• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive Thread

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Here's my "mini-flow box"!

1598276674780.png
20200815_123433.jpg

I wanted to put a Herbie drain system together, but didn't want to buy an actual overflow box. They're pretty expensive for what they are & take up too much room in my opinion.

The 3D model there was my prototype, modified it to be straight edge based on some advice I got here about it being better for surface skimming.

It slides on really tightly to 1" PVC making a watertight seal. So now when I turn off my return pump, I only get about 2 gallons drained into my sump, even thought the drain inlet is about 8 inches below the water line.

I'll edit this post later with a link to the Thingiverse file once I get it uploaded!

OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nice work @Schreiber ! I have been doing the same for freshwater tanks, overflow skimmers can be pretty pricey!

I have to admit having the drain tube so far down is a little a scary to me! You might consider welding it to the PVC pipe if you printed the overflow in ABS. There are PVC+ABS solvents readily available at the hardware store that would let you bond the two permanently when you have finalized the design. They are next to the regular PVC glue and used for joining sewer ABS pipes to PVC

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
I have to admit having the drain tube so far down is a little a scary to me! You might consider welding it to the PVC pipe if you printed the overflow in ABS. There are PVC+ABS solvents readily available at the hardware store that would let you bond the two permanently when you have finalized the design. They are next to the regular PVC glue and used for joining sewer ABS pipes to PVC
I'm not super worried about it based on how tight the fit is. It's a much more secure fit than even actual PVC fittings. I was afraid I was going to have to re-design it because I couldn't get it on the PVC at first, but after a lot of effort, I was able to get it to pop on. I'm honestly not even sure I could take it back off to glue it if I tried, lol.

In the past, I've used unglued PVC & fittings for my plumbing with no leaks. I decided to glue my stuff outside the tank & use unions this time, but I trust the box. It's PETG, not ABS, so I'm nut sure I could get a great glue seal anyway. If I ever start to see any indication there could even be a small leak though, I'll just drain it to that level & use silicone to seal along the bottom.

fsamir

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi folks,
another contribution, this time it is a simple float switch holder for PVC pipes, to help build DIY ATOs.
Auto RODI v6.png

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

KStatefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Those look amazing! Love the zip tie integration!

Can not take credit for that idea. Prusa does something similar on their printers.

I tried to put it on Thingiverse not sure I did it right.

Last edited:

TheGerm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can not take credit for that idea. Prusa does something similar on their printers.

I tried to put on Thingiverse not sure I did it right.

Looks good to me. If you could/are willing, add the 3d (f3m, step, etc...) file to the thingiverse for easier remixes ;).

Corals.com

spideybry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So this is one of the simpler things I've made. I also have a splash guard/protector for my Vortech MP10 but it restricts flow a big too much.

Innovative Marine Nuvo 30EXT Overflow Lid -

This was one of the test prints - (the words aren't on the STL lol)
IMG_9695.JPG
IMG_9696.JPG

In case anyone wants this splash and sand guard, here is what it looks like :
1598980546910.png
1598980565143.png

IMG_9697.PNG

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Here's a unique one off that most wont be able to incorporate however a handful might benefit.

This is to combat the inorganic sediment that settles at the bottom of the saltwater mixing station. With the goal to cot down on the laborsome maintenance, this should cut down on the amount of times I have to completely drain and clean out my saltwater mixing bin.

It's a holder for the 4" BRS filter socks, that will glide onto 3/4" plumbing and filter the water as it circulates.

To make it easy to remove/replace the filter, the unit slides on the 3/4" pipe to give untethered access to the sock.

To drive home the idea, here's a video. Keep in mind that the water level in my container isn't normally this high, I added too much salt to this mix and had to add more water to dilute.

and here's the thingiverse stl

Red_Beard

View Badges
Reaction score
Had to refill my BRS refillable DI cartridge and figured there had to be a better way. Designed up a funnel and a packing tool. it works great in the neck of the cartridge but deeper down if you push too hard it forces some of the resin beads up and around edge. I found that giving it a few sharp whacks works better than constant pressure to pack it tight. Hope this helps!

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 242 42.5%
  • Every Month

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 69 12.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 82 14.4%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 60 10.5%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 29 5.1%