3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive Thread

tiger33vl

View Badges
Reaction score
Well ,i mean not about the model.
I can do model by myself, but i don't know about some features of using this printed part in real work of the skimmer. It may have bad centering and have a beats. Also it can break down due to strong loads from centrifugal forces. Or are my fears in vain?)
And sorry for my english.))

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well ,i mean not about the model.
I can do model by myself, but i don't know about some features of using this printed part in real work of the skimmer. It may have bad centering and have a beats. Also it can break down due to strong loads from centrifugal forces. Or are my fears in vain?)
And sorry for my english.))
I get the impression that is very much possible. I know our user @danlu_gt used to sell 3d printed needle wheels for a conversion kit he sells.
I would definitely give it a try, if it fails it's unlikely to permanently ruin the pump, it would most likely just destroy the printed part and you can try again.

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I get the impression that is very much possible. I know our user @danlu_gt used to sell 3d printed needle wheels for a conversion kit he sells.
I would definitely give it a try, if it fails it's unlikely to permanently ruin the pump, it would most likely just destroy the printed part and you can try again.
I am going to PM you about some files I have and among them is an impeller.

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I made a 3D printed gate valve for Bubble Magus filter roll to allow you to bypass some of the water in order to increase nutrients in water (if your no3 or po4 are too low)

Link to Thread
Thanks RAC! I have them together under the filtration section!

tiger33vl

View Badges
Reaction score
I fink it can ruin the ceramic axis.
I want to experiment with the shape and direction of the needles. Make for example a mesh impeller.

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I made a 3D printed gate valve for Bubble Magus filter roll to allow you to bypass some of the water in order to increase nutrients in water (if your no3 or po4 are too low)

Link to Thread
62988063-6AFF-4055-8060-CF24BC555524.jpeg
Real question, did you also print the thumbscrews? Turns out that they are surprisingly strong.
I designed my SW part so that I can easily change dimensions to get any size I need.

No more spending an arm and a leg for thumbscrews

And any color

Last edited:

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
very cool! I have about 200 of the 1/4-20 screws so I didn’t need to print them. I do model the threads on the parts but also use a tap to fine tune the threads. Nice screws! :)

Real question, did you also print the thumbscrews? Turns out that they are surprisingly strong.
I designed my SW part so that I can easily change dimensions to get any size I need.

No more spending an arm and a leg for thumbscrews

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
very cool! I have about 200 of the 1/4-20 screws so I didn’t need to print them. I do model the threads on the parts but also use a tap to fine tune the threads. Nice screws! :)
Not me, I have to pay a premium.... But I love the part you made, I can see that being a poor mans gate valve on a bean animal overflow....

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
Top Shelf Aquatics

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You mean that if i make the model correctly balance will be normal? But FDM technology of printing have a Large enough tolerances.
Injection molded or fdm, neither would truly be balanced. Manufacturers of needle wheels don't balance each part.

Im not saying that you couldn't over engineer a needle wheel for a 3d printer. You could design different variations of symmetrical needle wheels and all will have varying degrees of balance, I just don't think balance isn't as much of a concern. I'd focus more on getting the right spacing of each "needle" to optimize chopping of bubbles and balance will have to follow.

laverda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a more traditional impeller with mesh using infill in between the vains might work better then a needle wheel impeller. Or perhaps wider vains of open infill if that makes sense. Would be fun to experiment with. Now if I just knew how to create the 3D file I could go to town.

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a more traditional impeller with mesh using infill in between the vains might work better then a needle wheel impeller. Or perhaps wider vains of open infill if that makes sense. Would be fun to experiment with. Now if I just knew how to create the 3D file I could go to town.
That's the beauty of fdm, you can create parts that is extremely complicated or cant be done with traditional injection molding.

3D modeling is the easy part. Having the vision is the hard part. I'm trying to picture what your design idea is. If possible supply some pictures and I can help. And of course if you have a specific pump already in mind, provide some measurements and I can share .stl's until we get it right. Sounds like fun.

Reefer1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
There was a really cool design floating on Facebook of a free-floating nori clip. The gentlemen who designed it is working with a manufacturer for mass production, but he did send out the file for personal use. I am trying to print it out of ABS, as it's pretty thin it's running into some layer adhesion problems for me, didn't spend enough time messing around with it yet.

If anyone is interested, I can share it here.

Complaining about the cost of aquarium equipment when you pay large sums of money for coral & fish..

• is Fair

Votes: 168 50.0%
  • is Not Fair

Votes: 140 41.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 28 8.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!