• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3d Printed Light Shades - XR30, XR15, AI Prime, AI Hydra, Aquaknight, Fluval, and more!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydra 64 and Prime light shades - photo by @reefer_nyc

I am making this consolidated thread for my 3d printed aquarium light shades as I now offer them for many brands and models of LED aquarium lights.

Why use a light shade?
If you don't have an enclosed canopy and use a modern LED light fixture you probably are already familiar with the light glare you get from their wide angle lenses, especially when viewing the aquarium the seated position. These light shades block that light spill, but don't impede any of the light going down into the aquarium, this prevents any reduction in PAR or diffraction of the light. If the light fixture has active cooling via a fan than I have designed corresponding ventilation holes to allow airflow to continue unimpeded.

What models of fixtures are they available for?

Radion XR30 Light Shade
$49.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 5 Pro
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 5 Blue
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 4
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 3
Compatible with Radion Diffuser upgrade!
Radion XR15 Light Shade
$39.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 5
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 4
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 3
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 2
AI Prime Light Shade
$24.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Prime 16HD Reef
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Freshwater
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Refuge
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Sol
AI Hydra 32 Light Shade
$29.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 26HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 26 (non-HD)
AI Hydra 64 Light Shade
$39.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Hydra 64HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 52HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 (non-HD)

Fluval Marine Nano
ReefBreeders Aquaknight V2 light shade
RedSea ReefLED90 light shade
Kessil H160 refugium Light Shade

• Thick PETG Plastic to resist heat
  • Nylon adjustment screws included
  • Adjustable height positioning to perfect your active area of illumination.

Have a different fixture not listed and want one made? PM ME!

You can hear feedback and reviews from some of my previous threads:

All of these 3d prints are designed by myself and available for download for personal use if you have your own printer. They are not allowed to be shared commercially but I am happy to send STL files to anyone who wants to print their own. PM me or find their listings in the 3d printed file archive thread in my signature.

Ready to order? Send me a private message or post here!
Free priority mail shipping for US only, additional charges apply for international orders. International will still receive a shipping discount credit for the amount of $10, though local duties, import taxes, etc may still apply depending on your country.

Need your shade a custom length? Just let me know and I'll adjust the model for free. XR-15 with extended 5" shade pictured below.

Last edited:

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need one of these for my AI Prime FUGE light. Light spills into other chambers of the sump causing algae growth in my skimmer. Can the FUGE light be made to be a bit longer? Similar to the kessil light shade thread in this forum

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SoAg Reefer! The lengths are all customizable for the same price, just let me know what you want the total length of the shade to be including the height of the prime. The maximum shade length is 7".

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SoAg Reefer! The lengths are all customizable for the same price, just let me know what you want the total length of the shade to be including the height of the prime. The maximum shade length is 7".

Awesome. I'll take one 5" long. Prime is adjustable so I will adjust the flex arm accordingly. pm me the details and Ill send you payment this morning. Thanks!

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested in one, but I am concerned it will reduce the spread to the outer edges of the tank. Any readings on this?

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested in one, but I am concerned it will reduce the spread to the outer edges of the tank. Any readings on this?
I shared the same concern when I originally designed it so I used a paper mock up to get measurements of where it would cause the light fall off to be on my glass. My tank was a 24x24 cube tank with the stock AI flex arm and AI Hydra 26. If you were to run the light very close to the water you would want to get the shade length reduced and if run higher the shade lengthened.

You can use a tape measure by holding it downward against the front of the light and lower it until the bottom of the tape measure casts the shadow where you want the light to end. Measure what the tape measure says at the bottom edge of your light fixture. Using that length you can get it customized for your exact situation. Each side can be a different length if desired though it makes it look a little funky.

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know. I run my light at the BRS recommended 14” from the surface. I have a 20” cube so it should not cast a big shadow

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the standard length of the shade? I am referring to the length starting at the bottom of the light, not including the part attached to the light

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the standard length of the shade? I am referring to the length starting at the bottom of the light, not including the part attached to the light
On the hydras it's approximately 2.5" past the bottom edge of the light, the other brands are pretty close to that as well but may vary with the different thicknesses of the light fixtures. Overall height of the shade is 100mm, just shy of 4".

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a light shade, but no one is currently making a Flow Director for a Red Sea ReefWave 45. Maybe something to consider.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back