3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive Thread

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
So I had an epic fail with my 1st PETG print last night. None of the slice layers it here to each other. I never went back into the computer program and change settings. I was doing it all in the Ender and it did not turn out good. I will try again when I get home from work. Watched a few videos this morning saying bed temperature of 50 Lift and nozzle temperature at 240 to start.
I print with PETG and I have an Ender3 and Maker Select v2. I would check the print bed temp (I print at 80c for PETG and 240 at the nozzle with Overture PETG on my Ender).

Also check your slicer settings. Which slicer are you using? (Sorry if you have stated this already I jumped to the end of the posts)

Happy to help with 3D printing stuff, been doing it for a long time. Just call me out so I get a notification :).

side note: people with Ender3, have you seen the new ‘silent’ motherboard? $35 on Amazon. It is literally dead silent with those new drivers. All I hear are the fans running. Just thought I would throw that out there. It’s not a needed ‘upgrade’, but I had a capacitor blow on the E motor with the original board.

captrichc

View Badges
Reaction score
I print with PETG and I have an Ender3 and Maker Select v2. I would check the print bed temp (I print at 80c for PETG and 240 at the nozzle with Overture PETG on my Ender).

Also check your slicer settings. Which slicer are you using? (Sorry if you have stated this already I jumped to the end of the posts)

Happy to help with 3D printing stuff, been doing it for a long time. Just call me out so I get a notification :).

side note: people with Ender3, have you seen the new ‘silent’ motherboard? $35 on Amazon. It is literally dead silent with those new drivers. All I hear are the fans running. Just thought I would throw that out there. It’s not a needed ‘upgrade’, but I had a capacitor blow on the E motor with the original board.
So I figured out what I did wrong. Since I'm extremely new to 3d printing. I did not change the profile on the file. All I did was change the filament. I didnt know any better. But I have been printing much better lately. I will definitely look into those setting of 240/80 with PETG.
ALSO thanks for the offer to help it's much appreciated.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
So I figured out what I did wrong. Since I'm extremely new to 3d printing. I did not change the profile on the file. All I did was change the filament. I didnt know any better. But I have been printing much better lately. I will definitely look into those setting of 240/80 with PETG.
ALSO thanks for the offer to help it's much appreciated.
so I thought about this after I replied, check the fan settings and extrusion rate, since you are having layer issues. I run my fans at 10% with PETG and they do not start until the second layer. Extrusion is something that needs to be tested to fit your exact printer.

thought I would add this note just in case, as I forgot to add that in my last reply (for anyone else that reads this in the future).

captrichc

View Badges
Reaction score
so I thought about this after I replied, check the fan settings and extrusion rate, since you are having layer issues. I run my fans at 10% with PETG and they do not start until the second layer. Extrusion is something that needs to be tested to fit your exact printer.

thought I would add this note just in case, as I forgot to add that in my last reply (for anyone else that reads this in the future).
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try again today with the PETG filament.

captrichc

View Badges
Reaction score
ok how can I share the 1" loc line file I used today. it is vertical and printed really nice. I used PETG at 235/80. with fan speed at 10% like stated earlier. had a little bit of stringing inside but nothing to complain about in my opinion.

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
ok how can I share the 1" loc line file I used today. it is vertical and printed really nice. I used PETG at 235/80. with fan speed at 10% like stated earlier. had a little bit of stringing inside but nothing to complain about in my opinion.
If you are sharing a design, its easiest to upload it to Thingiverse and then link the file here.

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It's not my design. I just modified it to be vertical and set it for PETG. does that count?
In general, I don’t think most people would bother sharing that. You can rotate objects in 1 click in your slicer; and everyone has different printers (which require different filament profiles).

captrichc

View Badges
Reaction score
In general, I don’t think most people would bother sharing that. You can rotate objects in 1 click in your slicer; and everyone has different printers (which require different filament profiles).
Ok. Was just trying to be helpful lol

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score

Larry L

View Badges
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if this is normal extruder behavior?
Agree looks like it is having trouble pushing filament through, so something is clogged downstream. Usually it's a clogged nozzle, or the nozzle temp is too low to melt the filament enough, or if you are printing the first layer maybe the nozzle is jammed down onto the print bed.

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
I need to tinkercad that razor blade holder to use a credit card. I need some extra reach for scraping up next to silicone and am too nervous of using a real razor.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Should the ender 3 be able to print PETG with what it comes with?

I did upgrade the extruder, but I think did it correctly so I don't think that's the issue.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these settings? Do these settings override the settings on the ender? As far as temp and stuff?

Trying to print this to get an idea.

1575431603740.png

1575431614025.png

1575431843131.png

1575431854350.png

1575431862267.png

1575431873640.png

1575431881642.png

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these settings? Do these settings override the settings on the ender? As far as temp and stuff?

Trying to print this to get an idea.

1575431603740.png

1575431614025.png

1575431843131.png

1575431854350.png

1575431862267.png

1575431873640.png

1575431881642.png
sorry for the slight delay, work travel...

to answer this question, anything “updated” in your slicer settings will be put into your gcode file and will override the printer settings (during print).

as for the mentioned clicking or jamming, from my phone all I could see was a picture and no link so I cannot hear or see anything. Based on the all other replies, I would check your bed level (might be too close to the bed and it’s not allowing the filament to extrude), clean the hot end (might be clogged as others have noted), or replace the nozzle with another mk8 0.4 nozzle (packs of 30 on amazon for $5-7).

if you lift the z axis and you can push filament through. If there are no issues with that, it’s probably not a clog, but ya never know.

I use a standard paper biz card or sometimes normal printer paper to level my bed. I test multiple locations and look for a ever-so-slight ‘resistance’. It should not pinch the paper.

I would also look up Toms Guide on calibrating your printer prior to printing the stress test. Calibrate with measurements prior to printing, you will have a better time printing and have an edge up on printing success.

this has nothing to do with the feed, but lower the cooling percentage to 10% for PETG. I have found 50% to be too high for PETG (my experience with Overturn Filament).

when I get home (this weekend) I will put up my PETG Cura profile here for my Ender3. you will be able to import it and have all of my settings. The only thing that will be the different will be the physical printer and components. (Just remind me if I forget)

OP
ludnix

ludnix

View Badges
Reaction score
I need to tinkercad that razor blade holder to use a credit card. I need some extra reach for scraping up next to silicone and am too nervous of using a real razor.
That's is a great idea, using a credit card will make it safe for acrylic tanks too.

How often do have to clean your aquarium glass?

• Every Day

Votes: 76 10.1%
  • A few Days a Week

Votes: 223 29.6%
  • A Couple Days a Week

Votes: 220 29.2%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 181 24.0%
  • Every 10 or so Days

Votes: 45 6.0%
  • Every Couple of Weeks

Votes: 34 4.5%