3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive Thread

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, those are great upgrades it came with--but that nozzle size would definitely be issue without knowing it's twice the usual size. That said I would definitely keep that nozzle around, it will greatly speed up prints that don't require small details like a figurine.
I think the learning curve is a little steeper for you with all those upgrades being pre-installed but they are fantastic upgrades once they are all dialed in. On that note do make sure you use the reccomended retraction settings for the all metal hot end. I have the same upgrade but for a different model of printer and it changed my retraction distance from 2mm stock to now 0.8mm or less for the all metal upgrade on my printer. (Too far of retraction distance on the all metal hotends results in melted filament too far up and clogs the print head) The ender all metal upgrade may require different retraction distance than mine though and there is some variation between filaments. Fortunately there are tons of retraction test prints available online.

I also love using octoprint, but I keep my printer in a detached garage so it's nice to be able to preheat the bed and nozzle before I head out to start a print. Also the webcam is great to verify I haven't run into any issues during the print while I'm sitting on the couch or computer inside the house. Filament manager is a great plugin too, it will allow you to inventory your filament and automatically deduct each prints estimated use from the rolls remaining filament. This is great for knowing if you have enough left on a nearly empty roll.

Klipper sounds awesome but I don't have any experience with it.

Cura is a great slicer but I also reccomend checking out prusaslicer. It should come with a profile for the ender 3 you will need to update with your printers customizations (nozzle width and retraction).

Mega Meltdown After Sale

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, those are great upgrades it came with--but that nozzle size would definitely be issue without knowing it's twice the usual size. That said I would definitely keep that nozzle around, it will greatly speed up prints that don't require small details like a figurine.
I think the learning curve is a little steeper for you with all those upgrades being pre-installed but they are fantastic upgrades once they are all dialed in. On that note do make sure you use the reccomended retraction settings for the all metal hot end. I have the same upgrade but for a different model of printer and it changed my retraction distance from 2mm stock to now 0.8mm or less for the all metal upgrade on my printer. (Too far of retraction distance on the all metal hotends results in melted filament too far up and clogs the print head) The ender all metal upgrade may require different retraction distance than mine though and there is some variation between filaments. Fortunately there are tons of retraction test prints available online.

I also love using octoprint, but I keep my printer in a detached garage so it's nice to be able to preheat the bed and nozzle before I head out to start a print. Also the webcam is great to verify I haven't run into any issues during the print while I'm sitting on the couch or computer inside the house. Filament manager is a great plugin too, it will allow you to inventory your filament and automatically deduct each prints estimated use from the rolls remaining filament. This is great for knowing if you have enough left on a nearly empty roll.

Klipper sounds awesome but I don't have any experience with it.

Cura is a great slicer but I also reccomend checking out prusaslicer. It should come with a profile for the ender 3 you will need to update with your printers customizations (nozzle width and retraction).
I feel Like I'm drinking from a Fire Hose with all this learning.

One comment. All the upgrades were done by the 3D Print Shop. By Pro's (I dare not change anything)
I worried it might be an old printer, but they told me to check the Sticker on the LCD. It Shows Jan 2020. So pretty NEW.

They also upgraded the springs you mentioned.

As far as extraction, retraction which I know nothing about. That Shop set that up. They used it for a few months to do First Line Responder Masks. So it's all tuned. Except for that Nozzle mistake.

My PLA filament will arrive today. 0.4mm Nozzle Monday (I'll call the shop if I need to change any setting if I swap back)

I know Raspberry Pi's and Adiuno Controllers in-side-out. So doing Klipper would be nothing, except for the Tuning. And there is a video on how to setup Klipper on the Ender3. (Don't need it yet)

But Klipper seems a easy way to get the same as a new 32bit Board, but using a Cheap RaspPi.

THe BL touch is something down the road. But if understand things right. Once you have level it stay level for a while. A Glass bed is Flat, so no worries about a warpe bed. ( I did check my ender, Bed Under Glass is perfectly Flat)

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
I think the learning curve is a little steeper for you with all those upgrades being pre-installed but they are fantastic upgrades once they are all dialed in. On that note do make sure you use the reccomended retraction settings for the all metal hot end.
Is that in CURA or the Firmware? (WHen I called, the said change Retration Distance down to 3mm) for the exact reason you mention.
I wish the Shop Sent me a Profile for Cura (specifically for the MicroSwiss Direct Extruder)...
I did read that the Micro Swiss is pretty much a Direct Swap on the Ender 3
Why am I guessing all this stuff. (I didn't upgrade the Ender...They did.t)
I'll ask them for a profile that they used.

