated tap with no issues and tap has 10 ppm) only thing I haven’t tried is any sort of chemical nitrate reducer and I wanted to post on here before trying any of that. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add a pouch of chemipure blue to sump and it will lower it and keep it in check. Same with phosphate.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back