• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3d Printed Light Shades - XR30, XR15, AI Prime, AI Hydra, Aquaknight, Fluval, and more!

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a light shade, but no one is currently making a Flow Director for a Red Sea ReefWave 45. Maybe something to consider.

Thanks for the tip! I think this actually might be a better project for @lakai if they are interested, they just submitted an excellent flow director for the Gyre to the 3d print archive and the pumps are similar in design.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Eric(Ludnix) and I have been PM'ing back and forth and decided to make a prototype shade for my Kessil H160 fuge light. He made the shade flare out into a square at the bottom and the round top part is larger around than the light itself and uses Nylon thumb screws to attach to the light fixture.

Once made he packaged it up, very nicely I might add, and I received it a few days ago. The shade was easy to attach and adjust to my light and it works FANTASTIC! I was able to adjust it vertically on the light fixture to get just the right amount of light shining only into the fuge section of my sump. Now I won't have to worry about algae growing in the other sections of my sump and on my skimmer. The light and shade are not getting hot at all, it's just slightly warm to the touch and the Nylon thumb screws will easily withstand much hotter temps than I'm getting with my setup. Over sizing the shade top that attaches to the light fixture allows any heat from your light to just rise up and away from the shade/fixture.

Bravo Eric, this shade is worth every penny! One nice effect I didn't expect is that the shade has cut down on the light spilling out from my stand too. Previously I had light blasting out from all the small cracks around the doors and out the back of the stand, it looked like I had a light cannon in there and it was pretty distracting in the evening. This shade cut down on probably about 60-70% of that!! NICE.

I am attaching a few photos of the shade, please don't give me any lip about my dirty looking fuge with wires running willy nilly! lol.
First pic is the shade right out of the box, nicely made, sturdy and fits my light perfectly.
Second pic is of the shade attached to the Kessil H160 refugium light.
Third and final pic is with the light on showing how it keeps the light in your refugium and out of your other chambers.

Thanks again Eric, love the shade!!

IMG_6888.jpg IMG_6889.jpg IMG_6890.jpg

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ludnix The pleasure was all mine, love the shade! Algae already dying off on my skimmer/heater in the other compartment so it's working wonderfully. Thanks again Eric!!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love one for my h80 fuge light the over spill is crazy

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@um_fan5 provided these great shots that demonstrate the Kessil H160 light shade's use. The reduction of light spill on the skimmer is going to help cut down on algae growth a lot!

ERC_kessil_h160_light_shade_with_and_without.jpg
So after a few days now...the shade works great.
It has definitely cut down on the algea growth around the skimmer and the sump!
Usually had to take a brush every few days to clean around the sump...my OCD trying to keep everything clean!
Now it's mostly just in the refug!

Thanks @ludnix

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to buy a shade for my Ai Prime Fuge light but have no idea what size to get. I suppose a standard size would be fine. Thanks.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Sent! For anyone interested, I would be happy to exchange it if you find it's not the right length for your setup. 95% of people like the standard length but there are definitely situations where you can benefit from a custom length if you have to run the light close to the water or extraordinarily high.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you confirm that you can produce a shade for the Kessil H80?

I can confirm! I have the following shade which is compatible with the Kessil A80 and H80 which share the same housing design.

I print this in PETG so it will be much shinier looking than the render attached. It will look like the Kessil H180 photos @JohnGP posted above.

Attachments

• ERC_Kessil_A80_Light_Shade.png
    ERC_Kessil_A80_Light_Shade.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 121

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still working great, it does not get more than warm to the touch so no bad effects from heat at all.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have these for the Gen5 Radion Xr15? Would there be a qty discount for 8 units?

Back