3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Amazon Basics PETA filament any good?
Hm. PetG? PLA?

If there is a PETA, it's news to me...

I've used several Amazon Basics filament types: PLA, PetG, and ABS, all worked fine, I suppose. The Amazon Basics stuff has given me problems tangling up... gets crossed up coming off the reel. If you look at how it's rolled, compared to the higher quality brands, you can see the difference.

Try Hatchbox. IMHO, it's worth the extra buck or two.

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. PetG? PLA?

If there is a PETA, it's news to me...

I've used several Amazon Basics filament types: PLA, PetG, and ABS, all worked fine, I suppose. The Amazon Basics stuff has given me problems tangling up... gets crossed up coming off the reel. If you look at how it's rolled, compared to the higher quality brands, you can see the difference.

Try Hatchbox. IMHO, it's worth the extra buck or two.
Sorry typo
23B65BE9-818B-40F7-B8F6-F28C0A44C5B1.png

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how many prints do you get out of a spool?
Depends on the print. It's a 1:1 ratio on weight, with a little waste, I suppose.

When you print an object that weighs 8 ounces, it's going to use 8 ounces of material.

The slicer I use (printer software) shows me the expected time required, as well as the expected amount of filament, in meters.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Printer software???
I'm assuming you're new to the 3D printing world...

You start with a 3d model from a design program of some sort. I use Fusion 360, there are many. That model is a representation of a physical object. There's lots of information your printer needs to know that the 3D object can't tell you. It's a solid object.... what's inside of it? What temp does the material need to melt properly? What speed, retraction, et al... there is a fairly large amount of data a 3D printer needs in order to 'print' a model.

That information is generated by an application called a slicer. A slicer produces a gcode file for YOUR printer, the type of filament you're using, you desired heat and speed settings, internal fill pattern and density... all kinds of info. You send that gcode file to your printer, and the printer can produce the item.

I use either Cura or Prusa, depending on what I'm doing, and what printer I'm doing it for. There are dozens of slicers around.

Best way I know of is to jump in and find out... Get a printer, and run with it! If I had it to do over, I'd have bought a Prusa Mini+ right up front, but lots of folks don't want to spend $400. CReality Ender 3 is an inexpensive place to start. That's what I started with. I'm a fan of Delta printers for certain things, the FLSun Q5 is a reasonable place to start on that side of things.

reef-newbie-11305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that's quite a lot of good info to know and take in for me as a newbie to 3d printing. thank you for the info, will probably have more questions coming.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is AWESOME. Thank you so much OP. I've designed a few things myself but not nearly as creative as the brains on R2R. I'm happy to print something if anyone has anything they want printed!

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the mounting piece for the FMM module from Neptune Apex. Unfortunately I lost it and can't find the exact dimension of it.

Here is one that I made. It's not perfect as I did not have one to model from and had to design it based on a photo. The angle is a little off and it could be a bit wider but it works fine.

Attachments

• Apex Bracket.zip
    18 KB · Views: 128

Yath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one that I made. It's not perfect as I did not have one to model from and had to design it based on a photo. The angle is a little off and it could be a bit wider but it works fine.
Oh Wow! thank you, will try it.

Back