• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3d Printed Light Shades - XR30, XR15, AI Prime, AI Hydra, Aquaknight, Fluval, and more!

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Eric(Ludnix) and I have been PM'ing back and forth and decided to make a prototype shade for my Kessil H160 fuge light. He made the shade flare out into a square at the bottom and the round top part is larger around than the light itself and uses Nylon thumb screws to attach to the light fixture.

Once made he packaged it up, very nicely I might add, and I received it a few days ago. The shade was easy to attach and adjust to my light and it works FANTASTIC! I was able to adjust it vertically on the light fixture to get just the right amount of light shining only into the fuge section of my sump. Now I won't have to worry about algae growing in the other sections of my sump and on my skimmer. The light and shade are not getting hot at all, it's just slightly warm to the touch and the Nylon thumb screws will easily withstand much hotter temps than I'm getting with my setup. Over sizing the shade top that attaches to the light fixture allows any heat from your light to just rise up and away from the shade/fixture.

Bravo Eric, this shade is worth every penny! One nice effect I didn't expect is that the shade has cut down on the light spilling out from my stand too. Previously I had light blasting out from all the small cracks around the doors and out the back of the stand, it looked like I had a light cannon in there and it was pretty distracting in the evening. This shade cut down on probably about 60-70% of that!! NICE.

I am attaching a few photos of the shade, please don't give me any lip about my dirty looking fuge with wires running willy nilly! lol.
First pic is the shade right out of the box, nicely made, sturdy and fits my light perfectly.
Second pic is of the shade attached to the Kessil H160 refugium light.
Third and final pic is with the light on showing how it keeps the light in your refugium and out of your other chambers.

Thanks again Eric, love the shade!!

IMG_6888.jpg IMG_6889.jpg IMG_6890.jpg
Hi,
Can I purchase the same one but 6" long? I like the square bottom alot. I have the magenta h150 which I believe is the same as this one

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these still available? I'd love to have one for my Kessil H160 fuge light. The spill is terrible.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the thread appears to be dormant.... Does anyone know how to reach the OP to find out if we can still purchase these? I would assume there are some customers on here.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paging @chemisfun11 He is in our local reef forum (assuming its the same person) and is 3d printing and shipping a bunch of different items.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, someone pops up on here that is still making them for the Kessil H160.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @Aclman88 I appreciate the referral. I can help 3D print whatever you find on www.thingiverse.com. for those looking for items previously offered here. I can ship items, but to keep costs down I've stuck with my local forum mostly manhattanreefs.com

@DeputyDog95 I did find a light shroud for the Kessil H160 I could print for you. I am a hobbyist like everyone here that happens to have a large 3D printer.

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydra 64 and Prime light shades - photo by @reefer_nyc

I am making this consolidated thread for my 3d printed aquarium light shades as I now offer them for many brands and models of LED aquarium lights.

Why use a light shade?
If you don't have an enclosed canopy and use a modern LED light fixture you probably are already familiar with the light glare you get from their wide angle lenses, especially when viewing the aquarium the seated position. These light shades block that light spill, but don't impede any of the light going down into the aquarium, this prevents any reduction in PAR or diffraction of the light. If the light fixture has active cooling via a fan than I have designed corresponding ventilation holes to allow airflow to continue unimpeded.

What models of fixtures are they available for?

Radion XR30 Light Shade
$49.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 5 Pro
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 5 Blue
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 4
  • Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 3
Compatible with Radion Diffuser upgrade!
Radion XR15 Light Shade
$39.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 5
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 4
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 3
  • Ecotech Radion XR15 Gen 2
AI Prime Light Shade
$24.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Prime 16HD Reef
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Freshwater
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Refuge
  • Aqua Illumination Prime Sol
AI Hydra 32 Light Shade
$29.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 26HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 26 (non-HD)
AI Hydra 64 Light Shade
$39.99 with Free priority mail shipping!

• Aqua Illumination Hydra 64HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 52HD
  • Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 (non-HD)

Fluval Marine Nano
ReefBreeders Aquaknight V2 light shade
RedSea ReefLED90 light shade
Kessil H160 refugium Light Shade

• Thick PETG Plastic to resist heat
  • Nylon adjustment screws included
  • Adjustable height positioning to perfect your active area of illumination.

Have a different fixture not listed and want one made? PM ME!

You can hear feedback and reviews from some of my previous threads:

All of these 3d prints are designed by myself and available for download for personal use if you have your own printer. They are not allowed to be shared commercially but I am happy to send STL files to anyone who wants to print their own. PM me or find their listings in the 3d printed file archive thread in my signature.

Ready to order? Send me a private message or post here!
Free priority mail shipping for US only, additional charges apply for international orders. International will still receive a shipping discount credit for the amount of $10, though local duties, import taxes, etc may still apply depending on your country.

Need your shade a custom length? Just let me know and I'll adjust the model for free. XR-15 with extended 5" shade pictured below.
Do they just sit on the top or how are they connected?

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Wolters_88

The ones that I make rest on top of the light and fit in the groove. The shade flexes enough for an easy install and you should not have to detach the light from hanging mount.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I have some over in my reefs.com thread and there is a light shade thread here on reef2reef. I will send you the link to my for sale thread shortly via PM.

RonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ludnix If you are still producing these, would love to buy one for a Kessil H160. Algae in the skimmer, not good.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ludnix If you are still producing these, would love to buy one for a Kessil H160. Algae in the skimmer, not good.
The OP ludnix is no longer maintaining this thread. I have been helping those that need these types of items on reefs.com. You can PM me and perhaps I can help.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back