38G Bowfront - my slice of the ocean

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef!

Thought I would start my tank build thread to document how my tank progresses and to hopefully get any good tips along the way! This is my first ever reef tank and so far it has completely sucked me in. I'll start with the equipment I'm running:

38G bowfront tank (marineland I think)
Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter
Aquamaxx 1.5 Protein Skimmer
2x eFlux 1050 wave makers
eFlux 2100 wave maker
x2 AI Prime 16HD lights

15ish pounds of crushed coral substrate
35ish pounds of dry rock

Here is a full shot of the tank:
1593637813114.png

The tank is now going on 4 months old, cycle is completed and I've got some coral and fish in. I've probably put a little too much in so far but everything seems happy and healthy so I'm going to keep doing my best to keep it that way!

Fish:

1 clown
1 lawnmower blenny
1 yellow tang (before you call the tang police on me, I know the tank is small but I fully plan on upgrading in the next year and a half to give him more space but if I can't I will rehome him)
1 3 striped damsel

Corals:
Worldwide Corals -
WWC red cap monti
WWC green duncan
WWC boogie nights Blastomussa
WWC Orange Plate
WWC Whammin Watermellon zoa
WWC AOI Zoa
WWC Space Queen zoa
WWC CHristmas Favia
WWC Ahhhmazing Echinata
WWC Dragon Soul Goniastrea
WWC Cat's eye Zoa
WWC Bi Color Candy Cane
WWC Chilled Not Frozen Bowerbanki
WWC Bullseye Micromussa
WWC Captian America Favia

LFS Coral -
Utter Chaos Zoa
Hammer (unknown name)
Blastomussa (unknown name) - my first coral in the tank and so far it has doubled!

I'm really hoping that I haven't put too much in and cause a crash but I check parameters at least every 3 days, I haven't had to dose anything yet but I just got some Red Sea AB+ to start adding. I feed the fish 2x a day with LRS reef frenzy nano and a small strip of nori. I am going to try and get pictures of the individual corals for growth tracking and add them to my build thread.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start to your tank and your build thread! You may want to add a build thread banner (which doubles as a link to your thread) so people can find your thread more easily.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Had to move my tank from the main floor to our basement due to an unfortunate sewer pipe accident that happened right next to the tank. Thankfully nothing got on or near the tank, however, during the move I stressed the heck out of my fish and corals. The move took about 3 hours and overall went pretty well, it's been in its new spot for a little over a week and so far the only issue I've noticed is my Hammer coral isn't as open and big as it used to be.

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Hammer coral isn't dying but it still isn't opening up all the way again yet but everything else is still going and growing strong. Still need to get pictures of corals up for growth tracking.

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After speaking with a fellow Reefer here I've decided that I'm going to rehome Coco, my yellow tang because he's getting bigger and I don't want to punish him in a small tank. Going to replace him with a six-line and orchid dottyback.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back