3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive Thread

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Got my second design uploaded to Thingiverse- printing this one in PLA/PETG doesn't matter. If it winds up in your water, you've got *much* bigger issues!

Combined Angles.JPG

This is my "Leviathan" enclosure for Reef Pi. I've got a link in the summary with printable 4, 8, & 12 outlet versions as well.

~`~

I'm also working on modeling my aquarium tank & stand at the moment. May not be the most "functional" print, but certainly useful for things like canopy/sump design, which is what I'm using it for.

Corals.com
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
PetG is much stickier and stringy than PLA but it's very similar to PLA in that warping is not as big of a hurdle as I found it is with ABS.

I do a lot more post processing on PETG prints compared to PLA so I think it does take a little more work on dialing in the retraction settings for it.

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is everyone off the ABS train? Vapor smoothed parts are so sexy looking. ;Drool;Drool
If the part calls for it I would still use ABS, but where I can use petg instead I will. Less toxic gasses released into print enclosure compared to ABS. I'm often printing nearly continuously but I still have to remove the parts and restart the jobs. Each time is another exposure to any trapped gasses in the build chamber. With proper venting this can be mitigated but unless I need ABS specifically for vapor smoothing I'd rather use a less toxic plastic to print with.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
If the part calls for it I would still use ABS, but where I can use petg instead I will. Less toxic gasses released into print enclosure compared to ABS. I'm often printing nearly continuously but I still have to remove the parts and restart the jobs. Each time is another exposure to any trapped gasses in the build chamber. With proper venting this can be mitigated but unless I need ABS specifically for vapor smoothing I'd rather use a less toxic plastic to print with.
I hear ya, honestly I've never given PETG a go, PLA works great for the basics and anything else I've been making with ABS. My printer is in the garage, no enclosure, I havent noticed issues with warping but I try to only print ABS when its nice and warm out. Bed adhesion is great when its 80-90*f in the garage. :) I'll have to pickup some petg and try it out. My speed/retraction is on point, I can do 60-70mm/s with PLA at .12 without stringing so I'm sure with some tweaking I can tame the PETG.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah my PLA and PLA+ game is dialed in. PETG is work in progress. Bed adhesion has been really good with stick glue, stringing is minimal (tiny fuzzies which I can't seem to get rid of) are still there and go away with some heat gun action, but I still have issues with layer separation/adhesion issues when dealing circular overhang situations (ie countersunk holes for screws, I almost always have some spaghetti in the cut where a layer didn't adhere to the rest of the body.... If that makes sense).

NVCyberPro

View Badges
Reaction score
With all the different things being made and shared in the 3d printing world it can be really hard to find what is even available to us reefers. To help remedy that I thought I'd start an archive thread of all the 3d printed freely available parts I am able to find.

This is only for parts that free to download and print, they do not necessarily allow for Commercial sales of the items though. You need to check the license or contact the creators if you want to sell a printed object they designed unless otherwise stated in the license agreement.

If you have any of your own parts or parts you have found that are free for personal use reply to this thread and I will add them to the list! If you're a part creator who also sells their printed material here on R2R I can link your sale thread with the part. My only request is that it be a part is also free for download to be included in this list.

I have categorized the products available by theme or specific tank or accessory they are for:

Aquarium Controllers:
Biofiltration:
Breeding:

Cleaning:
Cooling:
Decoration/Rocks:
Dosing/top off:
Feeding:
Filtration:
Fragging:
Equipment Mounts:
Heaters:
Lighting:

Logos / Badges:
Overflows:
Powerheads/flow:
Protein Skimmers:
Sensor Mounts:
Sumps:
Misc Equipment mounts:
Testing:
Tools:
Tank specific parts:
Further Resources:

Disclaimer!
I do not own the parts listed in this thread unless my username follows after the part link. These are all files shared freely under the Creative Commons Attribute, or Creative Commons Share-a-like licenses. These licenses allow you print your own copy of the parts linked but do not allow you to sell said parts unless they mention otherwise or give you express permission to do so.
I am not endorsing any of the parts listed either for the suitability to print or use on the aquarium. Print at your own risk! If you do find one of the linked parts is not a good print or worth our time let me know and we can remove it!​
ATO Float Holder
IMG_3517.jpg IMG_3516.jpg

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Got my second design uploaded to Thingiverse- printing this one in PLA/PETG doesn't matter. If it winds up in your water, you've got *much* bigger issues!

Combined Angles.JPG

This is my "Leviathan" enclosure for Reef Pi. I've got a link in the summary with printable 4, 8, & 12 outlet versions as well.

~`~

I'm also working on modeling my aquarium tank & stand at the moment. May not be the most "functional" print, but certainly useful for things like canopy/sump design, which is what I'm using it for.
Hey great addition! I can't wait to jump on the reef-pi train!

3d modeling your tank is a great idea! I think it would be awesome if tank manufactures shared 3d models of their tanks too so we could do mock ups like you described.

I have been playing around my 50g tank modeled for rendering how some products will work.
download_20200426_211021.jpg

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey great addition! I can't wait to jump on the reef-pi train!

3d modeling your tank is a great idea! I think it would be awesome if tank manufactures shared 3d models of their tanks too so we could do mock ups like you described.

I have been playing around my 50g tank modeled for rendering how some products will work.
download_20200426_211021.jpg

That is a rendered model??!! Wow! So when do you start the tutorial series?

