• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3D printed fish and invert guard for AI Nero 5

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed this guard after seeing reports of fish death and damage. I can print these in Reef Safe black ABS. Shipping from Canada is a bit expensive but ideally it's $20 USD for one shipped to the US, and $5 USD for each additional guard.

PM me if you are interested!
20190804_131509.jpeg
20190804_131518.jpeg
20190804_131553.jpeg

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up I absolutely cannot keep up with demand at this point, my printer is going 24/7 and I simply can't make them any faster.

I'm going to need to raise the price per unit to $8.50 USD just to cover my time and effort packing and shipping these plus looping in a few friends with printers to get back orders filled and paying them for their printer time.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to say that I've partnered with a US retail site to help support the demand and streamline the shipping for these.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we still order from you or have to wait?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture on Melevsreef shows slanted openings, did you change the design?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the guard from Melevsreef today and it was a perfect fit and rests right against the glass. It appears that the strength of the flow from the Nero 5 is slightly diminished but overall it is still more than sufficient.

I only wish that this had been available before I lost my beautiful Canary Blenny. But at the end of the day if people didn't post their complaints and bring this issue to everyone's attention we would not have had a member like TheKingInYellow come to our assistance . Thank you again for all of your efforts on our behalf!!! :)

IMG_0394.jpeg

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS, I really like your new design! ;)

Thanks! I think it looks FASTER.

I do wish I had access to a flow meter to see if there is a loss of flow with the guard, but like most people I'm not running my pumps at 100% anyhow.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad to report that this design is still not foolproof, my Foxface managed to slide behind it and I'm not sure he's going to pull through :/
Oh now. Howd that happen. I actually just ordered my second guard bc I just got a second Nero. I still dont understand how fish get sucked in... I really feel like they have to be sick or weak. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. But still not taking the chance bc I did gr the guards and when I got a second one I wont install it until the guard is here for it.

Sorry to hear about your fox face.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh now. Howd that happen. I actually just ordered my second guard bc I just got a second Nero. I still dont understand how fish get sucked in... I really feel like they have to be sick or weak. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. But still not taking the chance bc I did gr the guards and when I got a second one I wont install it until the guard is here for it.

Sorry to hear about your fox face.

No idea he was fine this morning. I think he may have been picking at the guard when the pump was in random mode and the sudden suction snagged him.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that's terrible. Was the guard not flat against the glass?

It was but he may have pulled it. This was an issue during the design, if it was 100% snug the pump couldn't angle.

I still think it's better than without the guard, I know it's saved my snails, but a fish can still move it.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I got mine at an angle and still.have it flush against the glass. I had to set it up out of the water then put it into the magnet after.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back