AND THANKS for Confirming the Upgraded Ender I got is Good.
I paid almost same price and an Ender3-Pro from China, but they built it, and did the upgrades.
So I now feel it was a deal. I was lucky. When I called to grab it, they told me 3 others called right after I paid.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Just purchased that auto leveler and wow, such a difference

just installed it this past weekend
I've been considering getting a Bl-Touch. What is the difference? Easy and Automatic?
I just got and Ender-3 and I leveled it once. Printed a few times, and doesn't need re-leveling.
Do 3D printers need re-leveling a lot?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a Bl-Touch. What is the difference? Easy and Automatic?
I just got and Ender-3 and I leveled it once. Printed a few times, and doesn't need re-leveling.
Good question, I'm not sure. I got the bltouch after a few weeks of owning ender 3. Haven't touched my springs since, about two months now.

SammieT

View Badges
Reaction score
Good question, I'm not sure. I got the bltouch after a few weeks of owning ender 3. Haven't touched my springs since, about two months now.

exactly what he said

i have kids that keep touching my bed or end up putting something on it so it was always off.

I've never noticed how bad my prints were until i installed the leveler
everything is auto

i can say it was a hassle trying to install this, but in the end, it was completely worth it

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
You were not kidding.
The proper 0.4mm nozzle arrived today.

I installed it, and it's LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. I knew as soon as the nozzle started the first line.

2020-05-25_Ender3Nozzle0.4mmFix.jpg

Of course, I'm also learning a bit more about printing. (ie Fan, Retraction, Temp and Speeds)

But what as Nigtmare not know about the larger Nozzle. It really discouraged me.

Now I'm happy getting the ENDER.

Waiting for the PLA filament, to try that next.

Last edited:

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
I designed this fan mount for my tank. I use it instead of a chiller to keep my tank cool in the summer. Thanks to the magic of evaporative cooling, you can actually cool water this way up to 4-5 degrees below ambient temperature! I made it pretty basic, but if there's interest I'll clean up the model and post to thingiverse.

20200508_175653.jpg

20200508_175655.jpg

Have it connected to my Apex. First curve is the day before I hooked it up. Second is the next day. Clicked on three times and kept the tank under 81!

Screenshot_20200509-111724~2.png

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
I designed this fan mount for my tank. I use it instead of a chiller to keep my tank cool in the summer. Thanks to the magic of evaporative cooling, you can actually cool water this way up to 4-5 degrees below ambient temperature! I made it pretty basic, but if there's interest I'll clean up the model and post to thingiverse.

20200508_175653.jpg

20200508_175655.jpg

Have it connected to my Apex. First curve is the day before I hooked it up. Second is the next day. Clicked on three times and kept the tank under 81!

Screenshot_20200509-111724~2.png
Nice design.

Does it blown down on top of tank water or up?

How big is the tank?

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
That blower is awesome! I actually spent yesterday also designing and printing a cooling fan for my tank. I guess that heat wave that blew away the last of winter is causing the same issues everywhere.

I really wanted something sump mounted to keep my DT as clean as possible. As much as I love my Skimz sump, there was nowhere I could place any of the designs other folks have made. I came up with this little bracket that mounts to the integrated drain fitting using the same nylon screws. This is just a first version for now, later on I'm gonna make it a dual-fan design that spans the full width of the sump and add some baffles to hopefully keep salt spray off the fans.

Capture.PNG IMG_20200525_204853.jpg

justclowninaround

View Badges
Reaction score
COVID tank build had me printing as many parts as I could instead of waiting on things to ship. Slight modification of random flow generator equaled these monsters. Interface directly with 1 in. return bulkhead. Might be a little big but I didn't have to mess with any adapters.

Thingiverse Link:

IMG_9855.jpg IMG_9858.jpg IMG_9859.jpg

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score

Please do! Also, whats the default glass thickness you made it for? Thanks,

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going through my fusion 360 folder and getting everything uploaded to prusaprinters archive. Here's a light shade someone specifically requested for the Fluval Marine Nano LED light. Like the rest of my light shades it has a small lip that keeps it on the light. I will also have these available for sale on my eelrivercoral.com website for those who would like to order them preassembled.

Fluval Marine Nano Light Shade - rounded v2 v4.png

NVCyberPro

View Badges
Reaction score
exactly what he said

i have kids that keep touching my bed or end up putting something on it so it was always off.

I've never noticed how bad my prints were until i installed the leveler
everything is auto

i can say it was a hassle trying to install this, but in the end, it was completely worth it
I put a bltouch on my ender 3 and it works great when it works. It does a nine point level but freaks out from time to time and won’t complete the level, so I have to revert to a manual level.

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 80 22.3%
  • No

Votes: 133 37.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 136 38.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Tired of expensive frozen foods and freezer burn?