Top Shelf Aquatics

NVCyberPro

View Badges
Reaction score
With the Reef-Pi can you control / monitor your tank with using wifi or internet? also how does the reef pi recover from power outages? I am somewhat familiar with Arduino, ESP8266 and ESP32 but no so much the PI except for my Octo-Pi. Thanks

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
With the Reef-Pi can you control / monitor your tank with using wifi or internet? also how does the reef pi recover from power outages? I am somewhat familiar with Arduino, ESP8266 and ESP32 but no so much the PI except for my Octo-Pi. Thanks
Yep, you set it up on your Wi-Fi, then you can control & monitor your tank from just about any device with an internet connection & a browser.

For power outages, it comes right back on a few seconds after power is restored. You can choose to wire your relays normally closed or normally open, so whenever the Pi is down, your equipment will revert to a default state. So, for my setup, I have things like return pumps & heaters normally closed- so they get power back immediately. But for things like an ATO pump I wouldn't want to power in an uncontrolled fashion, I have that relay normally open.

It works exactly like Octo-Pi does as far as access & use. It's just running on your Pi constantly.

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Haha, thank you in all seriousness the infamous blender donut tutorial series taught me how to do glassware. I have always loved 3d renders but I have never been able to make anything worth looking at until I found that tutorial series! Blender is free open source software and you can bring any of these 3d models into it and get some nearly photorealistic renders with enough practice!

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Haha, thank you in all seriousness the infamous blender donut tutorial series taught me how to do glassware. I have always loved 3d renders but I have never been able to make anything worth looking at until I found that tutorial series! Blender is free open source software and you can bring any of these 3d models into it and get some nearly photorealistic renders with enough practice!

Ahhhh Blender. No thanks, every time I have looked a Blender my brain tries to explode, has to be the worst UI ever created.

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ahhhh Blender. No thanks, every time I have looked a Blender my brain tries to explode, has to be the worst UI ever created.
Yeah the UI was terrible, the only way I was able to try again was blender 2.8 has added entirely new UI which is considerably improved.

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Super Cool Thread.
Just got a Ender 3 Pro few days ago (first 3D printer Ever), this is Exactly What I was looking for.
Awesome! I think the ender3 is a great first printer choice! It should last you many years with proper maintenance.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Awesome! I think the ender3 is a great first printer choice! It should last you many years with proper maintenance.
Well I'm learning. Messed up a bunch of stuff. Bought PETG filament and I think I shoud have started with PLA.
I got a used Upgraded Ender-3 PRO Printer from a Store (with 1 Yr Warranty) and they never told me the Nozzle was changed from 0.4mm to 0.8mm. Since they were using it for High Speed printing to make Face Masks for COVID-19 times.
It also has a Micro Swiss Direct Extruder, and a Creatlity Glass Bed (Magentic bed removed).
This is what I have.
2020-05-18_Ender3Pro-MicroSwissExtruder.jpg

But there is SOOOOO much to Learn.
Some print are coming out (When I reduce the Fan Speed). At first the Layers were not sticking together (PETG)
Waiting for a 0.4mm Nozzle from Store in mail. I think the Details will improve once I get the smaller nozzle.

Any TIPS if you know anything about Enders. I watched more YouTube in last few days than Last 3 years.
Should I install TL Smoothers these into the Ender?

( Guess, I should rewind and read this whole thread)

I don't know much about Slicers. Playing with Cura.
I want to do some Custom Cad Work but never used Cad except for Google SketchIT for Non 3D-print stuff.

I did get OtcoPrint working since I had a spare RaspBerry Pi. Nice but not sure I need it.
I did look into KLIPPER, but backed off, since I don't want to change the Ender Firmware till warranty expires. (and I worry I'll mess up the whole printer Calibration the Store did)

I'm an Electronic Software Engineer, but 3D printing is a Fine Art and Science. Seems that it takes lots of practice.

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would hold off on adding anything else for now.

Biggest things, IMHO, in order of importance: double check your printer frame to see if it's square from the assembly (it hopefully is) then level your bed!!!, get your esteps calibrated (this may be different for direct extruder so I would double check) on stock my ender was under extruding, get your flow calibrated (mine was good). Once those 3 are done, do temp tower for the filament you're going to use to get your best temperature range. Once that's done you can start playing with dialing in retraction. After that, it's all about slicer settings.

I know it sounds like a lot and it sorta is, but most of that stuff, once you get it dialed in it shouldn't need messing with unless you change extruder, or filament. Bed may need releveling now and again, but you can get stiffer springs or better yet, silicone spacers to replace springs entirely...so yeah I lied when I said hold off on adding stuff, get springs or spacers if yours are still stock.

Once you get more comfortable, I'd look into a new board, something like and SKR Mini E3; compared to the creality silent board... it's cheaper, has better drivers, is 32 bit, and has direct plugs for Bltouch and some other add-ons for later. Lastly, Bltouch... It's about a 50/50 split; half will say you don't need it, others will say it's the best money they've spent on the ender. I have one on my E3 and haven't looked back. Custom firmware (merlin) isn't super complicated either but that's for another day.

I probably used up close to two spools of filament before I really started to get the hang of things. PETG is a pain for newbies because it's a different beast from PLA which is super forgivable, don't get discouraged. For PETG I wouldn't using past 25-30 percent and completely turn it off for the first few layers. Print slow, 50-70mm/s max.

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 134 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 164 54.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Shelf Aquatics